Does anyone own a juicer?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 793
edited May 2015 in The cake stop
I'm pretty bad at having my '5 a day' and I thought it could be a good idea to try one. I work from home so it'd be quite easy to use for lunch and I've seen a Philips one online for £35 that gets positive reviews... does anyone here own and use one, or is it more than likely to end up in the cupboard after the first week?

Comments

• My girlfriend and my friend bought one. My GFs is still in the box and my mates is back in the cupboard after trying to juice Sunday Dinner.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    My son bought the Bullet as it is raved about at his Gym, he juices 2-3 times a day and I have to admit that we have seen a change in him since he has been using it.

He's more energetic and now gets his veg properly and probably more healthily and he's not so bad tempered.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    We've got a Philips juicer. Works well. A pain to clean once you've juiced. A good way to use up veg and fruit that have passed their best. And it's good fun trying out various combinations. Our favourite: a mix of carrot, apple and celery.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Velonutter wrote:
    My son bought the Bullet as it is raved about at his Gym, he juices 2-3 times a day and I have to admit that we have seen a change in him since he has been using it.

He's more energetic and now gets his veg properly and probably more healthily and he's not so bad tempered.

The bullet is apparently the best. My mate got me one for Xmas and I'm yet to use it but he uses it daily for his lunch and had lost a stone and a half and is also more energetic according to him. I need to use mine.
    Living MY dream.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    I started with the philips one, recently bought a Hurom one, rather expensive (£300 ish) but better quality juice.
    I use it once every day, and occasionally do a 3 day "detox" . It has made a world of difference to me, I feel fitter, healthier and more energetic than I have for years, even my 22 yr old son has started having a juice every day and he feels the same benefits.
    Read any of Jason Vale's books, all are quite eye opening, Slim For Life is probably a good place to start, I would ( and do) recommend juicing to anyone .
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I just eat a good balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg, can't see it catching on though.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Mercia Man wrote:
    We've got a Philips juicer. Works well. A pain to clean once you've juiced. A good way to use up veg and fruit that have passed their best. And it's good fun trying out various combinations. Our favourite: a mix of carrot, apple and celery.
    if it's like the one i have i found cleaning easier using an eco food bag in the waste basket thing then the machine parts clean easily under the tap using a brush.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Nutribullet is the one to get.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Velonutter wrote:

My wife bought a nutrition-bullet for my birthday in september and I us it most days. It's expensive but awesome.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • My wife just got a fancy one, it cost £9.99 on Amazon I believe and is quite good, or so she says.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Nutribullet is the one to get.
    We also have a Nutribullet. It's great as there is no waste like a juicer - it completely breaks down all the food so you get all the nutrients out of it. As well as fresh and frozen fruit, we often add spinach and nuts. The drinks always taste good and it's also easy to clean.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Velonutter wrote:

Pretty sure a bullet is a name for a vibrator. With that in mind, that whole sentence means something very very different....

Edit: in fact the entire thread sounds odd in that context.
  • You don't enjoy the juice produced as a result of using your bullet Rick?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Don't normally drink it no.
  • I dare to think what else you do with it!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I just eat a good balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg, can't see it catching on though.

Just the two of us then :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Anyone know how easy it is to clean the bullet without a dishwasher? I gave up on my other juicer because it took ages to clean and I'm a lazy git.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Tried a friend's high-street brand juicer. Used it once & never again. Very noisy & a pain to clean.

Bought a Hurom slow juicer. Use it most days (in addition to a healthy, balanced diet). I find it helps me stay healthy despite a stressful life.
    Food bills increase though; I don't use it for fruit & veg "passed their best" as one previous poster - I use the freshest stuff I can get.
    Primarily use veg and little fruit. Throw in a lemon & pretty much any veg based juice becomes palatable.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    seanoconn wrote:
    Anyone know how easy it is to clean the bullet without a dishwasher? I gave up on my other juicer because it took ages to clean and I'm a lazy git.

My son had the very problem at the weekend, the instructions apparently say just fill with water and blitz and sure enough it came out clean.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    seanoconn wrote:

You just need to rinse it so dead easy.
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    Another nod for the nutribullet here.