Problems getting SPD-SL position right?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited April 2015 in Road general
I've used SPDs for years on multiple shoes with no trouble - the cleat goes in the same position on both shoes and it's fit and forget. I cannot seem to get my new SPD-SLs right though. I'm adjusting and adjusting the left side and still it just feels wrong like my leg wants to be much further out and is being forced in.

I thought the level of float made them inherently better than SPD? Any good tips or online guides for setting up? Anyone else had problems with the switch?

Comments

• dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Different Q factor to your SPDs?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You still need to have your 'natural' alignment correct in the first place, irrespective of 'float'.
    It is a matter of having the bike on a trainer and setting up trial and error until you get it.
    Then mark off the positioning with some tape or tippex for next time you replace the cleats.
    It does get rather tedious to test pedal , get off , adjust cleats, remount, test pedal.. but it is the only way to do it.
    Dangling you feet off a table can give you some idea if you are heel in or heel out... but dont rely on it.
    Getting this right for me allows me to use no float cleats, but that may be my luck in not having any unusual tracking movement as the knee rises and falls when pedalling.
    Essentially a cleat, whatever type, remains just a cleat... but if you ride comfortably with spd, then maybe continue?
    Any reason for a change?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've been on and off the rollers tweaking it but still not quite right when I'm on the road. Dangling legs off a table shows my left foot more turned in that my right which is how I was feeling it should be. Strange that I have no problem with SPDs but maybe something to do with the cleats being a little further forward than they ought to be).

Doing lots of long rides now so wanted the 'benefits' of SPD-SL and the wider choice of shoes. Will still use SPD for commuting so I can always abandon the SPD-SL if need be.