Cwmcarn twrch trail

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2015 in Routes
Just so people know, there's now diversions on the twrch trail.

At the moment they start from Giants finger on the climb - you have to use the forest drive road. And it also bypasses the airstream sections at the top.

I think that's everything.

Cafall is open as normal.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do you think they are making it ridable? That's a serious climb, never managed it in one, no foot down
  • welshkev
    They're felling all the trees mate. I reckon it'll be a completely different trail afterwards. There's going to be more diversions as they work their way around.

I've never climbed all the way either ha ha
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It looks like Airstream and the area around it are going to be used as a holding area for the felled trees so could be out of use for quite a while.

cyd190468 - in Welsh 'w' is a vowel. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA
    It has 2 sounds, a short sound and a long sound depending on the word.
    A good example of the short sound in English is the u in 'put'. This is how it is pronounced in 'Cwm Carn'.

The long sound is like the 'oo' in 'moon'.

'y' is also a vowel in Welsh.

Welsh is phonetic so once you know how to pronounce the letters the words become easier. :)

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    JBA wrote:
    Welsh is phonetic so once you know how to pronounce the letters the words become easier. :)

Knowing how they SHOULD sound is one thing, but I'm still struggling to grow the extra tongue you appear to need to actually make some of those sounds... I'm ok on "ll" but a good "ch" still eludes me.
  • JBA
    'ch' is similar to the sound at the end of Bach and loch.

• stir88
    stir88 Posts: 124
    Hi, Please can anybody give me some info on Cwmcarn.
    Is the tree felling still being done on the twrch? If so, are the diversions clearly marked and how does this affect the length of the trail.
    On the Cafall trail can you do a short loop so that you can do about a 15 mile ride with one full loop.
    Cheers for any help
  • Twrch is closed at the top as far as I know, so you do all the climbs and swing round to the last sections on the forest road.

Cafall is only 8 miles long (14km), I presume you mean a long loop? You could do it twice?
  • stir88
    Thanks for reply Northern Monkey,
    I thought Cafall was 10 miles so doing another half loop would have given me the 15.
    2 loops would be good distance wise but i was more concerned with the time it might take me as on the website it says it takes about 2.5 hours to get round one loop.
    If the top of the twrch is closed does that include the little jump section?
    Cheers
  • Yeah, from what I read on the notice a week or so ago, the climb is up to the Giants Finger, but then its road all the way to the last section.
    So the whole top section from Airstream (jumps), past the BBQ area and to the section with the steep climb up concrete slab at the very end is closed.

Cafall is a different beast to the Twrch. The 1st climbs are never ending, but the trail is pretty good. There is a short loop if you find 1 full loop takes you longer than expected, but its difficult to describe where to go!

We were out there this evening in fact, Cafall is running superbly but is already starting to get cut up!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    stir88 wrote:
    2 loops would be good distance wise but i was more concerned with the time it might take me as on the website it says it takes about 2.5 hours to get round one loop.

Ignore the timings on the website unless you're very unfit. Fitness-wise, I'm almost exactly in the middle of all the people I have ridden with, but I can crack out a loop of Cafall in 1.5 hrs.

To make it a longer ride but with a bit more variation, you could do the loop twice, but second time round come down the "Pedalhounds" downhill, which starts at the highest point of the Cafall trail.
  • stir88
    Thanks Northern Monkey and jimothy78 for replies.
    I am there on Monday, i think i will give the twrch trail a miss and do a loop of Cafall and see how long it takes me, hopefully if i can do it in 1.5 hours i will do 2 loops.
    Cheers
  • Tis good fun the Cafall, you'll love it.
  • stir88
    I done the Cafall trail 3 times this week. 1 loop was all i could do, the climbing was harder than i expected. i done the full Cafall 2 times with strava readings of 9.5 miles and 627 metres of climbing and 9.3 miles with 582 metres of climbing, both exactly the same ride. 1 loop of Cafall then coming down pedal hounds until i got to the pit wheel and could not see markings for pedalhound so had to finish off on the Cafell with readings of 8,3 miles and 539 metres of climbing. Thanks Northern Monkey and jimothy78 for advice, i really enjoyed it and hopefully do some more loops next week.
    Cheers
  • Nice one, glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah pedalhounds is just a separate descent, it joins back onto the the Cafall at the bottom.
  • welshkev
    Yeah 582m would be about right. Yep, the climb in both twrch and cafall is killer!