ROSE PRO DX CROSS-3000 Review / Info

Comments

• Leodis75.
    You might get lucky, it's worth staying in regular contact via email if you have any concerns. I ordered first week December and was given an assembly date of Jan 16th. Bike was delivered Jan 19th. Perhaps early Jan is a quiet time so they're on schedule, I don't know. Personally I couldn't fault their efficiency.
  • AN ANTI ROSE POST - ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

OFF.MY.THREAD.NOW.

Nah seriously, they beat my estimate by 2 weeks (was 6, done in 4) so you might get lucky.

The reason theres a delay between ordering and getting a proper confirmation is due to them checking they can do your configuration I think - and anything out of the ordinary could in theory add to the time. Don't think thats the problem here though, maybe they just got an unexpected run of orders though 10 weeks is extreme so maybe there was an error somewhere?
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Udo has changed the order to 5 weeks which is a lot better than 10 weeks, not sure why they couldnt have done this to start without be chasing them but hey ho soon to be in the Rose club :P
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    AN ANTI ROSE POST - ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

OFF.MY.THREAD.NOW.

Nah seriously, they beat my estimate by 2 weeks (was 6, done in 4) so you might get lucky.

The reason theres a delay between ordering and getting a proper confirmation is due to them checking they can do your configuration I think - and anything out of the ordinary could in theory add to the time. Don't think thats the problem here though, maybe they just got an unexpected run of orders though 10 weeks is extreme so maybe there was an error somewhere?

When I worked making custom PCs we would state 14 days on the off chance that there was a problem with parts, suppliers etc... and so we could charge a premium for a rush order. Most of the time we'd run 7-10 days (unless we were really busy or there was a genuine problem with an order), this makes the customer feel we've beaten their expectations and they get a nice warm glow and we get good feedback on social media and review sites. I guess Rose are playing the same game.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • leodis75
    I hope so, still showing 5 weeks for del... I must check their site 4 times a day lol.

The PDW mudguards turned up from Tredz with scratches on... Anyway cannot wait for Rose bike.
  • leodis75
    Well its arrived and I am impressed

xc0kti.jpg

Less so impressed with the portland mudguards, they are far too big for 28mm tyres, there is about 2 inches of clearance left even when adjusted. Might have to try and chop some off or have another go as I was in a rush yesterday.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Taking mine out for a blast this morning. I emailed them to spec the Rose Pro DX 1850 disc wheels, they are awesome. Semi aero aluminium deep sections. With Vittoria Corsa CX in 25mm it's the dogs
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    leodis75 wrote:
    Well its arrived and I am impressed

xc0kti.jpg

Less so impressed with the portland mudguards, they are far too big for 28mm tyres, there is about 2 inches of clearance left even when adjusted. Might have to try and chop some off or have another go as I was in a rush yesterday.

Do you have the wide version? You need a longer bracket at the front for it to sit right. My mudguard was part of a batch with the bracket wrongly riveted on but after emailing PDW they sent me a new one and a longer bracket.

Not used it yet as I put on wider tyres which went with the mudguard fine.
  • leodis75
    Got it sorted now I have more time, it was because of the arms been shorter i had to lob off about an inch to get them closer but I do need a longer or extender for the top front bracket, any ides where I can I pick one up from?

I have the baby in full battle dress now ready for Mondays 1st commute since an off. I reset the front pistons and sorted the rubbing I was getting, i suffered with this on a C'Dale Badboy for 2 years and didn't know the fix was so easy.
  • cookeeemonster
    leodis75 wrote:
    Got it sorted now I have more time, it was because of the arms been shorter i had to lob off about an inch to get them closer but I do need a longer or extender for the top front bracket, any ides where I can I pick one up from?

I have the baby in full battle dress now ready for Mondays 1st commute since an off. I reset the front pistons and sorted the rubbing I was getting, i suffered with this on a C'Dale Badboy for 2 years and didn't know the fix was so easy.

I forgot I needed to trim the stays, the metal was relatively soft so was very quick and easy thankfully.

If you google the pdw official site then you can probably order from there, else get a UK stockist to order it in for you. But as I said, some brackets are riveted on so you can either drill this out or email pdw and get them to send you a replacement non riveted one. They did this for me and sent me the bracket free of charge, was very happy with their service.
  • leodis75
    I got the details from the Portland site, they pointed me to a UK site that I couldnt find on Google, I tried to order and the postage came to £17 + the £4 bracket!! I emailed them about the obvious mistake and they are sending one out FOC!! Bonus.

