kenong Posts: 21
edited April 2015 in Your road bikes
Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Forks: Canyon One One Four SLX
Bars: Canyon H28 AL
Stem: Canyon V13 AL (110mm)
Headset: Acros Ai-70
Bar Tape: Fizik Super Light 2mm

Groupset: Shimano 105 5800 (Complete, including chain)

Seat: Fizik Antares R3 (People's Edition)
Seat Post: Canyon S13 VCLS
Seat Post Clamp: Canyon

Cassette: 11-32t
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max

Wheelset: Mavic Aksium One (from Romania...)
Tire: Continental GP 4000S II (25mm)

Accessories:
Garmin Edge 510 (Team Garmin)
Elite carbon bottle cages

Weight: ~7.5kg

Seeking advice on wheel upgrade... Is a Shimano 9000 C24 clincher a good idea?

IMG_20150208_103849_zpskran2a3o.jpg

Comments

• Nice with the touch of yellow, where do you live needing a 32 cassette?

Doubt you will notice too much difference in the wheels tbf fair
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • It's a nice bike 8)

As for the C24s they are supposed to be fairly good wheels- you'd probably be hard pressed to find a lighter rim on any other wheels that can be used reliably. I think some people complain that they aren't as stiff as some but I don't think there would be much in it.

They are expensive to be used a lot though, and I wouldn't trust the brake track to be too resistant to wear in bad conditions- I would probably use swisstop pads (with low abrasion) with them and only in the dry but then I'd probably do the same with any wheels that expensive!

If you want a nice set of wheels to use most of the time I'd invest a similar amount on a really nice pair of handbuilt wheels with rims that can be replaced when they wear out, and easily serviced hubs such as Hope or dura ace.
  • kenong
    Yup, so far the 32t cog is not being utilised much... Anyway i do love climbing and maybe this cassette that comes together with the bike will be useful in the future. Yeah i am going to change it to 28t soon!

For wheels, i am unsure if C24 will be a good choice...
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Im surprised that the bike came with a 32T. Personally I like to have, Its great to be able to spin at threshold up more climbs.

C24s are very good wheels. RS81s also an option - slightly heavier but much cheaper, and very similar ride qualities. Both are maybe a little bit more fragile than some. I've had both and both needed truing on the odd occasion but that's as much the roads around here. If you're happy to splash the cash check out Fulcrum Zero's I think they'll be more robust. I have Campag Shamals which are the equivalent wheel. They're very strong wheels and stiff. Never gone out of true in the 2-3yrs Ive had mine.
  • kenong
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Took the plunge for a FRZ... Loving it really! It can surprisingly maintain speed at around 33kph+ and uphill is slightly better than the Mavic Aksium. I still feel heavy. Maybe I was hoping too big a difference on the uphill acceleration!

As for stiffness, yup it is very stiff but not to the point of it being uncomfortable.

All in all, love the FRZ (2015 model). Next upgrade is mecha DA groupset :P

2ijgad2.jpg
  • Lovely bike! I'm just about to finally take the plunge on an Ultimate, just wondered how you're getting on with yours and how is it for the longer rides? I'm not going to do loads but the occasional century ride.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was just looking around to see what a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0 actually is as I'm going to be hiring one in Mallorca in a couple of weeks, then this pops up, coincidence!

Although I think mine is supposed to be the 2014 10 speed version.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Lovely bike! I'm just about to finally take the plunge on an Ultimate, just wondered how you're getting on with yours and how is it for the longer rides? I'm not going to do loads but the occasional century ride.
    I've been riding my Ultimate CF SL 9.0 for nearly a year now. Same frame as the 7.0. Different wheels and groupset but they won't affect the comfort in any noticeable way. Mine with 25mm tyres at sensible pressures (85psi front/95psi rear) is a very comfortable bike for long rides. I've done plenty 100km to 160km rides on mine and would highly recommend it.