Chain oil/lube

hughgabriel
hughgabriel Posts: 29
edited April 2015 in Track
I've just bought my first track bike from here which I'll be using at LVVP, and starting to think what I'll need tools wise etc. And was wondering what oil should be used for track use. I'm guessing a light/teflon lube applied sparingly?

Anything to avoid for track use?

Thanks
Hugh

Comments

• Tools

Chain whip (I sell a very nice one for £15 posted)
    Lock ring removal tool.
    Spanner for removing wheels normally 15mm
    8mm,10mm and 13mm spanner maybe usefull if there are any bolts on your bike they fit, seat clamp bolt.
    Allen key for removing wheels (some but not many are allen key)
    Set of allen keys to cover the ones fitted to your bike 3mm,4mm,5mm,6mm and 8mm
    Socket/box spanner or allen key for the crank arms to check they are still tight after the first ride or two, leave them in the car after that.
    The little tool that goes in the back of the chain ring bolts.
    If going from little gears to large gears you may want a chain crank link and a spare connecting link.

Not tools but spares

Selection of chain rings and sprockets and a gear chart.
    Spare set of chain ring bolts for when you loose one (single chain ring ones)

Oil I use lube oil sparingly wipe it of the surface after leaving it to soak in.

Things that don't go down too well at an indoor velodrome/track

Tubs not stuck on properly Manchester don't allow tub tape.

Dual compound tyres or tubs

Excessive thread showing through the wheel nut

Long crank arms, a peddal strike is increased with cranks over 170mm most state a minimum bottom bracket hight and 165mm cranks (I have riden Manchester on a Pinarello Xtrack and used 172mm cranks and was fine but 165mm will give more clearance)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I tend to use a dry lube, but very infrequently - maybe once every 2-3 weeks. The cleaner the better, especially if you are adjusting chain tension or changing wheels/sprockets, as many do trackside.