Alternative Garmin magnets.

Coreythorny
Coreythorny Posts: 41
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi all.

First, yes I know they exist as I've just got some. My bike is a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX with Mavic Krysium SL-R wheels. I ordered the cadence magnet (one that goes into the pedal spindle) and the thin spoke magnet. After "fitting" the cadence one and re-aligning I've now realised that the speed sensor on the Garmin unit is so close to the wheels spokes I cannot get a magnet to sit on the face of a spoke without contacting the pickup unit.

My first problem isn't the above, woth carbon and/or aluminium spokes the magnet doesn't hold itself, I was wondering how those who have them have attached them? I don't fancy gluing it! For the meantime its sellotaped on, dreadful I know, it
's just until I find a better alternative.

But due to the first paragraph, I've had to sit it on the side of the spoke as you look at the wheel side on. Has anyone else had this problem?

All this just to tidy up the bike a bit. :cry:

Thanks all!

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    can you have a few magnets on top of eachother on the pedal spindle so the wheel magnet will not foul?

e.g.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-S ... 70385.html
  • The cadence magnet is fine. The "antenna" on the Garmin pick up is so close to the spokes once lined up for the cadence sensor theres no room for the wheel magnet.

Only just thought, would it work if I were to invert the Garmin unit and turn it upside down? So the pick up for the speed sensor was facing the rim of the wheel not towrard the hub?
    Or I could try moving the cadence magnet further down the crank arm to bring the unit away from the hub...?

To add, the pick up for the wheel sensor physically can't come away any further as its flush with the frame already.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    You could get one of the newer sensors as it just wraps on the wheel hub;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I thought there was a screw in the end of the pickup arms so you could pivot the arms to suit your particular geometric need?
  • I thought there was a screw in the end of the pickup arms so you could pivot the arms to suit your particular geometric need?

Yeah it's already right over as far as possible. Will try fitting it to the bottom of the frame later and hopefully that might work!
  • oldbazza wrote:
    You could get one of the newer sensors as it just wraps on the wheel hub;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... lsrc=aw.ds

Yeah I have seen them, I just think I makes more clutter. TIdy bike tidy mind!
  • I'm running the new magnetless sensors after my Garmin GSC10 unit died. I wouldn't ever want to go back. The new sensors don't get knocked out of alignment and are very easy to swap between bikes.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Depending on how far the cadence magnet sits proud of the crank arm, you could consider a single Neodymium magnet that will fix itself onto the back of the pedal spindle - almost inside the crank - so nothing sits proud.

The magnets are so strong you don't need to glue to the spindle, it'll stay put magnetically.

670546327_tp.jpg

a 10mm diameter one - 1mm thick (poss 2mm) should work. Peanuts on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coin-Neodymiu ... 2c98154f70

Or you can buy them in multiples for a similar price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Neodymium- ... 25a37f9805
  • g00se wrote:
    Depending on how far the cadence magnet sits proud of the crank arm, you could consider a single Neodymium magnet that will fix itself onto the back of the pedal spindle - almost inside the crank - so nothing sits proud.

The magnets are so strong you don't need to glue to the spindle, it'll stay put magnetically.

670546327_tp.jpg

a 10mm diameter one - 1mm thick (poss 2mm) should work. Peanuts on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coin-Neodymiu ... 2c98154f70

Or you can buy them in multiples for a similar price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Neodymium- ... 25a37f9805

That's exaclty what I've got mate along with this:
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1704063339

All sorted now. Flipping the Garmin pick up unit upside down has allowed me to get the speed sensor antenna right over to the rim so it's close enough to pick up the magnet linked. To avoid having to superglue it on like I've read some people did, managed to cut a bit of number plate down, the padded type which got it even close to the antenna. Then a couple strips of sellotape 2mm wide approx each end wrapped round to keep it in place. It's still noticeable but nothing as ghastly as the original magnet!

If anyone is actually interested I can get a picture.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Haha, I love the replies on here, did anyone actually read the OPs post before replying?! Five completely irrelevant posts!

Anyway, glad to hear you've sorted it. My GSC-10 is a very tight fit as well, I had to ditch the fat spoke magnet supplied by Garmin and use a thinner one from a Cateye computer to stop it from clipping the little speed sensor arm.

I'd be interested to see how you've mounted it now, is the whole unit on the underside of the chainstay? Or are you just talking about flipping the little adjustable arm? Those thin spoke magnets look much sleeker, but I'm afraid to touch mine now in case I can't get it back into a reliable position again!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    edited April 2015
    I would be interested how you set it up before - angling it to work with the cadence sensor should not affect how close to the spokes it is surely?

Did you have it like this: the-ant-bike-speedcadence-sensor-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-2.jpg

If so then that was wrong, it should be like this:6949.jpg
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Can you post a photo of your current setup showing the problem?
    As the arm is adjustable it should never be a problem as far as I can see. The magnet would collide with the body of the GSC-10 or the chainstay it's mounted on, before hitting the adjustable arm carrying the pick-up.
    The only explanation I can think of is if you have the arm folded over so that the pick-up is sandwiched between the wheel and the chainstay. Is that the case? A photo should clear it up.
  • ai_1
    apreading wrote:
    I would be interested how you set it up before - angling it to work with the cadence sensor should not affect how close to the spokes it is surely?

