Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The Dutch Strade Bianchi Thorugh the Dunes?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Did a 60miler today in wet conditions, around (and in) Hamsterley Forest. Crap all over the roads, loose stones, twigs and got knows what else. The tubeless Ones stood up really well and grip was excellent. Cut resistance seems way better than the old Ultremos.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    ddraver wrote:
    The Dutch Strade Bianchi Thorugh the Dunes?

:lol:

It is hard to believe but around Hilversum there are plenty of 'gravel' roads (schelpenpaadjes). If you want want you can do a round tour of 70km. Yeah, yeah, that is a lot for an over-developed and extremely crowded country.
  • ddraver
    I'm surprised! not much around the Randstad :( which is one little section between Noordwijk and Zaandvoort
    - @ddraver
  • JoostG
    In my search for not too pricey Hutchinson Sector 28mm tubeless I found cycletyres.fr. They offer Schwalbe One 23mm tubeless for a reasonable price, € 38,00, and have 25mm and 28mm in stock.

Good luck
  • ddraver
    so, academic question now but after doing the RVV last weekend and slip sliding all over the shop on the (admitadly insanely slippery) cobbles with Schwalbe Ones 25 at 75psi, would wider tyres make a real difference to grip? Plus would a more textured tyre make a difference? I find it hard to think so* but would be interested

(*my mate had 25c Conti GTs with 100psi in and he was fine - but his skills are very very good)
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    ddraver wrote:
    so, academic question now but after doing the RVV last weekend and slip sliding all over the shop on the (admitadly insanely slippery) cobbles with Schwalbe Ones 25 at 75psi, would wider tyres make a real difference to grip? Plus would a more textured tyre make a difference? I find it hard to think so* but would be interested

(*my mate had 25c Conti GTs with 100psi in and he was fine - but his skills are very very good)

When they are wet, there is not much in the way of grip... I have used Vittoria XN file thread CX tyres for Paris-Roubaix on wet cobbles and they were OK... but road tyres, don't know, even Cancellara looked like the pale shadow of himself at the TdF last year
    left the forum March 2023
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My LBS has Schwalbe Ones for £27, which isn't bad. They also have Maxxis Padrone tubeless for the same price. I've never come across those before. They are heavily reduced, which makes me think old stock they couldn't shift, but it could be a bargain... Does anyone have any views on the Padrones? Thanks.
  • ddraver
    Maxxis ake excellent MTB tyres but the road tyres tend to be a bit meh - not actually bad, just not as good as Conti, Schwalbe etc...
    - @ddraver
  • Back in stock http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schw ... 622-108025 circa £55 a pair delivered
  • ugo.santalucia
    After a long wait, it looks like I might soon get a pair of the Japanese IRC tubeless tyres in 25 mm size to try out... shame they didn't come before my holiday in Italy... round here the terrain is somewhat less testing

Oh well...
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I have a set of the Hunt 4 season disc wheels on order and they have just emailed to offer Schwalbe One's in 23, 25 or 28, fitted with sealant added for £90. The wheels are for my Giant advanced pro 1. I am a little nervous about going tubeless but 28's seem a no brainer for a sunday best bike/wheelset with long rides out of London into the country side and back and a week or 2 in the Alps later this summer. Too big a risk?
    forgot to say, the rims are 23 wide so perhaps 25's rather than 28's given they come up large anyway?
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobinski wrote:
    I have a set of the Hunt 4 season disc wheels on order and they have just emailed to offer Schwalbe One's in 23, 25 or 28, fitted with sealant added for £90. The wheels are for my Giant advanced pro 1. I am a little nervous about going tubeless but 28's seem a no brainer for a sunday best bike/wheelset with long rides out of London into the country side and back and a week or 2 in the Alps later this summer. Too big a risk?
    forgot to say, the rims are 23 wide so perhaps 25's rather than 28's given they come up large anyway?

Go for it... they're awesome
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    bobinski wrote:

I will. 25 or 28? most seem to be running 25's
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobinski wrote:
    bobinski wrote:

I will. 25 or 28? most seem to be running 25's

25 on a 23 mm rim will probably come at 26... seems plenty...
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    28s on my Archetype came up 30mm
    25s came up 26
  • ddraver
    IAM using something called a G-One in tubeless, 30mm at Paris Roubaix - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tech-ga ... is-roubaix

weirdroubaix51_670.jpg
    weirdroubaix05_670.jpg

G = Gravel?

No info available anywhere yet though (couple more pics toward the end of that gallery though) - but i wouldnt say they looked like they were in early development
    - @ddraver
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    ok I'm seriously considering going tubeless now...as I tend to throw a hissy fit whenever I get a puncture and I got one this morning less than one week after putting my 4 seasons back on after going 5 months without a puncture on 35mm randonneurs...plus my last 2 sets of 4 seasons have cut up real bad...I wasn't so suprised at this particular puncture.

Anyway, I have these wheels that are 'tubeless compatable' - http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Wheels/R-24-Spline-db - do I need a kit for these? Is it worth the extra hassle?

Also:

- will I need anything special to fit the tyres?
    - Are they hard to fit? The clinchers that I've used have been a pain to get on and off to be honest, I'm guessing tubeless will be at least as bad?
    - What sealant do people use?
    - Tyre recommendations? I'll be mostly using them for my commute (plus weekend rides) as a summer tyre really...unless they are really good in which case I'll keep them for the winter too ;) I currently have 28mm 4 seasons, not sure if I'd go less than 28mm. Are the 'ones' any good in the wet and do they cut up on rubbish surfaces?

