The Euro 2016 (mainly England) thread

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
edited April 2015 in The bottom bracket
By popular demand...

So who thinks we are going to do reasonably well for a change?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Not gonna happen. It looks to be yet another good qualifying performance, however they will be found out against good opposition at the finals. Don't expect them to reach the knockout stages.
    When Eddie Howe becomes England coach in ten years time, only then can we perhaps think about actually winning something.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As per Mr Goo I'm afraid - it's been a ridiculously easy qualifying group with none of the major countries involved.

England will also beat Italy tonight and the media will go crazy although Italy always lose these friendliest and then tend to get their act together for the tournament itself (brushes last 2 WCs under the table :D ).

England for the quarters and that's about it really. Sorry.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    England are in a ridiculously easy qualifying group but winning breeds confidence. Keep everyone fit and I can see them making the semi's then who knows :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    England are in a ridiculously easy qualifying group but winning breeds confidence. Keep everyone fit and I can see them making the semi's then who knows :D

Winning breeds confidence until a)you realise what an easy qualifying group you've had and reality sets in and b)you get smashed all over the park in your first "real" game and you realise that beating Lithuania does not make you Italy/Spain/Germany.

I know that footballerists aren't the most intelligent of people (generalisation alert) but even they must realise that they aren't that good - they can't have forgotten the last two WCs already?

Beating Lithuania, Estonia, San Marino and Norway isn't exactly Euro winning form is it? Even Scotland could have that lot and they are, well, really rubbish (and still managed to stretch England to the last and only go down 2-1).

Prediction is (unremarkably and showing no signs of football knowledge): Germany to win, Spain runners up, semis (the above plus) France and Italy, quarters to include Belgium and England.

Remember that even the FA hierarchy have said that they don't expect England to do anything before the next WC..............................

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:

Winning breeds confidence until a)you realise what an easy qualifying group you've had and reality sets in and b)you get smashed all over the park in your first "real" game and you realise that beating Lithuania does not make you Italy/Spain/Germany.

I know that footballerists aren't the most intelligent of people (generalisation alert) but even they must realise that they aren't that good - they can't have forgotten the last two WCs already?
    Italy/Spain/Germany.... There's room for one more, ENGLAND! Boom semi finals! :D yes we were crap but you can't live in the past.
  • Matthewfalle
    Belgium.

France.

Holland. Yes, Holland. Forgot about them.

Portugal.

Sorry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    Belgium.

France.

Holland. Yes, Holland. Forgot about them.

Portugal.

Sorry.
    Europe is stronger than I remember. Anyway, England have never let us down before so I don't see why we can't put a little faith in them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Not forgetting:

Austria
    Poland
    Russia

None of them are a walk over, and then you have weird games like vs Moldova and the similar that could always prove tricky/cause injuries/suspensions and therefore problems in the next game....................

Quarters and everyone will be happy. Any further and its a shock.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    edited March 2015
    We've seen this many times before from England; they coast through an easy qualfying group, beat a couple of decent teams in friendlies when they're not really trying, and the media and low IQ fans start to build them up as world beaters...

They then discover that tournament football is a completely different game: there is the mental stress of living in a hotel in close proximity to team-mates and backroom staff for a month, plus the physical stress of playing repeated high-intensity games, often in hot conditions, when saving energy is paramount. And that means holding on to the ball as much as possible and not chasing the other side, which is exactly the opposite of what invariably happens when England play anyone even half decent at the Euros or World Cup.
  • seanoconn
    Low IQ fans! Pfffft. The premiership is the best league in the world and the England team boasts some of the most expensive and best paid players on the flat surface of the planet, they can't fail.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think given recent form I can now confidently out myself as a Welshman! (i may never mention this again should results take a turn for the worse!)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Wales and Northern Ireland are both in extremely strong positions.

Scotland have a horrible group but are making a great fist of it (not helped by German inconsistency in the early games after the last WC). 10 points from the last 5 games should be enough for us to finish 2nd or at worst 3rd, with a good chance of automatic qualification (the best 3rd place team out the 9 groups avoids the dreaded playoffs).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    cc78 wrote:
    We've seen this many times before from England; they coast through an easy qualfying group, beat a couple of decent teams in friendlies when they're not really trying, and the media and low IQ fans start to build them up as world beaters...

They then discover that tournament football is a completely different game: there is the mental stress of living in a hotel in close proximity to team-mates and backroom staff for a month, plus the physical stress of playing repeated high-intensity games, often in hot conditions, when saving energy is paramount. And that means holding on to the ball as much as possible and not chasing the other side, which is exactly the opposite of what invariably happens when England play anyone even half decent at the Euros or World Cup.
    Well put.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Another event ruined by the organisers as they expand it from 16 teams to 24. I'd always enjoyed the Euro's more as it had tighter groups and went straight into the quarters as the really gash teams were eliminated before the tournament itself. No longer however. The only positive is that with admittance of another crap 8 teams then England might actually win a couple before their meek exit. Meh.
  • Who cares, France 98 was a riot......
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    We're sh1t and we know we are.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Ballysmate wrote:
    We're sh1t and we know we are.

I think the problem is that is true for know but the first half of that statement remains true whereas the second half is seemingly forgotten as a tournament approaches and expectation rises and so disappointment always follows.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Everyone fit, healthy and in form? They could have a decent tournament. They won't win, but won't necessarily be a massive embarrassment. The problem is that the PL is such a physical league that England will arrive at the tournament looking like a spent force as usual. Maybe we need a less competitive league so that our best players get there in decent shape.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    johnfinch wrote:
    Everyone fit, healthy and in form? They could have a decent tournament. They won't win, but won't necessarily be a massive embarrassment. The problem is that the PL is such a physical league that England will arrive at the tournament looking like a spent force as usual. Maybe we need a less competitive league so that our best players get there in decent shape.

Assuming that Woy picks the right players.........
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris