FAO V68 - gig alert

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
edited June 2018 in The bottom bracket
Just noticed that Stiff Little Fingers are playing at the Kentish Town Forum next Thursday (26th). Late notice but are you interested if we can bag tickets? £22.50 plus postage - bargain.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    stuff little fungus - what a band, saw them a couple of years ago at the Bearded Theory Festival and they were fantastic. Well worth seeing.
  • Stevo_666
    stuff little fungus - what a band, saw them a couple of years ago at the Bearded Theory Festival and they were fantastic. Well worth seeing.
    We saw them at The Forum a couple of years back - definitely worth going again.

It's an alternative Ulster...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • southdownswolf
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We saw them at The Forum a couple of years back - definitely worth going again.

It's an alternative Ulster...

That it is... but they're Nobody's Hero.
  • Stevo_666
    Probably because they had a Wasted Life.
  • southdownswolf
    If you like punk music, but something a little different, then I would highly recommend Ade Edmonson's band - The Bad Shepherds - when they tour next. I've seen them a few times and not only do you get great music, but also lots of banter from Ade and the band.
  • Stevo_666
    If you like punk music, but something a little different, then I would highly recommend Ade Edmonson's band - The Bad Shepherds - when they tour next. I've seen them a few times and not only do you get great music, but also lots of banter from Ade and the band.
    Sure do. Have managed to see SLF, Pistols, UK Subs, The Damned, Hugh Cornwell and The (remains of the) Jam. Still reckon The Macc Lads were the best punk gig I've been to though :D

Will look out for The Bad Shepherds, Ta.
  • southdownswolf
    Ahh, The Macc Lads - Never saw them live, but me and the Mrs quite often have tell each other -

You told me that you loved me...
    I never fucking did!
    You used to bring me flowers!
    Shut your feckin grid!
    You acted dead sweet, and you called me fluffy pup!
    You could cook, you could f**k, you could do the washing up, now I've had enough, go on, f**k off, get stuffed.

and were still together after...... erm... however many years.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Sounds good to me. Do you want to sort tickets?
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Leave it with me - I've dropped a text to my punk rock partner in crime, just waiting for him to scrape himself out of bed and reply.
  • Stevo_666
    Ahh, The Macc Lads - Never saw them live, but me and the Mrs quite often have tell each other -

You told me that you loved me...
    I never ******* did!
    You used to bring me flowers!
    Shut your feckin grid!
    You acted dead sweet, and you called me fluffy pup!
    You could cook, you could f**k, you could do the washing up, now I've had enough, go on, f**k off, get stuffed.

and were still together after...... erm... however many years.
    Sweaty Betty always cracked me up.

'I couldn't believe the size of her bum
    She used to play for Wigan at the back of the scrum'

:)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Leave it with me - I've dropped a text to my punk rock partner in crime, just waiting for him to scrape himself out of bed and reply.
    Tickets booked - game on 8)

Will drop you a line about where/when to meet on Thurs.
  • veronese68
    Excellent, looking forward to it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Any good?
  • veronese68
    Yes, a bit too much of the newer stuff that I didn't know, but very good all the same. Got home shortly before 1am and was lying in bed with my ears ringing. Hell of a hangover the following day, but well worth it.
    As always after a gig like that I thought I really should do that more often. A colleague mentioned the Stranglers are playing Hampton Open Air pool. What a ridiculous venue, Stranglers would be good, but not at a picnic.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, a bit too much of the newer stuff that I didn't know, but very good all the same. Got home shortly before 1am and was lying in bed with my ears ringing. Hell of a hangover the following day, but well worth it.
    ^^^^
    This.

Ron and I are keeping an eye out for similar gigs and I'll post here if I spot anything that looks decent. We saw The Stranglers (Well Hugh Cornwell playing Stranglers songs) last November so not sure when they'll be round again. Wouldn't mind seeing The Pistols or The Jam again.
  • Stevo_666
    Here we go:
    The Jam - Clapham Grand, 23rd October
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/from-the-jam

Sex Pistols - 27th November, The Garage N5
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/sex-pistols-experience
    Or Merthyr Tydfil 11th July - double up with a downhilling trip, Bike Park Wales is just outside Merthyr :P

UK Subs - May 23rd, The 100 Club Oxford Street
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/uk-subs
    Never knew the 100 Club was still going!

The Damned - June 6th, The Roundhouse NW1
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/the-damned
    Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible in the line up.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Anyone been to see the Stranglers' new line up? I saw the Mk.2 Stranglers but not the current band.
  • southdownswolf
    Are From The Jam any good?
    The Jam are one band that I would loved to have seen live, probably more so than any other band. With Bruce Foxton playing, at least there is still a connection with the original band. Quite fancy catching the last night of the Sound Affects Tour II in Brighton.
  • Stevo_666
    johnfinch wrote:
    Anyone been to see the Stranglers' new line up? I saw the Mk.2 Stranglers but not the current band.
    I saw Hugh Cornwell plus backing band at the Electric Ballroom in Camden last November. Played all the old Stranglers stuff - no synth included but excellent all the same.
  • Stevo_666
    The Jam are one band that I would loved to have seen live, probably more so than any other band. With Bruce Foxton playing, at least there is still a connection with the original band. Quite fancy catching the last night of the Sound Affects Tour II in Brighton.
    Yep, very good and worth seeing. Not quite the same without Weller on vocals but definitely on my see again list. Saw them down at Hammersmith Apollo a couple of years back.
  • veronese68
    Some of those look good, I'll consult the calendar and the EPO.
    As an aside went for a walk in Richmond Park with the family, stopped for tea and cakes and there was a posh wedding reception going on. The boy was particularly pleased at the disdainful look he got off some of the guests as he went to the loo. They looked at him, saw his SLF T shirt and tutted. I knew it was perfect for a teenager.
  • southdownswolf
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yep, very good and worth seeing. Not quite the same without Weller on vocals but definitely on my see again list. Saw them down at Hammersmith Apollo a couple of years back.

Think I'm convincing myself it will be worth it :-)
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Some of those look good, I'll consult the calendar and the EPO.
    As an aside went for a walk in Richmond Park with the family, stopped for tea and cakes and there was a posh wedding reception going on. The boy was particularly pleased at the disdainful look he got off some of the guests as he went to the loo. They looked at him, saw his SLF T shirt and tutted. I knew it was perfect for a teenager.
    I may need to consult the same two things :oops:

I knew that T-shirt would come in useful :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Here we go:
    The Jam - Clapham Grand, 23rd October
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/from-the-jam

Sex Pistols - 27th November, The Garage N5
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/sex-pistols-experience
    Or Merthyr Tydfil 11th July - double up with a downhilling trip, Bike Park Wales is just outside Merthyr :P

UK Subs - May 23rd, The 100 Club Oxford Street
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/uk-subs
    Never knew the 100 Club was still going!

The Damned - June 6th, The Roundhouse NW1
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/the-damned
    Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible in the line up.
    @ Veronese: The UK Subs and The Damned are no go's for me now as other stuff has cropped up. But the Pistols are go for 27th Nov if you (and maybe the lad) are interested?

Let me know.
  • veronese68
    The only thing that troubles me about seeing the Pistols Experience is they are the ones most likely to get the dreamers, tossers and wannabes turn up. But I'm probably just being a grumpy old git because I'm in a bad mood. Looks like they are a good tribute act though.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The only thing that troubles me about seeing the Pistols Experience is they are the ones most likely to get the dreamers, tossers and wannabes turn up. But I'm probably just being a grumpy old git because I'm in a bad mood. Looks like they are a good tribute act though.
    Actually I realised after I posted above that its a tribute band - assumed it was the real Pistols as I saw them play a couple of years ago. Doh. Let's hold fire on this one for now.

Were also looking to see if The Buzzcocks or Iggy Pop are touring. Will post up if we find anything.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I'm taking my dad and missus to see the who in Hyde park at the end of June. Paul wellers in the line up too so it should be pretty awesome, though to be fair I don't know what it's going to be like as a venue. Big and overpriced most likely... Tickets are still available though I think if it's up your street.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    Saw The Stranglers twice in the Hugh Cornwell days (about '87?). Just fantastic - few bands have impressed me as much from a musicianship perspective . . . and what a back catalogue
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Stevo_666
    laurentian wrote:
    Saw The Stranglers twice in the Hugh Cornwell days (about '87?). Just fantastic - few bands have impressed me as much from a musicianship perspective . . . and what a back catalogue
    I saw Cornwell play at the electric ballroom in Camden last November - great (had Hazel O'Connor and John Cooper Clarke supporting) - all for £27!
  • Stevo_666
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I'm taking my dad and missus to see the who in Hyde park at the end of June. Paul wellers in the line up too so it should be pretty awesome, though to be fair I don't know what it's going to be like as a venue. Big and overpriced most likely... Tickets are still available though I think if it's up your street.
    Not a big fan of open air gigs - prefer small venues with lots of spilt beer!