Here is the baby in near full battle dress last Sunday

IMG_20150322_160707.JPG

Its such a comfy ride with the 28mm tyres, just love the CX set up.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Just had another positive chat with rose about my order. I was concerned about the spoke count on the wheels so they suggested some 28 spoke ones they do for the Radonneur!? Bike. only a 30 euro supplement. Then they told me they won't charge my payment card until they start the build. Happy shopper so far. The next 6 weeks can't come quickly enough
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • leodis75
    leodis75 wrote:

I forgot I needed to trim the stays, the metal was relatively soft so was very quick and easy thankfully.

If you google the pdw official site then you can probably order from there, else get a UK stockist to order it in for you. But as I said, some brackets are riveted on so you can either drill this out or email pdw and get them to send you a replacement non riveted one. They did this for me and sent me the bracket free of charge, was very happy with their service.

I was sent one with the wrong guard bracket, they sent me a longer bracket FOC after some mix up when trying to charge me £17 postage from within the UK. I checked what was needed this morning and there is where to remove the guard without drilling it out which is not something I want to be doing after paying £60 for them. I am in contact with them but at the moment I cannot get the front guard to sit right.

Anyway the Rose is great overall after a week of commuting, the gears have been set up poorly though and I am getting chain rub on the lowest 5-6 rings on the big ring on compact CS & 11-28, not too bad on the little ring but its annoying to get rub in middle gears and real bad when trying to push the power on the big dog. I will take to LBS soon and get them to sort it. Also the rear brake cable is not fixed at the front point of entry into the frame so can cause rattling, I have zip tied it tight at the BB as the cable was hanging down, the other gear cables have a plastic thick cover on them to stop rattling but this one doesnt and if you full it you can get it to rattle (I think this is a common fault as the Rose web site reviews mention this quite a bit). Small problems but annoying all the same.
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    I'm thinking of getting one of the hydraulic versions as a do-all bike. I'll have to choose between Ultegra, SRAM or Di2 but have no idea which is best for me. Will it be a pretty good road bike with 23mm slicks on?
  • cookeeemonster
    leodis75 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:

If you google the pdw official site then you can probably order from there, else get a UK stock
    ist to order it in for you. But as I said, some brackets are riveted on so you can either drill this out or email pdw and get them to send you a replacement non riveted one. They did this for me and sent me the bracket free of charge, was very happy with their service.

I was sent one with the wrong guard bracket, they sent me a longer bracket FOC after some mix up when trying to charge me £17 postage from within the UK. I checked what was needed this morning and there is where to remove the guard without drilling it out which is not something I want to be doing after paying £60 for them. I am in contact with them but at the moment I cannot get the front guard to sit right.

Anyway the Rose is great overall after a week of commuting, the gears have been set up poorly though and I am getting chain rub on the lowest 5-6 rings on the big ring on compact CS & 11-28, not too bad on the little ring but its annoying to get rub in middle gears and real bad when trying to push the power on the big dog. I will take to LBS soon and get them to sort it. Also the rear brake cable is not fixed at the front point of entry into the frame so can cause rattling, I have zip tied it tight at the BB as the cable was hanging down, the other gear cables have a plastic thick cover on them to stop rattling but this one doesnt and if you full it you can get it to rattle (I think this is a common fault as the Rose web site reviews mention this quite a bit). Small problems but annoying all the same.

When I contacted pdw I mentioned my mudguard was riveted not bolted like their video suggested to me. Because of that they sent me a free replacement mudguard and bracket via their uk distributer. I assume they'll do the same as they probably didn't realise you had the riveted version.

Shame about your niggles with the bike - might be with emailing rose about it? They might pay a shop to fix them? Worth a try?
  • cookeeemonster
    Skins2 wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting one of the hydraulic versions as a do-all bike. I'll have to choose between Ultegra, SRAM or Di2 but have no idea which is best for me. Will it be a pretty good road bike with 23mm slicks on?

You'd have to check what size tyre the wheels will go down to, I think they'll do 25's but not gone below 28's myself. But yeah it'll make a great do it all road bike too...

...but if you have no need for wide tyres and mudguards then their road bikes have hydraulic options and are very light and highly rated for the price - unless you want a number of options on the same bike in which case yeah this would be better :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Skins2 wrote:
    Thought 25s were quicker these days. But yes, it'll be a very good road bike still.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • leodis75
    leodis75 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:

When I contacted pdw I mentioned my mudguard was riveted not bolted like their video suggested to me. Because of that they sent me a free replacement mudguard and bracket via their uk distributer. I assume they'll do the same as they probably didn't realise you had the riveted version.

Shame about your niggles with the bike - might be with emailing rose about it? They might pay a shop to fix them? Worth a try?

Update:

School boy error.. The rear guard was pushing the front mech and causing tension and the rubbing, D'oh!!

So I have used a longer screw and used 3 bolts to push the guard closer to the tyre and all is well.

