Giro Del Trentino ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kendrick Lamar has got a hot new b-side on his next single. A cycling re-rub of King Kunta

Rap along yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRK7PVJFbS8

[Got bored at this point]

Top work, chapeau :-)

You should have at least got to "Aru are you OK? Aru are you OK?" though :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

You should have at least got to "Aru are you OK? Aru are you OK?" though :-D

Awwww, I wish I'd thought of that!

Dammit.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    The other is still trying to crack a top 5 in a GT. Lets hope he makes that target come true in his 6th year competing in GTs.

Oh dear.
    I can hear the clutching of straws.
    Do you know how many years it was before Spain's greatest ever rider first podiumed in a GT? One more than 6...

He was a nice, kind man, too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited April 2015
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    The other is still trying to crack a top 5 in a GT. Lets hope he makes that target come true in his 6th year competing in GTs.

Oh dear.
    Do you know how many years it was before Spain's greatest ever rider first podiumed in a GT? One more than 6...

Let me give you a little information.

Contador's GT record: 31st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 5th, 1st, 4th, WD (broken leg), 1st

Which is more than enough for you to keep quiet.

But just in case you want to pipe up, one more piece of information:
    Contador was 24 when he won his first GT. Richie is currently 30 and his best place finish in a GT is 7th.

ps. Alberto is the best not Indurain. And that is even discounting for the fact Indurain was probably tooled up to his eyeballs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Contador's GT record: 31st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 5th, 1st, 4th, WD (broken leg), 1st

Actually, it's:

31st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, DQ, DQ, DQ, 1st, 4th, WD, 1st
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ps. Alberto is the best not Indurain. And that is even discounting for the fact Indurain was probably tooled up to his eyeballs.

My irony meter just exploded.
  • frenchfighter
    Maybe it needs re-calibrating?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Porte_Richie_SaxoBankProfile11.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    It strikes me that the only reason dirty bertie's riding the giro/tour double is because it gives him some excuses for not winning either in a win/win situation.

wins Giro & Tour - becomes confirmed as the greatest dirty rider of his generation
    wins Giro but not Tour - fanboi apologists saying he nearly won the Tour and would have if not for the Giro
    no Giro but Tour - fanboi apologists out in force saying the opposite of the above
    neither - attempting both was just too much and he would have won which ever he concentrated on

By saying he's attempting to win both he's bought himself a reason for failing to win either.

Personally I reckon he'll scrape the Giro from Porte (sadly) and get 3rd in the Tour.

(I like the "various reasons" quote from a couple of pages ago when referring to bertie's "absence".)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Oh dear.

Let me give you a little information.

Which is more than enough for you to keep quiet.

But just in case you want to pipe up, one more piece of information:
    Contador was 24 when he won his first GT. Richie is currently 30 and his best place finish in a GT is 7th.

I'm never quite sure if pointing out your inconsistencies is akin to arguing with the special kid with "behavioural difficulties" that everyone in the know gives a wide berth… but anyway…

The point being contested was not a comparison of palmares, but that a talented domestique should have maintained high level GC placings - rather than doing their job to the best of their ability and that their overall standings essentially be an irrelevance. Much like that traditional scenario has been since GT's were first competed in with teams.
    In addition to this, it is possible for some riders to apply themselves to transforming from such a role into GT contenders and even victors - Indurain is one, Wiggins is another… and perhaps Porte will be, too.

Obviously.

You agreed that comparing Porte with Contador is ridiculous. Only a fool would compare the palmares of Contador - team leader since 2007 - with someone like Porte.
    Then you went and did it again.
  • frenchfighter
    Ok well further to your rambling post above, I'm glad I'm right. If Porte should beat Contador in the Giro it will be highly irregular.

Ps. Contador was not team leader in 2007, Levi was. You can't hold pure talent back though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    In addition to this, it is possible for some riders to apply themselves to transforming from such a role into GT contenders and even victors - Indurain is one, Wiggins is another… and perhaps Porte will be, too.
    You missed Bjarne Riis the Journeyman Domestic who was taught about the Magic Wand to win a GT.
    I suppose that Greg LeMond would qualify in the modern era.
    Like Richie Porte there have been many well paid riders who are happy with their lot to look after their No 1 and Porte is luckier than most to be able to score where their No 1 cannot do so. (not even Paris-Nice)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

This has made my weekend.
  • sjmclean wrote:

This has made my weekend.

Well I just read this today and it's certainly started my week of with a chuckle
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Interview in Pro Cycling Giro Preview Issue.

"Partly I feel that no matter how difficult the Tour de France is, another Tour de France, won by itself, wouldn't add much to my palmares. But winning the Giro and Tour in the same year puts things on another level"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

"Partly I feel that no matter how difficult the Tour de France is, another Tour de France, won by itself, wouldn't add much to my palmares. But winning the Giro and Tour in the same year puts things on another level"
    While the children are chuckling then I can have a hearty laugh at this one. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

So the race that he hasn't actually won since 2009 isn't worth anything on it's own. Yeah, right.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Procycling have published an inadvertent Doper's Special with their Giro edition. Contador, Valverde, Basso and Rebellin all feature. Indurain is in there too. :lol:

DD.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:

So the race that he hasn't actually won since 2009 isn't worth anything on it's own. Yeah, right.

