Trails around Coventry

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited April 2015 in Routes
Can anyone recommend any trails/routes in the Coventry area suitable for cyclocross?

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I live in Leicester just up the road. I've been down to Coventry in search of MTB trails. Binley woods on the east side of Coventry was about as good as it gets. There's paths and trails that loop around the woodland but it's all very flat. Could be worth checking out anyway!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Many years ago we used to live in Coventry and ride round Binley woods as well as the nearby bridal ways. And also some of the canal towpaths near brinklow. If you want full on mountain biking try sherwood pines or Cannock chase which have various signed routes for differing abilities. Also the Peak District and church Stretton are very good for mountain biking but you need to be able to navigate your way round which is easy enough if you take your time. Plenty of YouTube vids of all the above.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    There's a council-approved MTB route that heads off from near Ansty - starts and finishes at Coombe Abbey, taking in Brinklow and Binley Woods. I've done it a couple of times on the CX, but I would recommend long trousers. To be fair, it's not a bad route - quite mixed and is readily extended with additional road miles if needs be. There's also a short cut that takes you from the Ansty Road to Coombe Fields road (and onto the Coombe Abbey route) via farm tracks that's worth doing.

There's another MTB route from Ryton Pools is less suitable for CX (in my taste) as bits of it are no more than plowed field and a mudbath. The council have leaflets for both routes.

There's some bridleway work can be done around Kenilworth, too.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Thanks all. Will check out the route from Coombe Abbey.