Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    no, they need to be tighter to hold the bead on to the rim
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    ddraver wrote:
    no, they need to be tighter to hold the bead on to the rim

Not a mission of me getting them fitting to my SL23 rim then
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ???

If you use the proper technique then you ll be fine, just don't expect it to be the same as a different system
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    Does anyone know where I could find a Schwalbe One 23/25 ASAP? Everywhere I've tried is showing out of stock. It's moments like this that make me consider switching back to tubes! :(
  • primalcarl
    I ordered from http://www.xxcycle.com/tyre-schwalbe-on ... 23,,en.php

I remembered I got my Ultremo Tubeless from them last year (French). They only have 23's in stock but worked out at £62 for a pair including shipping, compared to £67 at Bike24 (both using Paypal)
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Bike24 definitely have the 25c in stock
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I just ordered a pair of Schwalbe ones at starbike.com (together with some RR440 rims)...they are very quick & efficient although postage obviously takes a couple of days.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    FWIW, I fitted Schwalbe One (non tubeless) onto Pacenti SL25 really easily. Didn't need levers at all.

I will try the tubeless shortly. Even if it's a bit more difficult shouldn't be too bad with levers given I don't have to worry about killing tubes!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    apparently you should be a little more careful with levers and tubeless as you dont want to damage either the rim or the bead. Let us know how you get on with Schwalbe tubeless.

found the following interesting on the Schwalbe site

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/zubehoer.html
    TUBELESS RIM TAPE
    The tubeless rim tape is extremely user friendly and at the same time very high pressure resistant. Even on road bikes a single ply of tape is sufficient.

and
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/newsreader/t ... kopie.html
    Tubeless rim tape + tubeless valves

We now have rim tapes and valves to seal conventional wheels for tubeless use. No need to invest in new and expensive wheels in order to enjoy the tubeless feeling.

You will find accessories for tubeless conversion here. >>

wold be interested if anyone has tried one layer of Schwalbe tape on non tubeless rims with Schalbe One TLR with success
  • primalcarl
    My tyres arrived today from xxcycles, quick service!
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13025354

Schwalbe One 25mm for sale after losing battle with tyre and rim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,178
    ... after losing battle with tyre and rim.

Why?
    left the forum March 2023
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    See earlier post.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    It seems Schwalbe One is the tyre of choice, yet availability is a challenge.
    On the MTB, Its pretty easy to use non tubeless tyres as tubeless, i.e. a little extra sealant and rim tape and it seals up nicely. Has anyone tried that with road tyres?

Admittedly, the sidewalls of non UST MTB tyres are "softer" or not reinforced, but that has not proven to be an issue ever.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bontie wrote:
    It seems Schwalbe One is the tyre of choice, yet availability is a challenge.
    On the MTB, Its pretty easy to use non tubeless tyres as tubeless, i.e. a little extra sealant and rim tape and it seals up nicely. Has anyone tried that with road tyres?

Admittedly, the sidewalls of non UST MTB tyres are "softer" or not reinforced, but that has not proven to be an issue ever.

It's only the third time that people ask the same question this morning... :roll:

People have tried, quite a few had the tyre blowing off the rim... I suggest you don't try, but you can always try at your own risk... :wink:
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    It's only the third time that people ask the same question this morning... :roll:

Sorry, don't read all posts on all threads, assuming the sticky one is the comprehensive one...

Fair enough, expected as much as you obviously need pressure to seat the tyre, and when pressure goes it might roll off, which kind of defeats the purpose, I suppose.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bontie wrote:
    Fair enough, expected as much as you obviously need pressure to seat the tyre, and when pressure goes it might roll off, which kind of defeats the purpose, I suppose.

The problem seems to be the opposite. As you get to 100 PSI or more, the tyre just blows off the rim... but running safe pressures is difficult as those tyres don't have enough rigidity in the carcass to run at 70-90 PSI.

