Best Tyres: Vittoria or S-Works

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Looks like I can get a pair of S-Works Turbo tyres (thinking 24mm) or a pair of Vittoria Corsa CX III for a reasonable price.

Which would you recommend? they're to go on a pair of 50mm carbon clinchers for best. Probably dry only usage unless I get caught out.

Comments

• I loved my Vittorias for around 50 (dry) miles until the front got sliced open by a bit of flint then 10 miles later the rear did the same. It was bone dry they just have no puncture protection whatsoever so absolutely useless for this countries little lanes. Others may have faired better but i've gone back to my trusty Scwalbe ultremos
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Had both (S works free with the bike) and I would take the Vittoria though I have never had a problem except a lower milage out of them (than other tyres, think 1500 -2,000) others find they cut too easily.

Ultremos are fantastic, I loved mine, I just wanted to try something different and at 25mm. Got 3000 miles out of them and probably had a bit more except winter arrived.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Anonymous
    I have the rhe CX II and nearly 2000 miles with 1 flint puncture (ridden country wide - New Forest, London commuting, Surrey Hills, Sussex HIlls and Cambridge). Guess its a case of luck!

I am happy with either, the Turbo seem well received by the shopkeeper and I am up for something different. I don't have the new wider rims, but for 23mm vs 24mm I don't think it is material in size.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    coriordan wrote:
    Guess its a case of luck!

This.

I've ridden Vittoria Corsa in IIs and IIIs in clincher and tubs and never had puncture.

It's also worth considering the Veloflex Corsa.
  • Anonymous
    Gone for the CX IIIs as got an even better price than the S-Works, but do want to try them. I think Veloflex Corsas are quite expensive.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Veloflex Corsa's are generally cheaper than Vittoria CX.
    £52.45 from ribble for two.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... elxtyrf351

Did you see the Vittorias for less than that? They are £53.95 for a pair on Ribble.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Vittoria corsa are a cracking tyre and pretty robust despite some of the reviews. I used them for a few years racking up thousands of miles on Derbyshires country lanes and in that time I only got one puncture and that was a huge thorn. 2.5k out of a rear and 7.5 out of a front.
    Just make sure that they're scrubbed-in before you venture out in the wet, it was like riding on ice.
  • Anonymous
    Yep. 43 for the pair (brand new second hand). The S-works are 50 when you trade in your old ones (at cyclesurgery) and also seen them at UK Cycles for 25 each
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Did you see the Vittorias for less than that? They are £53.95 for a pair on Ribble.

Out of curiosity, anyone know why it states in the description "NOT to be used on carbon rims"?
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Ber Nard wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Out of curiosity, anyone know why it states in the description "NOT to be used on carbon rims"?

Essentially from what I managed to find, it's a disclaimer as Veloflex couldn't guarantee that the clincher seat of some wheels wouldn't cut the bead/sidewall of the tyre.
    FWIW I've been running them on some Enve's for 2-3 years without incident and have just put some on some Aero58s.

see post 18...
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 07043.html
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Cheers. Nothing to worry about then, really.
  • If you want fast tyre then go for the Veloflex and thats a cracking deal at Ribble. They are a tight fit mind.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Thanks guys. Will keep an eye on all of them. Riding the last few miles out of my current tyres (the CX II) then will put the CX III on. May get a pair of the S-Works anyway for when the CX III are dead and will bear in mind the veloflex for the future.

For my sins I am not running latex tubes but may look into that too.