Sram or Shimano Cassette. Red Setup.

ara3791
ara3791 Posts: 378
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new 10 speed cassette. I'm running a full Sram Red groupset and new Sram 1091 chain.

I currently have a 1070 cassette, but I'm not sure which cassette to get to replace it. I will be looking at 11-25 ratio but should I:

Get another 1070.
1090 but I'd struggle to justify the cost.
Shimano ultegra or dura ace, would they be ok with sram red and 1091 chain.

Any advice / experience you can share would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I'd get Tiagra for about £10 and a little extra weight.
    All 10sp Shimano and Sram cassettes will work.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    As above,

speding money on cassettes is almost criminal...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Is it not worth buying more of a middling quality cassette in the OP's situation?; like Ultegra or at least 105?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    ben----- wrote:
    Is it not worth buying more of a middling quality cassette in the OP's situation?; like Ultegra or at least 105?

no... I have owned Alivio, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace cassettes... there is no difference
    left the forum March 2023
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I bought a tiagra cassette recently and noticed two things:
    1) It has no spacer. Shimano 10 speed cassettes used to come with a spacer because Shimano had a proprietary 10 speed only freehub that was slightly narrower than 9 speed and had higher splines (Dura ace and I think early 10 speed Ultegra freehubs on factory wheels). They dropped that a few years ago so I guess they just make the Tiagra cassette to the slightly wider 8/9/10 standard with no need for a spacer.

2) No aluminium spider for the larger cogs. Heavier but may be useful for people that like to build their own cassette ratios.

In your case I'd say go for a 105 cassette as it is a good price / weight balance. Especially if you have an alloy lockring you can re-use.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Functionally I'd agree. Once it's on there and you're riding you can't tell if it's a Sora or a Dura Ace cassette back there.

But having spent a load of money on a full Red groupset, whether for weight reduction, function or posing, it's going to be difficult to slap a cheaper, heavier cassette on with it. Human nature innit?

Given that cassettes are essentially consumables, I'd just decide how much you're prepared to pay for one and then shop about online to find the best bang for your buck.

Instinct would suggest that a SRAM cassette would play nicest with a SRAM chain; I've always found that with Shimano cassettes and chains, but have no experience with SRAM so I could be talking bollocks.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    On Sram Red 10, a Dura Ace Cassette and Chain combination seems to be quieter, and is smoother shifting than the Sram offerings. If that cassette is too expensive then get an Ultegra one.

I started on a Sram Cassette, went to Dura Ace, back to a Sram one like you have, then back to another Dura Ace. It's better. Couple of other people I know have tried Dura Ace Cassettes and Chains on Sram Red 10 and found it to be an improvement too.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Red with a DA cassette here too, though I've changed the DA chain for a KMC X10SL which works just as quietly. My Foil came from Scott with the DA cassette and chain so they obviously rate the combination.

I try and pick up new or hardly used cassettes second hand, people are always taking them off new bikes or doing a few miles then changing for a different ratio. The 12-27 DA I have on now was 40 quid and hadn't been used! When I see another cheap enough I'll pick that up too.