Lower back pain when climbing

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited April 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Suffered pretty badly with this on Wednesday. Any possible causes?

I probably did more climbing than normal, never had issues on this bike before though.

A possible thought is that since going 1x10 I'm putting more power in to climbing, instead of spinning up the climbs. Is this likely to cause the pain.

Is it just a case of MTFU for now?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If the only change is going 1 x 10 then that is a likely cause. Some people suit 1 x 10 due to the way and trails they ride. For other people like myself who do more xc riding often on long steep , loose trails 2 x 10 works much better as you can spin rather than power up longer hills.
  • Antm81
    I had no issue when I first changed to 1x, however I wasn't riding on my usual trails on Wednesday. The route we used at Hadleigh seemed to be a lot of long climbs for what seemed like short downhill blasts.

I might have to put it down to not being used to that amount of climbing, just looking for any common causes to try rectify it so it doesn't happen again.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    have you changed your saddle height lately? I found that if my saddle is only fractionally too high i suffer with lower back pain terribly. Think its because your hips swing more if the saddle is slightly too high. I find it crippling.
  • Antm81
    It seems ok but then I usually spent a lot of time out of the saddle so it's worth a look.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    try dropping it fractionally. It helped me, i didnt even notice the difference but it helped with the lower back pain