Question on my actions this morning

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
So i was riding in a bus lane in london, went to overtake another cyclist so i moved to the right hand side of the lane. still within the lane. an ambulance decided at this point to overtake me, missed me by about an inch or two. really really really close.

when i got to the lights i knocked on his window, and calmly said to him that he had just missed me, he said sorry. i added that i know i moved out of my original line but stayed with in the lane and as i was in front of him i had right of way.

am i correct in this thinking?

i knew he was behind me, but i didn't expect him to over take me when i was clearly overtaking another cyclist.

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would do too.

However, did you indicate and shoulder check? What was the ambulance doing, was it behind you going at your speed, or was it accelerating towards you when you pulled out? Was it indicating that it was about to pull out?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Did you not check the space was clear before overtaking the cyclist?
    Could the ambulance driver reasonably stay within the same lane to overtake a single cyclist or would he have had to use the other lane?

Sounds like it was a bit of 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other - he said sorry and you stayed calm - mistakes happen ...
  • Assuming that you shoulder-checked and stuck your arm out as notice, he's in the wrong. But rule 162 of the Highway Code says that you have to be careful when overtaking that nobody's already started overtaking you.
  • spasypaddy
    he hadnt started overtaking me, there was another rider on my wheel.

and yes i shoulder checked. but didnt indicate. i didnt change lane i just moved over inside the same lane i was already travelling in

i actually dont think he saw me.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Both had a responsibility to check it was safe to overtake. The lane thing is irrelevant to be honest.

Very few people know the difference between a 2 stage and 3 stage overtake - I really don't get why this isn't part of learner training.

If you overtook without looking, then while he (hopefully being at least D2 trained) should have anticipated, its pretty much down to you not to move in to the path of an overtaking vehicle.

Google 2 stage and 3 stage overtake - it sounds like 3 staging might have helped you. As a guide, if you have to follow a slower vehicle for a period before being able to pass then you should 3 stage, only 2 stage if you can see a clear path well ahead and can go in one move.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    looking on the bright side, if he had a wiped you out, at elast head have got you to A&E quickly :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Happens to me quite a bit in AMS that riders check their immediate space but no further back than that. I've learned to spot the signs that I rider is about to pull into my path. At least you can be reasonably sure that an Ambulance driver isn't being malicious
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    At least you can be reasonably sure that an Ambulance driver isn't being malicious
    Until some bright spark decides to put them on performance related pay. :shock: :wink:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    At least you can be reasonably sure that an Ambulance driver isn't being malicious
    Until some bright spark decides to put them on performance related pay. :shock: :wink:

Yup - knocking down cyclists then picking them up would certainly help their average response times :twisted:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Was the cycle lane bordered by a solid white line and 'compulsory' or just a stolen (marked up) bit of the regular lane.

If the former then you are more in the right, if the latter then it's wholly your own darn fault!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spasypaddy
    it was a bus lane. and i didnt leave the lane.

i already ride down the centre of the lane as it is
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,866
    spasypaddy wrote:

The ambulance didn't leave his lane either.
    I would say 6 and half a dozen.
    If blame has to be placed, then you went closer to the white line than you were comfortable with.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • spasypaddy
    PBlakeney wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

If blame has to be placed, then you went closer to the white line than you were comfortable with.
    actually he did. he was half in my lane and half in the next one over.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The ambulance was in the wrong and here's why.

He didn't leave enough room when overtaking you and didn't allow enough time for you to perform your move before carrying out his.

I see it like this: you moved to the right of your lane to turn right or enter the next lane (it just so happens you were only overtaking another cyclist) 'zoom' the vehicle behind drives past (not leaving enough room) because they don't want to get stuck behind a cyclist.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,866
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

actually he did. he was half in my lane and half in the next one over.
    In that case has was 100% wrong.
    He should have been in one lane or the other and driving accordingly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You have to look behind and check if you change position, even more so if overtaking someone. You have a responsibility to make sure its safe.

It could have been like this:

The cyclist without looking behind, moved to overtake another cyclist and unfortunately did so at the point I was passing him. He didn't see me and I had no time to take avoiding action and he went under the wheels. I attempted to give emergency treatment, but he was proper squished - I haven't seen one squish like that for ages you could see bits of his skull poking out of his head and his eyeballs had popped out.

yes - I have seen squished human.

better to assume responsibility for your own safety rather than rely on who's right or wrong. If you don't take a good look behind before passing someone, particularly without mirrors then its gonna be luck every time.
  • Just to check, did he have the lights/siren on at the time?
  • Just to check, did he have the lights/siren on at the time?

One would think that if the lights or siren were on, they would probably not be stopping for a chat.

Either way, I'm with diy above - if you're going into another lane, you should check what's behind you, and that's your responsibility for your safety.
  • spasypaddy
    no, no lights/siren.

i did check.

i didnt even change lane. i stayed in the bus lane, i moved from the centre of the lane to the right hand side of the lane.