Investigating plusher options for my Anthem

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have a 2014 Giant Anthem and I love it. Since getting it I've become much more confident and am riding trails harder and faster than before. Sadly I won't be getting a longer travel trail bike anytime soon (although I'd like to!) so I'm thinking about what I can do to my Anthem to make it plusher and even more trail friendly.

Was thinking about a 120mm fork (I suspect anything more will affect geo too much) but not sure which models would be a suitable upgrade. The Anthem has the Giant overdrive 1.5" steerer so I guess I would need a new headset and stem and resale opportunities for the Reba RL Solo Air will be limited.

Or are there suspension upgrades offered by servicing companies I could investigate? The rear is a Monarch RT.

Appreciate any advice, including telling me there's no point! Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    With only 100mm of travel its never going to be particularly plush.
    I had a 120mm Reba on my 26" Anthem. It rode pretty nicely.
    The Reba has fairly basic damping, even in the higher spec models. Also look at the Marzocchi 320 and Rockshox SID.
    I have had a couple Monarch shocks and dont like them, theyre very harsh. I believe they can be tuned. I know the Anthem uses a really short stroke shock so your options for replacement will be limited.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Is it overdrive or overdrive 2? Overdrive should be a normal tapered steerer.
  • rockmonkeysc
    2014 was Overdrive 2. 1.25 - 1.5 tapered
  • Antm81
    For some models, not entirely sure on the Anthem but on the Trance it was only the 2 upwards that had Overdrive 2, lower models used a normal tapered fork.
  • Escher303
    not sure why my reply from earlier hasn't appeared but: thanks both, my Anthem is a 2014 2 and has a tapered steerer. I think my choice is between using what I have, spending some money on new forks or using that money towards picking up a 26er used bargain of which there seem to be a few around. I like 650B and 29er wheels and never got on with my XC 26er. I think that was just the geo and an older long travel 26er will be just fine but it isn't something I'm going to know the answer to until I ride a 140mm 26er to find out.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I got an email from a trader the other day offering excellent value Sid World Cups - full black box dampers, carbon crown, silly weight and still a decently stiff fork. Expect to see them hit the usual suspects soon enough at incredible prices. That would be my choice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Overdrive and Overdrive 2 are both tapered. Overdrive is the standard inch and an eighth top part. Overdrive 2 has the non standard inch and a quater at the top.
    According to Giants website the 2014 Anthem 2 does have Overdrive 2 so a new headset top bearing and stem will be needed with the new forks.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I've just put 120mm RS Revelation on my Anthem which in the info said it was Overdrive 2 but when I took it apart to measure the steerer it came in as a std 1 1/8" and not 1 1/4", only had one ride around Coed Y Brenin so far but it did make the front end very plush indeed, I bought them off someone who had bought a bike and swapped his forks straight away for pikes, so to be fair they are spotless and when they came in the post compared to my old forks it was like he had forgot to put them in the box.

P160415_11.04_01_zps6vgokvkl.jpg
  • Escher303
    iwilldoit wrote:
    I've just put 120mm RS Revelation on my Anthem which in the info said it was Overdrive 2 but when I took it apart to measure the steerer it came in as a std 1 1/8" and not 1 1/4", only had one ride around Coed Y Brenin so far but it did make the front end very plush indeed, I bought them off someone who had bought a bike and swapped his forks straight away for pikes, so to be fair they are spotless and when they came in the post compared to my old forks it was like he had forgot to put them in the box.

P160415_11.04_01_zps6vgokvkl.jpg

That's interesting, thanks. What year is your Anthem?
  • Antm81
    Personally I'd swap the air shaft on your rebas first and up the travel to 120mm. As you said with the forks being overdrive 2 they're harder to sell. I sold my Fox 32s with the stem and full headset to maximise their value but still didn't get as much as I would of if they weren't overdrive 2.

Speak to loco tuning (I tried tf tuned when I altered my previous revelations, but they weren't willing to supply the shaft on its own) and they should be able to supply the shaft to give 120mm of travel. Then add on the cost of a new seal kit and oil etc and with a day service you should have a set of 120mm rebas that are in top condition.