Shimano Tiagra to Ultegra cassette swap :(

markevosound
markevosound Posts: 34
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Evening all - I think I'm going mad!

I took my old Mavic Kysrium SL's into LBS for overhaul last week. First I removed Ultegra 6700 cassette (and spacer) so I could put it on my Xero XCR-1's which have been running fine with a Tiagra 4600 cassette.

The Ultegra cassette doesn't want to play ball! There was no extra spacer with the Tiagra cassette so I put the Ultegra one straight on but when tightened it had loads of play. So….. I used the spacer from the Mavics and there was considerably less play (still a little) but now the rear mech is all out of line and the chain seizes when in 10th gear!

Am I being an idiot? I thought all Shimano 10 speed stuff worked together?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    All 10 speed stuff except Tiagra! There is always an except!

But it's easy enough; Tiagra doesn't need any spacers on a 10 speed hub so just take the spacer out and you should be good.
  • Thanks for quick reply but maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

I'm trying to put the Ultegra cassette on where the Tiagra has been (on a 10 speed hub) - From what you're saying I might need a spacer for the Ultegra cassette?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes that's right. 10 speed Ultegra and 105 need a seperate spacer. Tiagra doesn't (actually the spacer is there just built in).
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Put another spacer behind the Ultegra cassette. a 1mm or 1.85mm

Then re-adjust your derailleur limit stops.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, the 10-speed 4600 stuff is slightly different to the 5700 and 6700; this is something that caught me out recently, but it should still work fine presuming you still have all the bits.

First off, the Mavic spacer is only for running Shimano cassettes on Mavic wheels, don't transfer this to the Xeros.

Secondly, the 4600 cassette is slightly wider than 6700 (and 5700), so doesn't require the usual 1 mm spacer that comes with 6700 and 5700 cassettes. If the 4600 was working fine on the Xeros, you should be able to just transfer over the 6700 cassette with the 1 mm Shimano spacer and leave the gear indexing as it is. What's strange is that you say you've already tried it with the Mavic spacer, which is even thicker than the Shimano one IIRC, and there's still some play, so perhaps the play is in in the Xeros freehub?

Were you using a spacer on the Xeros hub with the 4600 cassette?

Basically to summarise:

6700 cassette + 1 mm Shimano spacer = 4600 cassette width