Did you have it like this: the-ant-bike-speedcadence-sensor-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-2.jpg

If so then that was wrong, it should be like this: http://ridewithgps.com/photos/full/6949.jpg
    Thanks for the photos which show the two possibilities I was refering to in my post above.
    The solution in your link which you refer to as correct does not always work. It won't fit that way on either of my bikes and so I have fitted it extended as shown in the inserted photo. Obviously it's a little more vulnerable but it'll still work just fine and gives more positioning flexibility. 4 years and never any issues.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Ai_1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

If so then that was wrong, it should be like this: http://ridewithgps.com/photos/full/6949.jpg
    Thanks for the photos which show the two possibilities I was refering to in my post above.
    The solution in your link which you refer to as correct does not always work. It won't fit that way on either of my bikes and so I have fitted it extended as shown in the inserted photo. Obviously it's a little more vulnerable but it'll still work just fine and gives more positioning flexibility. 4 years and never any issues.

Its not only more vulnerable but a little bit out of alignment and it catches on a spoke and rather than being flicked out of the way (as it would when hanging below the hinge), it will be dragged further into the spokes and most likely end your ride prematurely. You might get away with it but it is most definately wrong, not just a choice thing. I think it should only hang that way if it is mounted below the chainstay.
  • ai_1
    apreading wrote:
    ..... I think it should only hang that way if it is mounted below the chainstay.
    That would be preferable alright but unfortunately not possible without putting it on the drive side which potentially causes other problems.
  • apreading wrote:

Nope had it as you've linked correctly.
    I've just got back from a ride so will grab a picture after a shower etc.
  • Ok here's some pictures which show how it is now, hopefully can see the issue I had.
    Before it was on top of the chainstay with the antenna tucked behind as it should be.

Now it's uoside down as so.
    72CD099E-A8B0-4F01-A148-E67DC778D8D0_zpsl2uxpubu.jpg

This is the wheel magnet fitted. The tape isn't that obvious.
    74AB3B0A-9C11-4588-9FF3-089D7BC0FBC7_zpszz7guvaw.jpg

Magnet passing the antenna
    23E1F391-935D-4354-B21F-3F213B535004_zpsa8olxyjb.jpg

Non aero spoke passing from near side of wheel showing how little room I had!
    E734CED6-96CA-40F3-8F2E-73182DD8D477_zpsekcgrt4w.jpg

Finally the rare earth magnet passing by the sensor off the pedal spindle. Had to adjust it last ride as for some reason it was picking up twice. Apparently I averaged 187rpm for 23 miles :grin:
    D72A8A46-F991-4B18-9DFE-FB4EC4E5BB10_zpscjkcyrk6.jpg

Please excuse the dirt on it. I've not long been back.
  • ai_1
    The underneath position unfortunately suffers the same issue as apreading mentioned where the sensor arm if hit could be pulled further into the spokes rather than knocked away due to the direction of rotation of both the wheels and the sensor arm. However, the fact that it's not really vulnerable to being knocked into the spokes by, say, your heel makes it pretty unlikely to be an issue.
    My most recent bike is the same shape frame (Canyon Ultimate CF SL) and has similar but not identical wheels. I couldn't find enough space to be comfortable fitting it inside as you have. The square-ish shape of the chainstay means the folding arm collides with the corner before the sensor end is tight against the insdie of the chainstay. It looks like you've found this too? I was a little uncomfortable with the amount of space it left and elected to mount it "wrong" instead. I might take another look but I reckon i'll leave it alone.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ai_1 wrote:
    The underneath position unfortunately suffers the same issue as apreading mentioned where the sensor arm if hit could be pulled further into the spokes rather than knocked away due to the direction of rotation of both the wheels and the sensor arm.

Really?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    The underneath position unfortunately suffers the same issue as apreading mentioned where the sensor arm if hit could be pulled further into the spokes rather than knocked away due to the direction of rotation of both the wheels and the sensor arm. However, the fact that it's not really vulnerable to being knocked into the spokes by, say, your heel makes it pretty unlikely to be an issue.
    My most recent bike is the same shape frame (Canyon Ultimate CF SL) and has similar but not identical wheels. I couldn't find enough space to be comfortable fitting it inside as you have. The square-ish shape of the chainstay means the folding arm collides with the corner before the sensor end is tight against the insdie of the chainstay. It looks like you've found this too? I was a little uncomfortable with the amount of space it left and elected to mount it "wrong" instead. I might take another look but I reckon i'll leave it alone.

Using the standard Garmin magnets it did fit on top. I set the speed sensor in position first and had the magnet on the opposite side spokes which worked as there wasn't the clearance the near side. Then I just positioned the cadence sensor along the crank arm accordingly. As with these new magnets the cadence sensor is fixed it means the unit has to move further toward the hub which is where all the issues occurred.

I think whenever it's place you run the risk of it hitting the spokes. As the antennas that tightly fixed it's never going to push out the way. With it underneath I'd say your less likely to knock it so its arguable better there. But it is more vulnerable to water etc.