29er for cross country overkil?

slinkydonkey
slinkydonkey Posts: 27
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I like doing alot of the Evans Ride it events and I do go to Afen Forest a bit so I want a good all rounder.
I see I can get a 2014 GIANT TRANCE X2 for £1500 which looks like a bargin. However its got 29Inch wheels.

Two bike shops ive been to so far say they don't recommend then for short people like me im 5"6
I would be a bit worried in a steep uphill how hard it would be to get a 29er going again.

So are there any other short people on there who can tell me what its like to get a up a big hill on a 29er!

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They sound like muppets.

Some really short people (far shorter than you) can have issues fitting onto a 29er, but in the main they're fine. Try one, I'd not change back for XC riding. Getting one going is a non issue. They climb better too IMO. It's all personal though.
  • Ok yes good point ill try one up a local hill best test.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    njee20 wrote:
    They sound like muppets.

Agreed

One of my workmates is 5ft 1 tall and she rides a 29er perfectly well
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ok yes good point ill try one up a local hill best test.

It's the best test if all you want to do is ride up local hills. Something more rounded may be a better bet... Irrelevant how well it climbs if you hate it on the descents.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Ok yes good point ill try one up a local hill best test.

It's the best test if all you want to do is ride up local hills. Something more rounded may be a better bet... Irrelevant how well it climbs if you hate it on the descents.

Well ive booked a GIANT TRANCE 27.5 for a weekend in May and im going to a MTB open day in Queen Elizabeth Country Park next month too so hopefully they have some 29ers there so I will be able to get a much better idea.