Thanks in advance!
  • ddraver
    - will let someone else answer that, not sure
    - not really, you might need some strong thumbs or skilled tyre lever work
    - Schwalbe or Stans (which i think are the same thing)
    - Schwalbe Ones or hutch, Secteurs if you re riding over nasty surfaces. I think the One's are excellent tubed or untubed personally
    - @ddraver
  • JoostG
    Are you asking in this topic if it is worth the extra hassle? I'm not going to comment on that! :lol:

- will I need anything special to fit the tyres? Tyre levers can be helpful.
    - Are they hard to fit? The clinchers that I've used have been a pain to get on and off to be honest, I'm guessing tubeless will be at least as bad? It depends on rim and tyre. Every tubeless tyre went easily on my different campagnolo wheelsets. Schwalbe one tyres have been easer to mount, than others. So it is hard to tell.
    - What sealant do people use? Stans.
    - Tyre recommendations? I'll be mostly using them for my commute (plus weekend rides) as a summer tyre really...unless they are really good in which case I'll keep them for the winter too ;) I currently have 28mm 4 seasons, not sure if I'd go less than 28mm. Are the 'ones' any good in the wet and do they cut up on rubbish surfaces? With the sealant inside, the Ones can deal with a lot. Another tyre you can consider is the Hutchinson Sector 28mm tubeless (easy to mount and development for courses like Paris-Roubaix)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Thanks for the replies so far - much appreciated.

Those hutchinson look interesting...but expensive, will need to think about it definatly.

Is this the sealant I would use?: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... ID=C727CXX

Also, as my wheels are tubeless compatable rather than tubeless ready, what would I need to make them work? Is it much of a hassle? Do you have any recommendations? And for large punctures not fixed by sealant I assume I can still fix using an inner tube (and tyre boot)?

Thanks again!
  • ddraver
    yep - they sell it in smaller bottles which are better for road tyres though - or buy the special syringe

Youre right for large punctures.

Check, but i guess you need this for your rims - http://www.dtswiss.com/Accessories/Tubeless-Solutions
    - @ddraver
  • DKay
    Anyway, I have these wheels that are 'tubeless compatable' - http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Wheels/R-24-Spline-db - do I need a kit for these? Is it worth the extra hassle?

Also:

- will I need anything special to fit the tyres?
    - Are they hard to fit? The clinchers that I've used have been a pain to get on and off to be honest, I'm guessing tubeless will be at least as bad?
    - What sealant do people use?
    - Tyre recommendations? I'll be mostly using them for my commute (plus weekend rides) as a summer tyre really...unless they are really good in which case I'll keep them for the winter too ;) I currently have 28mm 4 seasons, not sure if I'd go less than 28mm. Are the 'ones' any good in the wet and do they cut up on rubbish surfaces?

Thanks in advance!

- You'll need tubeless valves and tubeless rim tape. I've only ever used Stans valves and they've been absolutely fine. Stans yellow rim tape is the best I've used, but the cheaper stuff from Superstar seems to work ok, although it is thinner. Alternatively, you can buy a big roll of the latter from ebay at an even cheaper cost.
  • JoostG
    Thanks for the replies so far - much appreciated.

Those hutchinson look interesting...but expensive, will need to think about it definatly.

Is this the sealant I would use?: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... ID=C727CXX

Also, as my wheels are tubeless compatable rather than tubeless ready, what would I need to make them work? Is it much of a hassle? Do you have any recommendations? And for large punctures not fixed by sealant I assume I can still fix using an inner tube (and tyre boot)?

Thanks again!

I got my hutchinson recently from cycletyres.fr for a reasonable price (sub € 40,00).

If you have some used inner tubes laying around you could 'recycle' the valves (instead of tubeless valves).
  • ddraver
    .....though for the first attempt I'd do a proper job, you can try ghetto tubeless when you ve got the knack of it
    - @ddraver
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Time to convert my Pacenti SL23 to tubeless. Anyone know of any stock anywhere in 25c?
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    I ordered some Schwalbe One 25mm and all the kit to go with it to make my SL23 tubeless.

Spent 30 mins trying to get the first side of the tyre on before deciding that maybe if I ever need to put a tube in these I am f***ed.

I struggled initially to get clinchers on but now its pretty straight forward so I may have round 2 in a day or so but I am probably going to sell this lot. tyres valvels sealent soapy stuff etc. I may keep the rim tape. PM if anyone is deperate to get there hands on these.
  • DKay
    I feel your pain, especially in the thumbs! The same tyre/rim combo nearly defeated me too. Dreading the day I've got to remove them when they wear out.
  • JoostG
    I ordered some Schwalbe One 25mm and all the kit to go with it to make my SL23 tubeless.

Spent 30 mins trying to get the first side of the tyre on before deciding that maybe if I ever need to put a tube in these I am f***ed.

I struggled initially to get clinchers on but now its pretty straight forward so I may have round 2 in a day or so but I am probably going to sell this lot. tyres valvels sealent soapy stuff etc. I may keep the rim tape. PM if anyone is deperate to get there hands on these.

Don't give up on tubeless yet. Take them out for a ride, and than you understand why we like tubeless. Did you use a tyre lever?

Pacenti's are though mean m...f...rs. But the first time is always the hardest. Next time you need to mount the same tire, you will notice it's way easier to do.

And in my humble opinion you never need to put an inner in these: if the sealant doesn't fix it, the tyre is so damaged that an inner will pop out and be damage within a few yards.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468

I thought a tubeless tyre would have been easier to mount that the clincher tyre and tube, at least I was hoping it would :(