2015 Amstel Gold Race *** Spoiler ***

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    kamil1891 wrote:
    It's a great feeling seeing a World Champion winning a race of this caliber. Today's win was even more special as Kwiatek is my man and countryman! It was a really good day for Polish cycling, which is currently at its best, with a first and ninth place in the AGR, Domagalski (Raleigh Team) winning in Scotland and Bialoblocki (One Pro Cycling) in Ham Hill RR. :-)
    You need to get back racing yourself Kamil. ;)

Always good to see the world champs jersey crossing the line first, especially if it keeps Valverde off the top spot.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Just your typical leisurely Sunday ride for Kwiatkowski https://www.strava.com/activities/288648247/.
  • To cap it all off, Eurosport leave before any of the official results.
    A poor man's sport in their eyes.
    Yes but look at the other way. How many times have you shouted at the TV waiting for the cycling to come on when they are showing results and interviews from the previous programme? Swings and roundabouts. Eurosports cycling coverage is first class.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure what this was all about:
    CURVERS-REYNES019p.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Everyone stopped at the base of a hill, IAM guy went into the back of GA guy a little bit, words were said and handbags were waved. Everyone got back on and rode off feeling embarrassed for themselves...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    philwint wrote:
    Just finished watching. I thought there was plenty going on in the last 50k to provide entertainment. I was wishing Martin had worked a bit more with nibs - just because I like watching him tear it up. But he had beed doing a load of work on the fron for a long time before that break went.

I like Kwia, so very pleased with the result.

Dan Lloyd is almost good enough to counteract f*cking Kirby

Can we club together and get a contract out on Kirby? the mute button on the remote is going to wear out before the rest of it at this rate.

Oh and cool win for Kwia and he's put it on Strava;

https://www.strava.com/activities/288648247

Edit;pah missed the post above :roll:
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Kirby's enthusiasm is wonderful. No one can replace Duffers, but CK will do for me.
    It's good to have a commentator with a bit of passion. Does the odd gaff really matter..??
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Kirby's enthusiasm is wonderful. No one can replace Duffers, but CK will do for me.
    It's good to have a commentator with a bit of passion. Does the odd gaff really matter..??

If you think it's the odd gaff you need to re-assess how much you know about cycling.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Kirby's enthusiasm is wonderful. No one can replace Duffers, but CK will do for me.

If you think it's the odd gaff you need to re-assess how much you know about cycling.

I don't mind gaffs but he blatantly makes things up and presents them as facts.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Clever riding by Kwia. Let it come back together, didn;t work too hard to shut it down on the Cauberg, knowing he has a sprint...
    Kiwa played that like a seasoned prof.

I just knew it, knew it... :lol: the first time he hits the front is 30 yards from the line, if it was Valverde / Matthews / Gerrans they would have been derided as scummy wheel-suckers... :lol:

(yes, I am playing Devil's Advocate with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek :wink: )
  • To continue a conversation from another thread, do we reckon Kwia would wave at you if you saw him out on a ride?

I reckon he would.

After looking on his Strava rides, a comment from someone suggests he did indeed do just that:

"Bryan Guest Not often I see the World Champ's jersey actually being worn by the World Champ. We passed each other outside Parcent. You waved, clearly liking my pink socks.
    April 14, 2015"
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Clever riding by Kwia. Let it come back together, didn;t work too hard to shut it down on the Cauberg, knowing he has a sprint...
    Kiwa played that like a seasoned prof.

I just knew it, knew it... :lol: the first time he hits the front is 30 yards from the line, if it was Valverde / Matthews / Gerrans they would have been derided as scummy wheel-suckers... :lol:

(yes, I am playing Devil's Advocate with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek :wink: )

Ha ha ha yes I was thinking that yesterday. But seriously, I do not like Valverde it is true, but not because he races smart, more for other things, e.g. his dirty looking face, his penchant for leg warmers and short sleeves, his big horrible watch and his piti-ful past. I'm not a massive fan of Gerrans either but that's just because he seems to have no neck and not because he isn't a smart bike rider and Matthews, well he's called Bling, so enough said... :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    To continue a conversation from another thread, do we reckon Kwia would wave at you if you saw him out on a ride?

I reckon he would.

