Advice on 'BOOST' System

richag7791
richag7791 Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I could really do with some good advice and guidance please re the new 'BOOST' system recently launched by SRAM and Rockshox.

I'm a newbie who after much researching has just taken the decision to purchase my first full susser! :) The bike is on order, but I do still have the option to cancel as no money has yet been handed over.

I'm trying to understand the repercussions of this new 'BOOST system' and how it will affect future replacement parts etc that I might need? The reason this is relevant to me is because my new bike is a considerable investment which I'm not planning to keep swapping (hoping to last 10 years!). So basically I just want to know should I wait to see what happens with the new BOOST system, or am I going to be stuck with a bike which I may be forced to swap because I can no longer get reasonably priced parts? This is my big concern.

Hope you can help!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM call it a technology (clearly they don't own a dictionary), it's just wider hubs (and associated parts to make it work), but until you are spending a LOT of money and have a frame that is compatable (which won't be in cheaper bikes) I wouldn't worry about it overly. What have you ordered and have you found a 'BOOST' bike at anywhere near the same price?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks - I've ordered a Rose Root Miller (spec is simply unbeatably for the money - even compared to Canyon etc). Cost over £2k which for me is a ridiculous sum to pay for a bike - hence the concern - but I've been caught by the MTB bug which has removed my senses and better judgement! :)

As I suspected, it was the fact that the existing frame wouldn't be compatible with wider hubs/forks that was making me a little nervous as there's no cheap solution. If it's just a fad, then probably I needn't worry, the wider components will be heavier anyway so hopefully it wont catch on to the extent everything else becomes obsolete
  • The Rookie
    If it ever takes off as common, it won't be for a long time, the frame is what the frame is, it will probably take a 'Boost' fork (which doesn't affect fitment to the frame) at the front if you ever get desperate to waste some money!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dont worry. Most good rear hubs can be adapted for different width frames so there will probably be adaptors for hubs IF it ever does become the norm.
    The cycling industry is in danger of scaring people off of buying new bikes if they keep making things obsolete. Who's going to spend thousands on a bike which is obsolete in two years?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    it will probably take a 'Boost' fork (which doesn't affect fitment to the frame) at the front if you ever get desperate to waste some money!

Yes you are quite right didn't think of that!
    The cycling industry is in danger of scaring people off of buying new bikes if they keep making things obsolete. Who's going to spend thousands on a bike which is obsolete in two years?

Rockmonkey - oh so true! I hope you are right but there are always some with more money than sense!
  • The Rookie
    I'm just amazed that my bike with it's 2007 frame and 2006 fork and 26" wheels can actually be ridden at all, it's all so 'last year' you'd think it would either fall apart or be totally horrid and 'useless' to ride.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I suspect it is, isn't it? ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Haha.....