Marginal Wins.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:

It's going to be terribly embarrassing if Porte and the pesky kids from Giro 2014 foil the plan. Good on Froome, facing the inevitable Quintana hammering with no excuses. So far.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's going to be terribly embarrassing if Porte and the pesky kids from Giro 2014 foil the plan. Good on Froome, facing the inevitable Quintana hammering with no excuses. So far.

Froome has already played his 'unsuitable parcours' card.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    RichN95 wrote:

He says that in the context of his existing palmares, which is a fair comment.

He basically wants to go for a big achievement which he hasn't managed yet one last time before he gets too old.

Read the entire interview before you get all sneery.
  • RichN95.

He basically wants to go for a big achievement one last time before he gets too old.

But he hasn't won the biggest race for six years and those palmares come from before his doping ban (and he's only won it twice anyway). His post ban palmares aren't of the quality that he can dismiss the Tour like that. I would have thought he would want to show that he can win a Tour without Del Moral, Celaya, Bruyneel et al (even if he was actually clean in 2007 & 2009).
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

He basically wants to go for a big achievement one last time before he gets too old.

But he hasn't won the biggest race for six years and those palmares come from before his doping ban (and he's only won it twice anyway). His post ban palmares aren't of the quality that he can dismiss the Tour like that. I would have thought he would want to show that he can win a Tour without Del Moral, Celaya, Bruyneel et al (even if he was actually clean in 2007 & 2009).

I don't think neither he, nor his main audience and fan base, Spain, see it that way.

He's already proved he's the best stage racer of his generation by some way.

I think it's a legit position. Certainly as legit as Wiggins deciding one Tour was enough and moving on to TTs, Paris Roubaix and the hour record.

Don't think it's something to be sneered at.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't think neither he, nor his main audience and fan base, Spain, see it that way.

He's already proved he's the best stage racer of his generation by some way.

I think it's a legit position. Certainly as legit as Wiggins deciding one Tour was enough and moving on to TTs, Paris Roubaix and the hour record.

Don't think it's something to be sneered at.
    Put it this way. If Arsene Wenger said that winning the league was of no value to him if it wasn't with a cup as well people would point out that he hasn't won the league for eleven years and take the p1ss. And rightly so.

Big new challenges are people who have nothing to prove. If you haven't won the biggest prize for many years you have plenty to prove.

(Wiggins knew he wasn't going to win another Tour)

I'm not sneering. I'm just seeing it for what it is - playing the percentages and targeting the softer GT.
  • rick_chasey
    You are sneering Rich. C'mon. Wasn't born yesterday. If you're not, you're coming across like you are!

To him, he's won 3 Tours, and plenty of other GTs, so winning another wouldn't be all that big for him, whereas a Giro Tour double would.

Guy's heading towards the end of his career, why not give the big 1-2 a go?

DOn't think Contador cares what 'people' think anywhere near as much as you think he does.

----

Anyway, Porte's gotta be at least joint favourite for Giro after this & Paris Nice, right?
  • RichN95.
    You are sneering Rich. C'mon. Wasn't born yesterday. If you're not, you're coming across like you are!

To him, he's won 3 Tours, and plenty of other GTs, so winning another wouldn't be all that big for him, whereas a Giro Tour double would.

Guy's heading towards the end of his career, why not give the big 1-2 a go?

DOn't think Contador cares what 'people' think anywhere near as much as you think he does.
    If he'd said that he's only got a couple of years left and he wants to try to as many GTs as he can in that time, much like Evans did, then I'd agree with him. But he's talking about a double when the biggest prize has eluded him for so long.

If I'm in Contador's position, all that would concern me is showing that I'm number one again. Beating Froome, Quintana and Nibali on the biggest stage. Winning the big showdown. And the Giro gets in the way of that.
    I'm fairly sure that elsewhere the thing that drives Cavendish is not winning races, but beating Kittel at the Tour (preferably in Paris) and everything is geared towards that.
  • In all fairness, that article wasn't particularly well written in my opinion.

For one, it said he won the 2011 Giro then says he's won 6 GTs in total, and the whole thing was very disjointed
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Lets face it, the Giro is a much better race than the Tour anyway. The Tour is largely hype.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    phreak wrote:
    Lets face it, the Giro is a much better race than the Tour anyway. The Tour is largely hype.

No that's just cycling snob b***ocks. The Tour is the race that has the top riders and is therefore the better race. The Giro has had to rely more and more on gimmicky stages to get attention, the Tour gets hype as it is the biggest race and the one that the riders really want to win other than some Italian riders.