It would be nice to have an insight from a tyre manufacturer, but I guess it's still all very secret when it comes totubeless
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks to Mario and Olivier at Sabma Benelux, I now have a pair of IRC Racelite 25 mm tubeless to test ride and review... :mrgreen:
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Just waiting on some 25c Schwalbe One's from bike24, they're back in stock. Dunno for how long though, seem to sell out very quickly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Another great day for tubeless... on their very last ride before retirement, I had two punctures on a day when everybody seemed to be at the side of the road fixing a flat... not me, both sealed. The first (front) coming down Ranmore common at 40 mph was potentially hairy on a clincher, but with tubeless ended up in a big spray that stopped within ten seconds... no need to top up the pressure.
    The other (rear) was only a tiny one I noticed when I spotted some latex on the chain stays...

The One 25 have been an outstanding pair of tyres and reluctantly after over 2,000 miles I am going to take them off... time to test the new IRC... 8)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Just trying to decide between the Hutchinson Galactik and the Schwalbe One for my race/summer bike. Sounds like the Galactik would be the better option for racing but just pondering whether their reported fragility would put me off riding the bike with them on the rest of the time... Galactiks being £15 cheaper inc postage for a pair (from Chain Reaction with BC discount) compared to the Ones (from XXcycle) may sway my decision.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I've put getting on for 900km on my Galactiks now which is my first experience of tubeless. I don't race and wasn't aware of their reported fragility although I do know they are relatively light. I've been very happy with them so far to be honest. Actually, insanely happy, until today when I actually rode them in conditions other than bone dry. It wasn't actually raining but had been raining by the time I got there and the surface was quite greasy (rural dung/diesel/deadthings stuff I guess) and I definitely felt less confident on them, felt like they were trying to get away from me on corners and I wasn't really going for it. I will reserve judgement for now but thought you might be interested.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Cheers for that munkster, I'm running Rubino Pro Slick at the moment which some find dodgy in the wet too so I'm guessing they will be similar. How are you finding the wear rate?
  • munkster
    How are you finding the wear rate?

Until getting a bit grimy today they looked pretty much good as new which has surprised me given our lovely carpet-smooth roads in the lanes of Derbyshire ;-)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Any one know if you can get hold of these in the UK yet.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/latestnew ... -tubeless/

Want to give road tubeless a go and not really that impressed with the STANS as I would need 400's at my weight.

Any one tried a set of these?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Right scratch that. Found them , Called the Argents in the UK.

Also found a review that says the Stans 340 are good for 105kg rider? Superstar components however only state 85kg. which is it?

UGO what would you recommend? I m looking for sub 1500 grams, Tubeless , aluminium clincher , with a tyre profile of 25mm for better comfort and less flats. My weight is 85 to 90kg. Not racing but want to hold my own in chain gang!
  • ugo.santalucia
    tim wand wrote:
    Right scratch that. Found them , Called the Argents in the UK.

Also found a review that says the Stans 340 are good for 105kg rider? Superstar components however only state 85kg. which is it?

UGO what would you recommend? I m looking for sub 1500 grams, Tubeless , aluminium clincher , with a tyre profile of 25mm for better comfort and less flats. My weight is 85 to 90kg. Not racing but want to hold my own in chain gang!

I think only the Pacenti SL 23 fits your requirements (20/28 would be my advice). If you have time to wait, the new 2015 one should be a much better rim in all possible ways.
    It is also paramount that you go for a decent build with adequate tension

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/04/26/ro ... e-tension/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fitted the IRC roadlite this morning... went on no problem, hands only. bit more work then usual to inflate them, but once track pumped they do stay rock solid even without sealant, as a sign of a good fit on the rim.
    In the meantime I got the RRP for them at 55 Euro, which is in line with the Schwalbe ONE... they are the same size (25 that balloons to 28 on my wide rims) and same weight as the Schwalbe

Can't wait to put a few miles in them... :mrgreen:
  • munkster
    Sounds good. Re: your article about overcompensating on the spoke tension, when I built these Pacenti SL23's up I tensioned them up (using Park Tools meter) to just about the recommended amount (possibly a shade above but not much more). It has never occurred to me to go higher to account for tyre pressures but it does obviously make sense that their in-service tension will be lower. They seem absolutely fine so far (as have all the other wheels I have built for myself and one or two others with many 000s of kms on them) - is the general advice (tubeless or otherwise) to go beyond that max tension or is this just your own findings that you are passing on?