Motivation Issues

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
I put in a solid 3 months base and intervals after Christmas. I got my FTP up from 230 to 260.

Having just had a chest infection and head cold over the last two weeks I'm really struggling to motivate myself to get back on the bike or wahoo kickr.

Being stressed out with young children and a crappy high pressure job with a micro manager boss hasn't helped.

Anyone on here any similar experience / insight / encouragement?

Comments

• tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Have a decent breakfast and head out for a nice steady 3 hour ride at the weekend, try to clear your head and re-discover why you love cycling :) Thinking about going out is usually worse than actually going out!
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • +1 8)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Feel your pain. I was training nicely from summer into autumn/ winter. Midweek club turbo sessions and circuits, weekend club runs. Then my MIL died mid December, couldn't get funeral til 5th Jan, then 2 weeks after that FIL died. Knocked us sideways. It's taken best part of 4 months to get the feeling to go back to do some mileage and extra training. I nearly pulled out of a trip to Alpe D'Huez coming up in June, just by talking myself out of it. I've come through that and now enjoying the graft. Like the others have said, start with something enjoyable. Just chip away at it. You'll know when you want to start increasing it. Start valueing just a 30-40 minute spin, get the habit back, kit on, bike prepped and out. You will get it the vibe back. Ride with someone, have a social in wheels. All the best.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    If you have the opportunity then try and join a local club and get out on a couple of rides with them, riding with others often enhances your cycling, but you'll also have the social element, talking to others, gaining new friends etc. The weather is now picking up, the nights are lighter which all means more time available, I'd also discuss things with your partner, try to allocate some time for yourself, even if its only for 1 hour or 90 mins to just get out the door and on your bike twice a week it'll feel great when you do.

And if your job is that bad, think about changing it, life is too short to be spending 10 hours a day doing something that makes you miserable.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    tazmon wrote:
    Have a decent breakfast and head out for a nice steady 3 hour ride at the weekend, try to clear your head and re-discover why you love cycling :) Thinking about going out is usually worse than actually going out!

This!
    It won't take long to get the love back
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a similar job and stress will really knock you down if you let it. Best to just let the work side of it go and not dwell on it as you have more important things to spend your energy on. Use the cycling time to relax and enjoy it as much as possible, even if you only go out for a few miles to begin with you will soon get back into it. After having flu I found my lungs felt like they had been shredded and it took me a week or so once feeling better to be able to really put any power down without having to stop by the Side of the road coughing.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ck101 wrote:
    Being stressed out with young children and a crappy high pressure job with a micro manager boss hasn't helped.

Perfect excuse to get out for a few hours, get away from it all and clear the head.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Go out on the bike and treat it as a day out?

In the past I've found it useful to go down to the coast for an ice cream / steak bake / lunch at a decent pub/restaurant / walk along the beach or whatever. The goal is to have a nice day out without the pressure of training targets.

The love'll soon return.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Dont let the bastards grind you down! FYI, I also am suffering with that chest thing that is going around. You have just gotta get back on the bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Find yourself another job. I've seen far too many hard working and conscientious people ground down by crap work environments and rubbish management, only to be given the chop when companies reorganise. If you don't enjoy it, it doesn't matter how much they pay you, it's not worth it.