Rutland-Melton Cicle Classic 2015 (possible Spoilers)

Crampeur
Crampeur Posts: 1,065
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Best race in the UK on this Sunday, with a few gravel sectors. Forecast looks rainy, so it could be a bit brutal, like in 2012, where there was just 22 finishers.

cicle12_Chase_group_Somerberg_3.jpg

cicleclassic2013_Chase_41.jpg

cicle-classic-Higgins-12-e1366104442225.jpg

2014_CICLE_CLASSIC.gif

Short film from 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3sjcH7DGVY

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Proper hard man race this one. The 2013 video was done pretty well. Love the Madison G kit. Not sure why Ian Wilk is riding for UK Youth though, about 35 years old.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Proper hard man race this one. The 2013 video was done pretty well. Love the Madison G kit. Not sure why Ian Wilk is riding for UK Youth though, about 35 years old.

UK Youth are just the sponsor.

edit: I think.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Forecast is getting worse!

Rode the sportive in the rain once and it was really unpleasant.

Going to be a worthy winner come Sunday I reckon.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    The 2013 video was done pretty well.

Cheers, we thought we did a decent job of last year's as well, given the minuscule budget https://vimeo.com/95545524
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • EnnBee
    EnnBee Posts: 20
    The_Boy wrote:

UK Youth are just the sponsor.

edit: I think.

Yes, they were. It's a youth-focused charity; the team was never meant to be a squad of young riders.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    phil s wrote:
    The 2013 video was done pretty well.

Cheers, we thought we did a decent job of last year's as well, given the minuscule budget https://vimeo.com/95545524

good stuff, thanks Phil.

Melton's my home town, would have been great if they'd been doing this race 25 years ago when I was riding those roads. Hope it grows and grows.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Would like to go and watch this. It does make me laugh when it gets compared to Paris-Roubaix though and especially one quote they use in their marketing that it's tougher than P-R. To me it is more comparable to Tro Bro Leon (which is no bad thing) but I guess that doesn't have the same hype.

I'd like to see it covered live and really hope it continues to grow and attract more and more Conti level teams and eventually Pro Conti. To me this is the UK based 1 day race that could really become something, I'd much rather it to the London-Surrey 'Classic'.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Pross wrote:
    I'd like to see it covered live and really hope it continues to grow and attract more and more Conti level teams and eventually Pro Conti. To me this is the UK based 1 day race that could really become something, I'd much rather it to the London-Surrey 'Classic'.

It's a cracking race, but having done the short films and news pieces for 2013 and 2014 I can tell you it would be very complicated and pretty expensive to cover live, especially with the kind of budgets they have. Lovely race though.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    that's like saying none of the tinkov riders work in a bank :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Eh, not really. I assumed UK Youth was for helping youngsters race who are not with another team. It would be a bit weird having a French guy ride for the British Cycling team. However, having looked into it, it turns out that UK Youth is in fact a charity to help young people generally, so it now makes sense they could have an old guy riding for them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Steele van Hoff wins from a select bunch sprint. No photos, but as always, a really good day out watching the race.
  • Crampeur
    Top 10:
    1. Steele Von Hoff, NFTO
    2. Chris Opie
    3. Harry Tanfield, JLT Condor
    4. Arron Gate, An Post
    5. Ian Wilkinson, Raleigh GAC
    6. Jurgen van Diemen, Park Hotel
    7. Dion Beukeboom, Park Hotel
    8. Will Bjergfelt, Sportgrub Kuota
    9. Jasper, Ockleloen, Park Hotel
    10. Dimitri Peyskens, 3M
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    A few photos and a write up here: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/04/melto ... -classics/
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Matt Prior was not a happy bunny with @VeloUk for not including the team name in the results. Looks like he's deleted all those tweets though.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    DL1987 wrote:
    Matt Prior was not a happy bunny with @VeloUk for not including the team name in the results. Looks like he's deleted all those tweets though.

Clearly something going on given this comment at the end of Larry's report:

"Note: I did talk to Chris Opie (2nd) but was told I could not use it by his team."

Consequently, maybe he thought they did not want any publicity and removed the team name. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This would make an epic closed-road sportive.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    coriordan wrote:
    This would make an epic closed-road sportive.

Yes it would, although it would be tricky to replicate the exact route given the looping around and going over some of the roads in both directions. ITP Events do a sportive the day before the race that covers most of the area, doesn't go off-road although the state of the road up to Cold Overton and especially the bit from Moscow Farm up to Burrough on the Hill give a good idea of what the Somerberg would be like... rode all around there this morning in fact but didn't fancy it on 23mm Corsas... :)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Kind of off the overall topic but relevant to the above post.

The sportive is one of the best organised and reasonably priced around this way.

So if you are in or can get (kind of) centrally based in England you will love it.

Launde Abbey closed followed by Belton is a combination of climbing you wont forget in a hurry.
  • Harry Tanfield one to watch for the future.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015