Guns N Roses

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited April 2015 in The bottom bracket
Jesus they were a great band at the same time hi.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I've not noticed a Jesus hanging around this forum.
    You sure you are in the right place?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    PBlakeney wrote:

Yes.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Pro race drops in to BB :shock:

FF upset you or did you cause that crash at Scheldeprijs*?

*With your walking stick :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tailwindhome
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No, they were shyte.

Here's me. "Wha?"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Saw them at the O2 a few years back. Not particularly impressed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2015
    Saw them at Donnington Park in 1988 and they were outstanding

They disappeared up their own arses and went downhill rapidly thereafter

If you get a chance, read Duff McKagen's book about the band it's very very good.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Couple of catchy tunes but more style than substance. Towards the Sigue Sigue Sputnik end of the musical spectrum :)
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Not really sure how I feel about em now but as an 8 or 9 year old I thought they were awesome! What else was around at the time? Think most of my primary school class mates were going mad for bros

Some of the stories about what was going on behind the scenes are also hilarious. Cocaine.... It's one hell of a drug :shock:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • OK at best. Had a couple of good tunes, Slash is a major talent but they blew it. Could have put the hours in, practised and honed their craft but they began to believe in their own hype. I suppose they had a blast on the way, though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Pub talk Guns n Roses? :D

Yes they may be shyte now and yes Axl Rose is a prick but come on!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7OgIMMRc4

:D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Saw them at Donnington Park in 1988 and they were outstanding

They disappeared up their own arses and went downhill rapidly thereafter

If you get a chance, read Duff McKagen's book about the book, it's very very good.

It was all downhill after Welcome to the Jungle - which was a true classic.

Vastly, vastly over-rated.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Absolutely loved them as a teenager but then decided I hated them and every stinking coporate stadium rock cliche they stood for. Never listened to the 'Use Your Illusion' stuff.

Then I re-bought 'Appetite for Destruction' on a nostalgic whim about five years ago and I found I still absolutely loved it. Although I must admit I mainly get the urge to listen to it when I'm drunk.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Always thought they were shyte, especially the p3n1s waving Welcome To The Jungle.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    gus.jpg

5386743_6872_625x1000.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Always thought they were shyte, especially the p3n1s waving Welcome To The Jungle.

You're not a sexy girl and you're very hard to please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Has anyone ever seen Axl Rose and Rab C Nesbitt in the same room at the same time?

The jungle must indeed be full of pies.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Great band when they were all on the smack, and an antedote to all the peroxide and perm watery music that came before them. But, from the exact moment they released Use Your Illusion, they were totally sh1t, Axl Rose swapping the smack for lycra, what a shame/knob.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Axl Rose has let himself go a bit, hell. Looks like he would fit in with Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I remember Radio 1 having a poll on which band was better - Guns n Roses or Europe !!!!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I remember Radio 1 having a poll on which band was better - Guns n Roses or Europe !!!!!

There isn't any winners there
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    crap
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Stevo 666 wrote:

By the time the O2 was built, G&R were already dinosaurs... you have to put them into context... in 1989 they were the best band on the planet... their lifestyle and music was never going to last... they weren't going to be a three decades band, in the same way Nirvana weren't... I would be surprised if Axel Rose has any voice left
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

By the time the O2 was built, G&R were already dinosaurs... you have to put them into context... in 1989 they were the best band on the planet... their lifestyle and music was never going to last... they weren't going to be a three decades band, in the same way Nirvana weren't... I would be surprised if Axel Rose has any voice left
    They were doing all the songs that made them supposedly a great band - and I still wasn't impressed. Had a way better time seeing Stiff Little Fingers a couple of weeks ago for a fraction of the price.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They were doing all the songs that made them supposedly a great band - and I still wasn't impressed. Had a way better time seeing Stiff Little Fingers a couple of weeks ago for a fraction of the price.

The energy was gone by then, no wonder they didn't impress you. Not sure the O2 is a good arena for music either... it's got no soul
    left the forum March 2023
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The energy was gone by then, no wonder they didn't impress you. Not sure the O2 is a good arena for music either... it's got no soul

Just like Stevo
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    it's got no soul

Just like Stevo
    Ooh you biatch :) I'll have you know I sold mine to the Devil and leased it back - more tax efficient.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    PBlakeney wrote:

Yes.
    Sure?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    it's got no soul

Just like Stevo
    Ooh you biatch :) I'll have you know I sold mine to the Devil and leased it back - more tax efficient.

:)
  • tailwindhome
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Axl Rose has let himself go a bit, hell. Looks like he would fit in with Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    He looks like he ate Lynyrd Skynyrd