Indy Fab Planet X

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited October 2016 in Your road bikes
423e87e3af143b561940d37f5208c69a.jpg

Ok, so it's still in the planning stages, waiting for the CADs to check the geometry but the most important thing, i.e. the colour scheme is sorted.

Basically it's a CX / winter / 'just riding around' frame and Enve disc forks, will probably build it up with Ultegra mechanical groupset with hydraulic discs, Fizik finishing kit and a couple of sets of wheels - Archetypes on Hope for the road and some PlanetX carbon tubs for CX. Or that the current plan anyway.

Comments

• meesterbond
    It's taken a little while to arrive - mainly due to the forks having to go over to Parlee for them to bond the mudguard eyelets on, Christmas holidays etc but it's finally arrived and I pick it up tomorrow.

Bespoke Cycles sent over a ton of photos so I've just added a few of the better ones here.

The brief was to build a CX / Winter bike with hydraulic brakes which could take full mudguards - they used a Steel Planet X as the base, Enve CX fork, Ultegra groupset, Hed Belgian rims on CK hubs in a Molteni-esque finish.

image_2.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Brilliant! nice build sir!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Lovely bike. Thanks for sharing! :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Holy $h!t! Yes!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Liking that blue and orange.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Boom!

Very flipping nice indeed!
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    That is sweet as! Very, very jealous.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Ooh, I do like that. I like that a lot.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    There's just something so right about that geometry. Great looking bike BTW
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stunning.
  • Very cool. The orange really pops, and the blue sets it off nicely!
  • meesterbond
    Cheers for the comments.
    The blue has a slight sparkle to it - really shines in the right light. Need to heli-tape the hell out of the head tube though - the cables will eat through that paint in days.

Not sure it 32mm tyres aren't overkill - might swap those for 25/27mm ones for the spring / summer and if I get enough for my old CX bike I'm contemplating a Stages PM but otherwise pretty much perfect.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Very nice. What tyres are they?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Humans aren't supposed to feel this way about bikes. :shock: :lol:
    Gorgeous.
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • meesterbond
    Very nice. What tyres are they?

They're Panaracer Pasela 32mm.

Took it out for 60km or so at the weekend and it's great. On the cons side, it is a bit of a heavyweight - something approaching 9.5kg as it stands although I'd probably save 400g with some more sensible tyres. That said, the only time I really noticed was on some of the steeper ramps (not that Essex has many).

On the pros side, it handles impeccably, particularly downhill - it's like it's on rails round corners. It's more comfortable on the sh1tty roads round here than anything else I've ridden. The geometry surprised me a bit too. It's a lot more aggressive than my other bikes but was surprisingly comfortable - I will admit there was something in the back of my mind wondering whether I'd made a mistake but after 2.5 hours in the saddle it still felt good.

So, in conclusion, I'm a happy bunny. It's definitely a bike for just grabbing and riding rather than training, if that makes sense.
  • leech
    leech Posts: 77
    I love this bike. It has me looking at the Bespoke website again after that IF Crown Jewel that was recently on here. I love the idea of having something like this. I've also been looking at the Ritte Stainless Snob. I don't race, so don't really mind about the weight. I suppose I just like the idea of having something a bit special. My only concern is that they never look as good in a size 58 as they do in the smaller sizes of the two IF bikes on here.

Anyway, enough of my dreaming. Congrats on a fantastic looking bike. Hope it rides as good as it looks.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    That's oh-my-gosh lovely. Leech- I'm in the same situation as you- my bike is a 58 (-ish, also custom). My suggestion- embrace the gangliness! Big bikes can look cool too. They have to have a level top tube though. Dropped top tubes on big frames look awkward, mile-long seat stays be damned.
  • Good grief, how did I miss this beauty. Absolutely lovely!

I have a thing for orange and blue, started by a C50 in the RB06 scheme.

Anyway, congrats to the OP for a hell of a "CX / winter / 'just riding around' frame"!
  • Good grief, how did I miss this beauty. Absolutely lovely!

I have a thing for orange and blue, started by a C50 in the RB06 scheme.

Anyway, congrats to the OP for a hell of a "CX / winter / 'just riding around' frame"!

Actually raced it at the club evening CX last week and it held up a lot better than the rider... 40 mins over a rock hard, bumpy as hell circuit shook my fillings out... was so jealous of the guy on a fully suspended mountain bike!
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Such a beautiful bike!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    An absolute beauty, I'm not always struck by the handbuilt bikes we see. This is stand out special, form/function and style enjoy.
  • meesterbond
    Thank you both!

I understand that the lead times for Indy Fab are now out at 12 months plus, so glad I got this one when I did.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stunning, and just realised where I'd previously seen it

I've always fancied their Club Racer
  • meesterbond
    Garry H wrote:
    Stunning, and just realised where I'd previously seen it

I've always fancied their Club Racer

They're actually using it on their website and advertising campaigns... probably the only time I'll ever appear (by association) in Rouleur