Liege-Bastogne-Liege *Spoiler*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    11th for My Man Meintjes. Love seeing Qhubeka at the sharp end.

Worth remembering he's only 23. Much, much more to come from him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Valverde moves to the top of the UCI WT ranking - pushing Porte into 2nd.
    thegibdog wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    So they all sit waiting for Valverde to chase, he does, and none of them can take advantage and counter once he pulled in Moreno.
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe too.

If you haven't got the legs you haven't got the legs. Valverde is not your average rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Nice looking train station there.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Hahaha! My man Valverde does not disappoint. Went for it at 500m.

As far out as that :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    These uphill sprinters lack the cojones to attack despite the inevitability of a Valverde drubbing.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    A shame Quintana was another non entity.
    11th for My Man Meintjes. Love seeing Qhubeka at the sharp end.

Worth remembering he's only 23. Much, much more to come from him.

Alaphillipe is 22!

Yates not too far either I think.

Superb to see.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    thegibdog wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    So they all sit waiting for Valverde to chase, he does, and none of them can take advantage and counter once he pulled in Moreno.
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe too.

If you haven't got the legs you haven't got the legs. Valverde is not your average rider.
    He's certainly not. I think the average rider is doing things differently these days.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    ddraver wrote:
    Kiri beats Kwiatowski, Gilbert, Gallopin... #EveryBigCyclistsHero

Yeah, what a monster. Makes you wonder what a cyclist he would have been had he been properly focused on riding for himself over these years.

boring
  • frenchfighter
    Alaphillipe:
    Amstel: 7th
    Fleche: 2nd
    LBL: 2nd

Some riders would retire happy with that.

Alaphillipe is a 2nd year pro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Hanky for J-Rod.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    We really have lacked a courageous rider with form for these races this year. Nibali, Kwiatkowski and Gilbert probably fit the bill for courageous but all three were clearly way below par today.

That makes two really, really poor editions of L-B-L in a row.

Alaphilippe really does look an exciting prospect however. 22 years of age. His presence in the final group was the last remaining thread of interest I had in that finish.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Most importantly, Alaphillipe was the only rider on the podium with a cycling cap.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Macaloon wrote:
    These uphill sprinters lack the cojones to attack despite the inevitability of a Valverde drubbing.

This is the problem for me. In a position like that Valverde is going to win far more than he loses so why are so few riders scared to risk trying further out? I know tiredness plays a part but today Katusha were about the only ones who tried to stop the inevitable. Possibly didn't help that a few contenders got taken out in the big crash I guess.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Damn, just realised the cycling season is now over.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Valverde judged that to perfection.
    Fair play.

hurrah !!

Classy rider that boy :D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    Damn, just realised the cycling season is now over.

Think it was over a couple of weeks ago.

With my tongue out of my cheek, though, this year's Tour could be really good.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I enjoyed that - decent enough race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Pross wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

This is the problem for me. In a position like that Valverde is going to win far more than he loses so why are so few riders scared to risk trying further out? I know tiredness plays a part but today Katusha were about the only ones who tried to stop the inevitable. Possibly didn't help that a few contenders got taken out in the big crash I guess.

This, for me, too.
    The hilly classics have become one dimensional tactical affairs.
    Strong teams control the race until the pointy end.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    So I was half talking to my mate, half watching the race. Genuinely hadn't even realised Valverde was racing until the final couple of K's... Tactically perfect from Valverde but it's not a glorious win. God knows why the others didn't attack earlier on. J Rod and Valverde in a bunch with a hill at the finish? Not sure what other result you would expect really.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Tactically perfect from Valverde but it's not a glorious win. God knows why the others didn't attack earlier on.
    I think his team did the work for him by chasing down the breaks and keeping him comfortable.
    Team work won that race and they all win money. (not the glory though)
    `
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Pross wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

This, for me, too.

What's the solution?

Smaller teams?
  • frenchfighter
    Teuns and Formolo only 1.10 back. Orica rider was Weening not Yates as I thought but Yates still a respectable place at 2.41 back.

100 finishers. Quintana @ 10mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

This, for me, too.

What's the solution?

Smaller teams?

I reckon UCI points are the problem, better to sit in and come 5th than go all out from 30km and then get caught and dropped. I don't know what you do about that though.
  • Pross
    From a team point of view I think Astana in particular and also Tinkoff and OGE gave it a go by putting decent second string riders up the road. Katusha also played it quite well at the end but JRod just doesn't have the sprint to beat Valverde unless it is on the much steeper slopes so they probably shouldn't have helped Movistar chase the break down. Sky had a half hearted go with Roche getting in a small move before his crash and Siutsou briefly trying to bridge to the break and Ettix worked quite hard but Kwia seemed to be feeling the effects of a tough start to the season. The others may as well have not been there.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Has Valverde thanked Stybar yet for bringing back the three all alone?
  • I know he's not popular, but there has to be some credit for 2nd, 1st & 1st in AGR, FW & LBL.

So close to the clean sweep.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    I know he's not popular, but there has to be some credit for 2nd, 1st & 1st in AGR, FW & LBL.

So close to the clean sweep.

My missus (who races) and her potty-mouth sums him up perfectly - on watching his L-B-L (and after we'd just watched his F-W victory), she exclaimed "f*cking hell - he's a f*cking f*cker, isn't he!"... After a moment of reflection, I had to admit she had a point. That's the thing; when you go into the race as favourite, have your team play all the right moves - then cap it off with a peerless finale... You're the don.

Proper racer.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    So ridiculously consistent.

All year round, whatever the race, he'll probably feature on the podium.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I said in another thread, he is the best all round cyclist in the peloton. I don't like him but I respect how good he is. The fact he is 35 makes it even more impressive.

I can't see him maintaining this kind of level for more than two seasons.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Milton50 wrote:
    I said in another thread, he is the best all round cyclist in the peloton. I don't like him but I respect how good he is. The fact he is 35 makes it even more impressive.

I can't see him maintaining this kind of level for more than two seasons.

I think he's doing pretty well concidering he's already 35. Two more might be pushing it.