José Rujano

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited April 2015 in Pro race
What has happened to José Rujano this Giro? After putting in an incredible showing last year, he just hasn't featured. No form, no interest or something else?

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The only place he's ever done any good at, have firmly shut their door.
    Savio vows that enough is enough:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/ ... o_221088/2

Imo, the guy's mental stature mirrors his stature.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Imo, the guy's mental stature mirrors his stature.

Sean Kelly's just pretty much said the same in his commentary on yesterday's stage.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I thought he was ill -- throat infection maybe?

disappointing once again...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I suppose it depends what teams are paying him but Rujano is worth a place in any grand tour. On his day he can climb with the GC contenders and he's an exciting attacking type of rider. Perhaps he's suffered from raising expectations early in his career but there are plenty of worse climbers making a living out of the sport.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I suppose it depends what teams are paying him but Rujano is worth a place in any grand tour. On his day he can climb with the GC contenders and he's an exciting attacking type of rider. Perhaps he's suffered from raising expectations early in his career but there are plenty of worse climbers making a living out of the sport.

Those climbers tend to turn up for training camps and not dissapear back to South America half way through the season when given their chance by a big team, however.

Between Rujano and Grabowski, I'd be amazed if LeFevre ever took a punt on a talent from a developing nation again.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The problem with Rujano is that 'his day' is much like the Olympics. It lasts about two weeks, people get very excited, but then it disappears for four years. And someone ends up paying more money than it was probably worth.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Apparently his sore throat was/is actually mononucleosis.
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=51893
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    For someone who claims he's the 3rd best climber he should have a few more results to his name.
  • Holy career revivals, Batman!

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/rujan ... o_in_2015/

Could this Venezuelan Scalatore be on the way back to the Giro? A fit and motivated Rujano could certainly add spark to the big mountain stages in this year's Giro. Androni has been mentioned as his possible team for the race. Third time's a charm!

DD.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I didn't trust this guy when he was his best. Very clinic-esque based on no evidence, I know.. Just a gut feeling I've always had with this guy.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    With you on that ThomThom.

And he looked like a horrible little goblin.

Irrational prejudice I know.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    ThomThom wrote:
    I didn't trust this guy when he was his best. Very clinic-esque based on no evidence, I know.. Just a gut feeling I've always had with this guy.

No hard evidence:

"Rujano was named in an investigation into doping activities on the Gran Fondo cycling scene. The investigation began in 2009, involved 25 suspects and targeted a consumerised supply of kits of banned substances sent to users in six Italian regions."

http://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Massa-investigation/
  • thomthom
    Well, how do should I react to that? It says basically nothing.
  • Crampeur
    It says a lot more than your gut feelings.
  • thomthom
    Not really.
  • Crampeur
    So baseless accusations are fine but the minute I contribute some evidence, that's a problem? It's not like I'm disagreeing with you, and I made it clear that the evidence wasn't particularly strong, so I'm not quite sure what your issue is.
  • If he does get a berth with Androni for the Giro, I'd imagine he will be heavily targetted by the anti-doping guys, to at least make sure he is clean during the race.

DD.
  • CCalculus
    CCalculus Posts: 16
    If he does get a berth with Androni for the Giro, I'd imagine he will be heavily targetted by the anti-doping guys, to at least make sure he is clean during the race.

DD.

Why would he be target tested?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surprised he's not been banned yet. Back before Menchov's ban doping case / ban were public but the peloton know, Rujano was the other one who they said had been done.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Because, as far as I know, there was some suspicion in the past surrounding him when he returned to South America a few years ago and the fact that he has been outside the European testing pool for a while now. Ultimately, only the testing guys know what might or might not happen.

Ideally, he does ride the Giro, does so cleanly and makes a solid contribution to the race. That's all I hope for.

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree DD. Better that than some c grade rider from Holland etc.

Contador won the 2011 Giro in brilliant style. Rujano raced there as well and made a HUGE contribution to the race and to the fans enjoyment.

Lets hope Arredondo can wake up and create some more memorable performances.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Savio swore he'd never employ him again - a somewhat mercurial talent (Rujano) that isn't worth the money
    M.Rushton
  • blazing_saddles
    Better that than some c grade rider from Holland etc.

Contador won the 2011 Giro in brilliant style. Rujano raced there as well and made a HUGE contribution to the race and to the fans enjoyment.

You seem pretty much in tune with Savio's thinking, FF.
    He got rid of his c grade rider from Holland at the end of last season.
    He too has always found a grade dopers preferable.
  • Better that than some c grade rider from Holland etc.

You seem pretty much in tune with Savio's thinking, FF.
    He got rid of his c grade rider from Holland at the end of last season.
    He too has always found a grade dopers preferable.

As I recall, Savio didn't even bother to pay his C grade rider for most of that year either
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2598171965_ce0b0ab8fe_b_zps591c39a3.jpg

giro11st13_GROSSGLOCKNER_11.jpg

090-PIC197065711.jpg

This is his dad. Photo from last year. Still competing and winning. Natural talent.
    salazar%2BJose%2BRujano.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest