jawooga Posts: 530
edited April 2015 in The cake stop
<edit>
Where to look for software jobs
</edit>

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I would suggest that you improve your search techniques.

Try looking at software development sites to begin with. A cycling website isn't the best place to start.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jawooga
    Thanks, I'll do that. I've edited my original post accordingly.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    What formats do you programme ?
    Software is probably the easiest way to make good money if your even partly decent but with a good idea or if your decent and happy to work coding for other people.
    I went to a conference in the USA not so long ago where the speakers were all kids under 21, all of whom have personal (self made) 8 figure net worth but the common denominator was that none of them could actually code, these people knew basics but had great ideas.

Software is very broad, a decent skill for anyone wanting to do well and has some free time is to learn Xcode basics, it proves very handy.
    Living MY dream.
  • jawooga
    Thanks for the reply vtech. I'm employed as a dev at the moment. The gist of my OP was that my main experience is relational db design and dev - procedural sql of various flavours. And I've done some C. I was interested in how people identify software jobs, that doesn't involve trawling the online sites. The first chap quite rightly pointed out that I was asking in the wrong place, hence the edit. I was also interested in the prevalence of .net languages and how desirable they are.
  • VTech
    jawooga wrote:
    Thanks for the reply vtech. I'm employed as a dev at the moment. The gist of my OP was that my main experience is relational db design and dev - procedural sql of various flavours. And I've done some C. I was interested in how people identify software jobs, that doesn't involve trawling the online sites. The first chap quite rightly pointed out that I was asking in the wrong place, hence the edit. I was also interested in the prevalence of .net languages and how desirable they are.

He is right but on the flip side I have found that if you look in the normal places, your going to be in competition with the rest of the people looking.
    Offer free or cheap work to build a personal portfolio as this works in every case I know of.
    Living MY dream.
  • Are there any software industry bodies or networks in your area? I know Cambridge Wireless (a networking organisation) have a jobs board which is used regularly and there may be one in your area.
  • jawooga
    Thanks both. Might try and tap up some of the contractors at work tomorrow for info on local networks.
  • pblakeney
    jawooga wrote:
    I am glad that you took it in the spirit intended and not gone all stroppy like others might have done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jawooga
    PBlakeney wrote:
    jawooga wrote:
    I am glad that you took it in the spirit intended and not gone all stroppy like others might have done.

:D Well you lose all sense of irony or spirit of the post in these things sometimes so I try and play a straight bat. I do get amused, watching afar at online chest beating though. Now where's that Top Gear thread :D
  • pblakeney
    jawooga wrote:

:D Well you lose all sense of irony or spirit of the post in these things sometimes so I try and play a straight bat. I do get amused, watching afar at online chest beating though. Now where's that Top Gear thread :D
    To be fair, I would have played if you had gone all stroppy. :oops:
    Good luck! No irony.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • VTech
    jawooga wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    jawooga wrote:

Thats not finished yet, I'm going to play on the fact that every point I made is coming true just to agravate ddracer :mrgreen: dog and stick.
    Living MY dream.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    What sort of thing are you looking to do? Dev, devops, or working in a specific industries?
    Looking to get experience on new dev projects, product development, or supporting existing systems?
    What sort of job are you working towards?