9zso55.jpg

As you can see the cable tie to keep the rear brake cable from hanging down, will speak to the LBS when I am next there.

I have spoken to PDR about the front guard, they initially told me to drill it but when I moaned they are sending the correct one out to me. The rear looks better now with the bolts pushing it closer to the tyre, I should also save my front mech from crud a little.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    This is a lovely looking bike, does anyone have a link to the frame geometry for different sized frames, ie Top tube length etc etc?

It looks like it might have a shortish top tube or is that incorrect?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    For geometries, click here for the Rose page and scroll down to the "Frame" tab.

Not like it's a bookmark or anything...
  • cookeeemonster
    Daniel B wrote:
    This is a lovely looking bike, does anyone have a link to the frame geometry for different sized frames, ie Top tube length etc etc?

It looks like it might have a shortish top tube or is that incorrect?

You might be able to find something here else email them? http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-hydraulic/aid:770985?forcedefaulttemplate=true#n-16qvD-16qvE-16qvF-16qvG-16qvH-16qvI-16qvJ-16qvK-16qvL-16qvM-16qvN-16qvO-16qvP-16qvQ-16qvR-16qvS-16qvT-16qvU-16qvV-16qvW-16qvX-16qvY-16qvZ-16qva-1D9Ai
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou gents, had seen the reviews tab, but inextricably missed the frame tab :oops:

For those who have purchased, did you do so in GBP or EUR?
    Looks like it might be slightly cheaper in EUR.

As in the stock gbp price is £1302, but the EUR price is 1699 which according to xe.com is £1240, so nearly 5% less - appreciate credit card or paypal conversion rates might be not as good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • cookeeemonster
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thankyou gents, had seen the reviews tab, but inextricably missed the frame tab :oops:

For those who have purchased, did you do so in GBP or EUR?
    Looks like it might be slightly cheaper in EUR.

As in the stock gbp price is £1302, but the EUR price is 1699 which according to xe.com is £1240, so nearly 5% less - appreciate credit card or paypal conversion rates might be not as good.

I paid in GBP, and back in October when I ordered it it was £70 extra so you're getting one hell of a bargain! (And good on them for tracking the exchange rate rather than sticking with one price)
  • daniel_b
    Fair do's CM.

I messaged them to see if they would do a partial build, as I have new handlebars, seatpost, stem, handlebar tape, and saddle sat around, but they weren't able to accommodate it which is a shame, but thought it was worth an ask.

I did have a quick look at using my stock of parts, and buying a disc ready frame, disc ready wheels (Aksiums probably), and groupset, but am I correct in thinking the really 'expensive' bit would be the Ultegra hydraulic brakes, as assume it's a unit cost, ie the levers are specific, the hydraulic cables, and the discs to fit on the wheels.

I don't need it, but if the 54cm Scott is a revelation to ride, then it might strengthen the idea of replacing the Marin as my winter bike (Which I have made comfortable with an inline post and 60mm stem), and I might sell the Felt as well, as that is also too big really, being a 56, even though it is minty mint and wonderfully yellow!

But then I don't specifically need a CX bike, just one I can fit mudguards too, and an option of a rack - I don't commute, as I walk to work now, but would be good to have the option.

Was there any other bikes you were considering before pulling the trigger on this?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Daniel B wrote:
    Was there any other bikes you were considering before pulling the trigger on this?
    Canyon Inflite. Though it's more expensive at £1450
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    There's also the cube cross race disc pro at £1399 to consider - you may be able to test ride one at a cube stockist.
  • cookeeemonster
    dhope wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Canyon Inflite. Though it's more expensive at £1450

Yeah this. Everything else was either a lot more money for the spec (+400) or was a lesser spec and heavier.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks gents - Canyon looks nice.

Cube looks nicer to my eye, but seems heavy compared to the Rose.

Does anyone have a Rose in Black?
    Can't quite work out if it's a matte finish?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • cookeeemonster
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks gents - Canyon looks nice.

Cube looks nicer to my eye, but seems heavy compared to the Rose.

Does anyone have a Rose in Black?
    Can't quite work out if it's a matte finish?

It's either matte or satin. Search for a thread called rose dx 2000 or similar to find some forum pics of the black version
  • daniel_b
    Will do ta.

Also noticed the cube appears to possibly have an aluminium fork?

And have also noticed that the shimano hydraulic brakes and shifters seem to be £400 on their own.
    A stock ultegra groupset is £450, though you could probably sell the shifters for 150.
    Wheels and tyres are £200, which takes it up to £900 already. So the frame is appearing to be verging on not costing much at all - as it were. Seems incredible value, hence this thread!

Any idea how many miles one might expect a set of pads to last?
    I would be doing longer rides, not traffic light heavy, and probably around 3000 miles per year, in the nastier weather.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18