Mrs 47b's Birthday Day

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,252
edited April 2015 in The bottom bracket
Morning all and happy birthday to Mrs 47b,
So, does this mean that t47b is going to have beer and curry today? He might be approaching 60kg if he's not careful.
Went for a chest Xray as I'm still trying to turn my lungs inside out at every opportunity, have to wait until Fryday for the results though. Reasonably busy at work, so I'm on here of course. Meeting for the scouts committee this evening, I can think of things I'd rather do. I need to sort the figures out and submit them for year end fairly soon. What could be more exciting? Luckily we don't turn over enough that I need a person with qualifications to check my adding up. Might need a beer to get me through the meeting.

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mr 47b will be as selfless as ever. Enjoy your sunshine!

Office, mental, want to avoid it all. Feel like I may go the cinema later just to ignore the world.
    Kit order sent off and money is rolling in, technically my paypal is looking very healthy right now.

Ankle is still the size of tennis ball. Life is not cool sometimes.

Enjoy your committee meeting, a lot of hot air and repetitive comments?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Enjoy your committee meeting, a lot of hot air and repetitive comments?
    How did you guess? Most of them are fine, but there are a few that seem to be on some sort of power trip. It's a scout group ffs.
    In other news, has anyone heard from Seano? Has he been oop North? A rather worrying headline from Yorkshire:
    Womble Destroyed in Fire
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    weekend with the in-laws and to offset the great cooking I got some quality miles in and started the tan line....

desk jockey now pulling disparate threads, thoughts and comments into some semblance of a cohesive and coherent strategy - the thing is the fearsome intellect and ability of my colleagues ........interesting times...

and the sun is shining and I'm wishing i was 50 miles from home on my bike.......
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    So...I did 30 minutes on the rollers to burn off some glucose then we had to dRink champagne, then cycle to the Indian restaurant, I bonked! (67mg/dL on the glucose meter) after cycling for 5.6k :roll:

Then I had to drink lots of beer and eat curry then cycle back and drink more champagne :D

Now weigh 53 kgs!

I will try the red wine with dinner, maybe this will bulk me up a bit :D

Currently eating a Brie baguette!

Mrs T says thanks for the birthday wishes xx
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Happy birthday Mrs T47!

A day that has started with a decent swim and gym session has surprisingly stayed ok - therefore waiting for the bump in the road!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    It is carmen electra's birthday today, is Mrs 47b in fact ms Electra?

I definitely won't mention it is a certain right wing German's birthday too!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I need to sort the figures out and submit them for year end fairly soon. What could be more exciting?
    So you're an accountant? Next stop lion taming :P

Evening Gits,

Quite a decent day, pedalled in and out of work in the sunshine. Not many meetings but plenty of coffee and now a big G&T is getting slurped. Currently trying to sort out our summer holidays after the last plan cratered badly, wife is quite keen on Barcelona for some reason.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • You been there? I'm not a city person but I'd go back in a flash.
  • Stevo_666
    You been there? I'm not a city person but I'd go back in a flash.
    Last went there in 1995 for a long weekend and it was interesting, good food & drink etc. Not saying it's a bad idea but SWMBO gets random ideas and then goes a bit mad. TBH way better than sitting on my arris by the pool as that bores me senseless.

Any top tips very welcome!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • We went last October and wife and daughter going back there in a few days. It's a small city but loads to do, there are three tourist bus routes and you can get off and on where you like but the queues for these can be tedious and each takes a few hours to do the route so the metro and walking is favourite for getting around. If you want to visit some of the popular sites such as Gaudi's buildings best to pre book online as they have time slots and only allow a certain number of people in at one time. Same for Guell Park which is well worth a visit. Ramblas is the main touristy street and very nice but the best eating places, cafes and shops are off in the warren of side streets and great fun to explore. Watch out for pickpockets!
  • Stevo_666
    We went last October and wife and daughter going back there in a few days. It's a small city but loads to do, there are three tourist bus routes and you can get off and on where you like but the queues for these can be tedious and each takes a few hours to do the route so the metro and walking is favourite for getting around. If you want to visit some of the popular sites such as Gaudi's buildings best to pre book online as they have time slots and only allow a certain number of people in at one time. Same for Guell Park which is well worth a visit. Ramblas is the main touristy street and very nice but the best eating places, cafes and shops are off in the warren of side streets and great fun to explore. Watch out for pickpockets!
    Nice one, ta 8)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Evenenenenin!

Gotika is the area I think Mr Scrimshaw is referring to. If you pick an early May holiday, you could go and see a real quality CL level team play football.
    Fantastic city with great 'scenery' except that since the Marina was built it has gone all a bit too touristy unfortunately.

Still worth it. Some great Markets away from La Boqueria de las Ramblas (now heaving with tourists and very pricey).
    Visit the main park (Montjuic) with a ski lift to take you to the top -

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/Parc-de-Montjuic/_xMCfM9AMDl_lKCezjRpMoMhr-AZA4XHP4btJkzuN28w

then take the long walk down through the gardens. Nice in summer as it can get pretty hot. Pick a hotel not to near busy streets and boulevards because sleeping with the window open is not much fun what with all the noise, or go self-catering. Pick June time and experience the Fiesta de San Joan (24th). What an atmosphere, fireworks and bangers wall to wall for the entire weekend and vino and cerveza and party party party.

So much to do, so little time.

Adios amoebas.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Evenenenenin!

Gotika is the area I think Mr Scrimshaw is referring to. If you pick an early May holiday, you could go and see a real quality CL level team play football.
    Fantastic city with great 'scenery' except that since the Marina was built it has gone all a bit too touristy unfortunately.

Still worth it. Some great Markets away from La Boqueria de las Ramblas (now heaving with tourists and very pricey).
    Visit the main park (Montjuic) with a ski lift to take you to the top -

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/Parc-de-Montjuic/_xMCfM9AMDl_lKCezjRpMoMhr-AZA4XHP4btJkzuN28w

then take the long walk down through the gardens. Nice in summer as it can get pretty hot. Pick a hotel not to near busy streets and boulevards because sleeping with the window open is not much fun what with all the noise, or go self-catering. Pick June time and experience the Fiesta de San Joan (24th). What an atmosphere, fireworks and bangers wall to wall for the entire weekend and vino and cerveza and party party party.

So much to do, so little time.

Adios amoebas.
    Thanks very muchly, though you might spot the Barca reference :)

Only slight hitch is that it is going to be in the school summer holiday period (late July through to end of August). Is this a bad idea?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Only slight hitch is that it is going to be in the school summer holiday period (late July through to end of August). Is this a bad idea?

Yes, which reason would you like.

a) heat
    b) more crowds than normal
    c) you are probably taking your own stropteen
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    If you're in to football the Camp Nou is (or was when I went) a very good and surprisingly inexpensive (about 6 Euro from memory) "self tour". You just walk round following the arrows and there are staff positioned all around to answer any questions you have. Standing on the pitch looking up at the vertiginous stands is quite something . . .

We got mugged whilst there and I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone who has been who has not been pickpocketed or robbed or who knows of someone who was during their stay - so be careful . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • veronese68
    laurentian wrote:
    We got mugged whilst there and I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone who has been who has not been pickpocketed or robbed or who knows of someone who was during their stay - so be careful . . .
    Went for a long weekend with the EPO a couple of years back, we weren't robbed or pickpocketed. Be aware and be sensible with your stuff.
    Really nice place, the tourist buses are a great way to see the town. Not sure I'd like to go in high summer though, too hot for just wandering around town for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks all for the tips folks. We'll take a look at the options, including maybe spending a few days down the coast on the beach. The pickpocketing etc - especially in the Ramblas area - is quite well documented so a bit of 'London awareness' is probably needed if we do go.

@Sa0 - answer is all of the above.

On a holiday related note, me and a few mates are hatching a plot for a boys trip to Vegas next year 8) Let's hope the plan comes together.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would also HIGHLY recommend Valencia as something a bit different. Barcelona is absolutely lovely - went there a few years ago and had an amazing time, but I have also lived in Valencia and it is fantastic and often overlooked. Some beautiful historical/religious monuments and a fantastic beach. The difference to Barcelona is that the city is about 2 miles from the beach so they aren't on top of each other, like Barcelona is. There is also an excellent metro service so easy to get around.
  • Stevo_666
    coriordan wrote:
    Would also HIGHLY recommend Valencia as something a bit different. Barcelona is absolutely lovely - went there a few years ago and had an amazing time, but I have also lived in Valencia and it is fantastic and often overlooked. Some beautiful historical/religious monuments and a fantastic beach. The difference to Barcelona is that the city is about 2 miles from the beach so they aren't on top of each other, like Barcelona is. There is also an excellent metro service so easy to get around.
    Will research, ta. May be for a separate trip, although a good mate of mine live down in Malaga so there is the chance of a good cheapie break there.