Fred Bike choice??

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
Should I go with my good summer bike or my cross bike with road tyres?

Both have the same gearing.

Comments

• petegraaf
    petegraaf Posts: 23
    Summer bike as if the gearing is the same can't see what the cross bike gives you other than some more weight to carry up the hills.

Just make sure you have tyres with decent puncture protection (I'll be using Conti 4 seasons probably)
  • +1 for summer bike, Road's are not great but, not much difference than the rest of the Uk. I'll be bringing my cross bike only if the weather is going to be real wet as it has 32mm winter tires and disc breaks. Other than that I don't fancy dragging the extra 3kg up the hills.
  • ajkerr73
    Great stuff.

I think I'll bring both and plan for the summer bike unless really bad weather.

It was the road surface I was worried about mainly.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Just out of interest what advantage would a cross bike with road tyres give you - unless you have disc brakes and that's an issue for you in the wet ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ajkerr73
    Just out of interest what advantage would a cross bike with road tyres give you - unless you have disc brakes and that's an issue for you in the wet ?

Not thinking about advantage, more thinking about my 100kg frame on a shinty new bit of carbon with 25 mm rubber versus a more robust ally cross bike and 28mm rubber
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

Not thinking about advantage, more thinking about my 100kg frame on a shinty new bit of carbon with 25 mm rubber versus a more robust ally cross bike and 28mm rubber

OK, I wouldn't worry about it then the actual road surfaces aren't that bad except maybe on one or two steep descents but you'll not be going too fast down them anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ajkerr73
    Great stuff

Cheers
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    I'll be on my road bike...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I suspect carbon fibre on 25mm will be more comfortable than Alu on 28mm, but I don't ride an alloy bike so I wouldn't know. Plus the lighter bike will be more forgiving on the climbs.

I think the only advantage a cross bike would have is the brakes if they are disc brakes. It has been known to rain here from time to time, and coming down Honister and Wrynose in the wet can be an 'interesting' experience. :shock: