Planet X Pro Carbon

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Has anyone bought this frame/bike and have any feedback about these framesets?
(I've searched but not found anything. )

They're on offer at £299 and I'm debating whether to get one or replace the forks/steerer on my Orca. The Orca has had a hard life and will need replacing next year anyway....

TIA

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Excellent bike IME, ride mine just as much as the more expensive bike.
    Review below:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-36958/
    Different options available to the one reviewed.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I love mine, the wheels it came with were a bit of a pain but that was easily fixed and it looks like you won't have that problem.

They are an 'old design' whatever that means, but to me it's a nice feeling lightweight bike which was very good value.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I had one for 18 months and raced it for a year.

In summary, as a group ride bike it's fine, good bang for your buck and my white one (I think) looked nice.

However, it was a flexy old hector, and I found racing it an unpleasent experience, wobbly fron end and dodgy power transfer. Most of this was imagined.

i'd recommend one.
    Insert bike here:
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    love mine i brought it in january this year and so far have clocked up over 1300 miles on it :D

ive made a few changes to the original spec (not because it needed it but because i wanted too) but overall its a great package and now mine wieghs in at 7.5kgs with pedals, garmin mount and cages 8)

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13019233
  • venster
    Thanks all for your replies, it seems they are good value then. Raggyone - your bike looks good.

I am a believer of you get what you pay for and £300 for a carbon frame set seems too good to be true.
  • venster
    Have they got an alloy steerer or full carbon?
  • indyjones
    indyjones Posts: 114
    Friend at work has one, can't really fault it cracking deal. :)
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I bought the blue frame last June from the Px Ebay outlet for £349 and thought that was a bargain.
    I built it with SRAM Apex and it weighs about 8kg.
    Its my better weather bike and I've done about 4000 miles.
    It still looks good as the surface finish seems pretty robust.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I'm glad you started this thread so I don't have to!

I'm looking to replace my current Trek 1.1 frameset with something a bit lighter and also the right size (mine is one or two sizes too small atm) and at the moment I'm thinking of the Kenisis racelight 4s as it will be durable, a bit lighter with mudguard mountings and can still hold its own come race day.

I just saw the Planet X pro carbon frameset at £300 earlier this afternoon which looks a great price, and the frame will certainly be lighter than my current steed. Sure, it lacks proper mudguard mounts and will be a little more iffy if I crash it, but as my current bike has to have clip on guards most of the year between races and I haven't had a big wreck riding yet so wouldn't be too worried about the crashing side of things.

However, mpatts comments about being too flexy for racing are concerning- does anyone else have any experience with having flexy steering or not being stiff when putting the power down?
    Also any new frame will be used for training and racing so would need to be fairly durable (i.e. not crack after 10k miles etc)
    Not so fussed about comfort- as long as its no harsher than my current alloy frame/ forks then I'm happy.

If anyone has used their Planet X pro for racing or can comment on their durability if you've been riding one for a while now (I know they've been around for a while now) I'd be very grateful if you could share your experiences!

Cheers!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm glad you started this thread so I don't have to!

I'm looking to replace my current Trek 1.1 frameset with something a bit lighter and also the right size (mine is one or two sizes too small atm) and at the moment I'm thinking of the Kenisis racelight 4s as it will be durable, a bit lighter with mudguard mountings and can still hold its own come race day.

I just saw the Planet X pro carbon frameset at £300 earlier this afternoon which looks a great price, and the frame will certainly be lighter than my current steed. Sure, it lacks proper mudguard mounts and will be a little more iffy if I crash it, but as my current bike has to have clip on guards most of the year between races and I haven't had a big wreck riding yet so wouldn't be too worried about the crashing side of things.

However, mpatts comments about being too flexy for racing are concerning- does anyone else have any experience with having flexy steering or not being stiff when putting the power down?
    Also any new frame will be used for training and racing so would need to be fairly durable (i.e. not crack after 10k miles etc)
    Not so fussed about comfort- as long as its no harsher than my current alloy frame/ forks then I'm happy.

If anyone has used their Planet X pro for racing or can comment on their durability if you've been riding one for a while now (I know they've been around for a while now) I'd be very grateful if you could share your experiences!

Cheers!

I've had clubmates who have had similar problems with the flex and its something that crops up in reviews of the bike/frameset too.

Basically its a well known fact that its a relatively flexy frame, but for £300 carbon frame you can't really expect that much!

The Kinesis 4s would be a much better option.
  • I'm also looking at the Planet X Pro Carbon in the Ultimate version with Campagnolo Chorus 2015. This is to replace my first road bike a Felt Z95. Can any one give an opinion if this is a decent deal. I'm doing the Prudential Ride London in August and I'm looking for that next level over the Felt.

Link: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPCHR ... -road-bike

Cheers in advance.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'm also looking at the Planet X Pro Carbon in the Ultimate version with Campagnolo Chorus 2015. This is to replace my first road bike a Felt Z95. Can any one give an opinion if this is a decent deal. I'm doing the Prudential Ride London in August and I'm looking for that next level over the Felt.

Link: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPCHR ... -road-bike

Cheers in advance.

Hate to poo-poo, but that's not 2015 Chorus.
    Insert bike here:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I bought the frame a couple of months ago, well pleased with it.
  • mpatts - yes, your right!

OK, I now need to find the best bike I can get for £1,300 unless even with the older version of Chorus it's a good deal.