Being a single dad

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited April 2015 in The cake stop
I'm not usually a single dad, but my wife has gone for three weeks (2 more to go) as her dad is ill so it's me and 2 primary school age boys. I'm exhausted. It never ends. Not sure what 'it' is really, but there's always something to do. Not helped by the new bathroom not being completed yet.
Respect to any single parent. Any tips that don't involve all day on the X-box? A day out cycling would be great if it weren't for the dog.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Your parents need to spend some time with the grand children?

That's how it usually works for me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Kid sharing with your friends or parents of their friends. You take their hellspawn in addition to your own for a day, they take yours in return. The groups of kids can usually play/fight/amuse each other better in small packs and need less of your input.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You could see if they can explain basic science to manc33, that should kill a week or 2
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Structure the day.

Break it into sections. Discipline is in the parent, not the child.

Swimming is good 'cos it wears them out and they sleep/makes them hungry.
    Long walks (with the dog).
    Soft play area.
    Get stuck in - you get more out. Make things. Get a whole load of big cardboard boxes. They can play in them. Kids love them. Then you can get marker pens and turn them into space rockets and tractors or supermarkets when the basic novelty has worn off.
    Make tents from laundry racks and broomsticks...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hate to say if but piña has nailed it

Re long walks, buy a BB gun - lots of fun
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I couldn't manage. The wife usury does a week away once a year with her friends and that's a struggle for me.
    On the other hand she is often looking after them whilst I'm away and I don't envy her. They are great kids but a lot of work.
    Single parenting must be a tough job for sure.
    Living MY dream.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My wife and I work opposite shifts so of in not at work, I have my 3 girls. It's bloody hard work. But as they get older they entertain themselves more and more. Thankfully I can go on the turbo and leave them to it nowadays.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fatsmoker
    Get a whole load of big cardboard boxes. They can play in them. Kids love them. Then you can get marker pens and turn them into space rockets and tractors or supermarkets when the basic novelty has worn off.
    The plumber left half a dozen cardboard boxes from the new bathroom stuff, but they all got soaked in the rain. Damn rain. :(
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Valium.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Soft play area!! :shock: The horror the horror, shudder.

Good luck, feel for you, my Missus is away for two weeks but I've only got one to look after, he's currently trying to break the record for calling daddy in one day.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Rigga
    Currently watching flanders on telly and got little un watching barbie movie on YouTube on her tablet. Keeps her quiet for a couple of hours.
  • pinno
    Rigga wrote:
    Currently watching flanders on telly and got little un watching barbie movie on YouTube on her tablet. Keeps her quiet for a couple of hours.

That will give her the life skills she really needs. :roll:
  • Rigga
    Rigga wrote:

Sorry Mr "parent of the year" next time she is bored I shall sit her down and teach her some quantum physics.
  • pinno
    Rigga wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

Sorry Mr "parent of the year" next time she is bored I shall sit her down and teach her some quantum physics.

Oi, no need for that. Just tongue in cheek.

Get manc33 to teach her about world politics and gravity. That'll keep her entertained.

Oh, and get some sleep :wink:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I read the reply above and kept it to myself that I fitted a has drive in the house to keep the kids quiet :)
    Movies on tap so when I'm working and the wife is out (not often but just when I need concentration) I can get them to watch a movie.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    I've tried working from home when I have the girls. Ha! Whobody thought of that?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Took my eldest (2 years 6 months) for our daily excursion to stand on the bridge watching trains today (his choice, not mine). Being knackered, he made me carry him all the way there and all the way back. Then we had to do it again because he decided that only seeing 2 trains wasn't enough.

Luckily the Eurostar went by 3 times the second time we went there (the Eurostar being his favourite thing in the whole of Ashford), but he's killed my back today and doesn't feel any remorse.
  • pinno
    You're expecting altruism out of a 2 year old Finchy?!

My little one's love the bin lorry. They wait for it on a Friday. All those flashing lights and moving parts...
    2nd are 'aenoplanes'.
    3rd is dad's bikes, shoes, helmet, hat, pump... :roll:
  • Mine like finding my wallet and draining it of cash and me doing my best impression of a taxi driver (apart from the taking payment bit)!

Could give you loads of advice but it's fun working it all out for yourself.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    aenoplane
    Sounds like a device to drink wine. like it.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I'm not usually a single dad, but my wife has gone for three weeks (2 more to go) as her dad is ill so it's me and 2 primary school age boys. I'm exhausted. It never ends. Not sure what 'it' is really, but there's always something to do. Not helped by the new bathroom not being completed yet.
    Respect to any single parent. Any tips that don't involve all day on the X-box? A day out cycling would be great if it weren't for the dog.

I recently spent only one week alone as a single Dad of a 19 month old whilst wife away. I was floored with a virus and no back up. Keep the faith cycling brother.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i dont get any of the comments made here, why did you have kids?
    i ve raised my daughter, from the age of one, after her mum died, very suddenly (and had a full time job, with a very understanding employer) and yes its tiring and i ve had help from grandparents but she is a teenager now and we ve a great relationship.
    In this country, its still seen as a womans job and so a single dad gets all the sympathy and women get jack, yet they have no "child raising" gene, its just as tiring and hard working for them.
    i say to the op or indeed any dad, make the most of your time with your kids, do stuff with them and dont let them stare at an electronic nanny, you never now when your life might change inside out.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    mamba80 wrote:
    i ve raised my daughter, from the age of one, after her mum died, very suddenly (and had a full time job, with a very understanding employer) and yes its tiring and i ve had help from grandparents but she is a teenager now and we ve a great relationship.
    In this country, its still seen as a womans job and so a single dad gets all the sympathy and women get jack, yet they have no "child raising" gene, its just as tiring and hard working for them.
    i say to the op or indeed any dad, make the most of your time with your kids, do stuff with them and dont let them stare at an electronic nanny, you never now when your life might change inside out.
    Wise words indeed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Wise words indeed.

+1
  • fatsmoker
    Re Mamba80s comment. Respect to you, sir. I agree. It is a pleasure to be doing stuff with the kids. Today we've baked a chocolate cake :D
    I was surprised at how tiring it is. I feel like I've been busy all day. Besides watching a few minutes of the Paris-Roubaix, I have. And the day has flown by. Besides my commute I haven't been out on my bike since my wife went. :(