Brakes or Gears?

dg-crabb
dg-crabb Posts: 7
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Sorry if this is a silly question to most!

Which would people upgrade first I have a limited budget (just had first child) I want to get more out of my old GT, I have just changed the pads in the disks but they still aren't great (I have bedded them in) so was wondering if bigger rotors would be the answer!

Either that or new gears

I mainly hack around the SDW with a bit of QE nothing major I just want to make the most of the summer between changing nappies

Cheers

Comments

• Depends entirely on the bike and what state it's in at the moment.

If it's an older bike 9 times out of 10 the biggest bang for the buck is going to be replacing the cables.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Replace whichever you feel needs upgrading the most. No one else has ridden your bike so cant tell you which will make the boggest difference.
  • dg-crabb
    It's an old gt thanks for the input I've come to the conclusion gears is the way forward

I will start with the cables and a good service cheers
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd have said brakes - gears are easy enough to service, if they shift alright then upgrade the brakes. Decent stopping power makes the bike much more rideable.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dg-crabb
    I have taken this on board and brought new bigger rotors which should give me more stopping power and a new rear mech the best of both worlds