After looking on his Strava rides, a comment from someone suggests he did indeed do just that:

"Bryan Guest Not often I see the World Champ's jersey actually being worn by the World Champ. We passed each other outside Parcent. You waved, clearly liking my pink socks.
    April 14, 2015"

Awesome that's MY MAN! I <3 Little Flower!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    To continue a conversation from another thread, do we reckon Kwia would wave at you if you saw him out on a ride?

I reckon he would.

April 14, 2015"

He stole one of my Strava KoMs so i'm not waving to him.....
  • above_the_cows
    inseine wrote:

I reckon he would.

April 14, 2015"

Now, now, no need for pettiness. :wink:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    So I get in from a family walk round Dovedale in some long awaited sunshine (hard going walking up the hills after 100 miles in the Peak on the bike the day before) and disappoint my kids that no they can't put Southpark on again for the millionth time because dad has videoed Amstel Gold.

After much moaning about this and asking how many weeks this one lasts (only a day but don't worry the Giro wll be here soon) I have to sit through 100 kilometres of the most negative racing seen outside of a 4th cat circuit race as a challenging parcours is reduced to one hill and 2km of flat. A most unsatisfactory ending to an otherwise great weekend - worst classic ever.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:

I reckon he would.

April 14, 2015"

Although true, it was a joke (I know, i saw the wink) :wink:
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Mechanism wrote:

I don't mind gaffs but he blatantly makes things up and presents them as facts.

Also the way he turns his 'commentary' into a 3 hour (usually ill-informed)speculation on who might win.... I'd much rather he shut up and let me watch, then invite inciteful comment on what is happening and why from his co-presenter.

If he really does feel the need to talk - then his job is to describe what is happening, the co-presenters job is to explain what it all means. His problem is he generally doesn't even get the describing bit right! AND tries to do the co-presenter's job by pretending he has a clue about cycling.
  • above_the_cows
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I reckon he would.

April 14, 2015"

Although true, it was a joke (I know, i saw the wink) :wink:

Look at it this way, of all the people to steal a KOM? It could have been a total nobody, but you have only been beaten by the world champ, this means you are second only to the World Champ on that climb. There are many ways to spin this, turn a negative into a positive and all that jazz, I should work in politics.

:D
  • above_the_cows
    As to the commentary, there is something to be said for being forced to watch it on Sporza. While it requires more concentration on my part, you don't get Carlton's babble. You get gems that translate like this when they turn on to the Cauberg for the final time:

"Here comes the pudding/dessert (toetje)"
  • Also the way he turns his 'commentary' into a 3 hour (usually ill-informed)speculation on who might win.... I'd much rather he shut up and let me watch, then invite inciteful comment on what is happening and why from his co-presenter.

If he really does feel the need to talk - then his job is to describe what is happening, the co-presenters job is to explain what it all means.
    Following your suggestion, during a 3 hour transmission when there's a four man break up the road and the peloton are idling along 5 minutes behind there's going to be an awful lot of silence.

Could be worse you know, it could be John Motson...... :roll:
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have to sit through 100 kilometres of the most negative racing seen outside of a 4th cat circuit race as a challenging parcours is reduced to one hill and 2km of flat. A most unsatisfactory ending to an otherwise great weekend - worst classic ever.
    I kept remembering and then forgetting it was on as my weekend plans changed. Ultimately I managed to record the last 30 mins of Eurosport's "highlights". So I saw the last 14km of the race which made for fantastic viewing, especially as it gave me the distinct impression that I hadn't missed anything!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Great work by Nibali to try and make a race of it. Good on him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    adr82 wrote:

Yeah. Once they got to the top of the climb Matthews should have sat on Gilbert.
    No do-overs though.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    As to the commentary, there is something to be said for being forced to watch it on Sporza. While it requires more concentration on my part, you don't get Carlton's babble. You get gems that translate like this when they turn on to the Cauberg for the final time:

I like watching/listening to Sporza as well, even though I can only understand 1% of what they're saying. It forces me to think about how the race is developing for myself which in some way makes it more interesting.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Milton50 wrote:

I like watching/listening to Sporza as well, even though I can only understand 1% of what they're saying. It forces me to think about how the race is developing for myself which in some way makes it more interesting.

I understand 0% of it - but find myself turning it up to hear it
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It has just occurred to me that the race s so named Amstel GOLD becasue of the colour of said beer...

Quick off the mark i am
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    It has just occurred to me that the race s so named Amstel GOLD becasue of the colour of said beer...

Quick off the mark i am

Isn't the race so named because it's name after the beer, which in turn is so named because of its colour?

beer_41.jpg
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy