Bikes to leave at station

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I am looking to get rid of my folding bike and get a couple of bikes for either end of my commute (by train). One bike will be left at a local train station during the day and the other at Kings Cross overnight.

I would like drops and bikes that I can extend my commute on when desired, so not massive heavy lumps, decent range of gears, etc.

I do own bikes already, an entry level Spec Allez and Planet X Pro Carbon, but I think both would look like targets at the station. Ideally I would want bikes that do not look at all attractive/targets but are actually good to ride.

Do these exist or is it a case of picking up a grim looking frame and adding ok parts to it? Or is there another option?

Steve

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    There's a btwin triban 3 on ebay at 51 quid with 7 hours remaining. From all accounts they are great bikes when at list price of 300 quid - so if you can pick up for less than a hundred...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    then badly respray with some odds and ends of paint and wrap a bit of insulation tape around various bit of the frame. and be prepared to have it nicked.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Is single speed an option? Less stuff to nick = less chance of it going (or being damaged).
  • Djd3737
    yeah single speed an option for London side, dunno if my knees can hack it though.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Assume you are riding 'no sweat' and there aren't many hills around the mainland stations(?), single speed/rat bike would be ideal.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont just think about the bike getting nicked whole - all over london I see frames locked up with missing wheels, seats, seatposts and all sorts of other components. Avoid any Quick Release clamps or skewers but that wont stop them, they even take things like derailleurs off if they look good.

Respraying to look bad is definately good advice but if its a half decent spec bike then they will see through that.

The one that you leave at home station during day only may fare better but expect problems with the one left overnight in London unless it truly is a rustbucket with worthless parts.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Which is why folding bikes are popular! Why are you looking to get rid of yours OP?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Djd3737
    t4tomo wrote:
    Which is why folding bikes are popular! Why are you looking to get rid of yours OP?

I really like the idea of extending the ride on the home side leg (morning or evening) and it is no fun on the folding bike, I did a few times last summer but it is a grind (folder is a Tern Link p7i). I put some slicks on it, stripped off the pannier rack, but still pretty grim to ride,

I think leaving a bike London side is OK, overnight at kings cross there are hundreds of bikes so wont stand out and the bikes racks are on the platforms, also I can keep it in the office during the day.

It is in the local station that will be more risky I guess, plenty of idiots around. I like the idea of getting something and spraying the frame, component wise would be happy with pretty low specs, like shim 2300, but will probably still look tempting.

I know you can get skewers that need a specific tool to remove and can run a cable through the saddle......so annoying.

Steve
  • Not every station have them, but Basingstoke has a secure compound, inside the station (so you need a ticket to even get in there) and then a swipe card entry system - you need to pay £5 deposit for the swipe card.

The compound is also pretty visible from a couple of platforms. Still use a Kryptonite lock and cable.

It ain't going to put someone off who is absolutely determined to get your bike, but for most the hassle of getting train ticket, swipe card to enter compound, and breaking a Kryptonite lock in full view will put off most people
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the London end I'd just be scanning local classifieds and eBay for a hack bike, I use Marylebone at weekends and there are hundreds of bikes left there, most are ratty and a decent one stands out.

As suggested for your 'home' bike look for a low brand name, but it will still be a target.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Djd3737
    Well it all went wrong, I knew looking bikes would be dangerous, while looking for suitably crappy bikes, saw a Look KG231 and bought that.

So have badly sprayed the Allez a horrible brown, let the kids stick stickers all over it, put primer on the derailleurs, painted out any logos I can see. Will just have to hope for the best.

Found a single speed, old Raliegh frame, with pursuit bars and stupid deep rim wheels (think I will sell these for less nickable looking ones)