New to MTB

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi, I've recently have taken an interest in MTB and I love it, I have been using a Scott Tigua hardtail is that a good MTB or should I upgrade? I ride on gravel, rooty etc, I have been looking at the Carerra Kraken which is highly rated by what I've read. My budget is around £300-£500, also should I wear a FF helmet?
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If I were you I'd go for the Kraken with the discounts at the moment in Halfords it's a bargain.

You'll notice the difference with front suspension and disc brakes.

No you don't need a FF helmet.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Lungs94
    Hi Oxoman thx for the reply, regarding helmet I will be using it for forest trails which has a DH section aswell, the FF helmet gives me confidence at speed, is there any other decent reliable bikes? Thx
    Bikes:
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    If you've only recently taken an interest in MTB, you could just stick with your current bike for now, and wait until you've worked out what you want from a bike, and what yours doesn't provide you - you can also save up more money and buy something better when you do upgrade.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You won't be riding hard enough on a Kraken to warrant an FF helmet, and it will be horrible and sweaty when pedaling.

He said its for Downhill (type of riding) not riding downhill.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lungs94
    Yes I know what DH is & Im not a complete nooby I have done MTB before just I wasnt engrossed in it back then, I plan on doing everything with it, AM, DH, XC, etc not 1 specific "type" which is why I need a reliable up to the job bike, and sweating is a minor inconvenience considering a FF could save my life incase I fall off a singletrack & plunge 30ft down rocky slope
    Bikes:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Buy a full face helmet if you want. It is your decision and not ours.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Lungs94
    Yes I know I dont mean to come off as arrogant but I've seen topics of riders "bashing" FF helmets for XC when I dont really understand why, Its sort of like "Im too good for FF, FF is for wimps" type of thing, then I've seen alot of topics stating that lots of people use FF on easy trails, I guess im just trying justify me buying one, they look better than "half" a helmet "(sorry lol)
    Bikes:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XC can mean long rides. After 30 miles I'm half dead. In a FF I would be fully dead.

To ride down you first have to ride up.

Unless you are talking using uplifts, which is neither XC and hardly AM, in which case you are buying the wrong bike to go with the helmet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    A couple of alternatives are

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two-two-alloy-hardtail-mountain-bike-p275612

And http://m.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/pitch-sport-2015-650b-mountain-bike-ec070611
    Alternatively some of the voodoo or carrera models at Halfords are very good.

My friend bought the speciaized in the link above and managed to smash his front chain ring up on a rock, not sure if it's because the front rings are not very good or just bad luck, but it's a nice bike.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Lungs94 wrote:
    Yes I know what DH is & Im not a complete nooby I have done MTB before just I wasnt engrossed in it back then, I plan on doing everything with it, AM, DH, XC, etc not 1 specific "type" which is why I need a reliable up to the job bike, and sweating is a minor inconvenience considering a FF could save my life incase I fall off a singletrack & plunge 30ft down rocky slope

I'd say technique and skill is more important than an ff helmet, an ff helmet won't stop you breaking your neck and/or back if you take a 30ft plunge. The trick is to ride in a way that you wion't take a 300ft plunge in the first place.

If your getting back into it, I'd suggest riding at a sensible speed, especially on downhill sections, and not doing downhill single tracks with 30ft drops to the side until you have built up some experience.

EDIT: Also as mattharrier mentioned, the best way to look at upgrading is to look at your current bike and think about what it doesn't do as well as you'd want, if it's in good working order it might well be that it's the rider that needs to bee improved :wink: or it may benefit from a couple of upgraded components here and there. A couple of well targeted upgrades is much cheaper than a new bike, but that depends a lot on the general condition and suitability of your current bike.