Rust coming from headset?

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited April 2015 in Workshop
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_race.html

I have the above Boardman Race and since I've had it I've had problems with rust coming down the forks from I think the headset, Halfords have looked at it several times and I've almost given up as it just keeps coming. I'll clean it up myself by stripping it down and it comes back again after time?
Would putting in a new headset sort this out, got to say this has been my biggest disappointment with this bike.
appreciate any help or advice
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,516
    are you are doing wet rides with no mudguards?

some headsets have poor sealing against water, so can easily become corroded

strip it down, clean and grease it all generously (bearings, races, all other bits including bearing seats in the head tube), though if races/bearings are corroded you may be better off replacing the headset

depends on the headset type, you may be able to fit one with better sealing which'd reduce/eliminate the problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I do ride in all weathers so probably doesn't help and no mudguards, I think replacing the headset might be the best option cheers mate
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    normal for the lower headset bearing to get corroded due to no mudguards - main defence apart from mudguards is for it to be adjusted properly with lots of grease. marine grease is waterproof
  • I'm thinking of replacing the headset, crown race etc and wondered if you could tell me what size I'd need for this bike it's a size medium?

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_race.html
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,516
    the spec says "fsa integrated", which is not enough to identify it

unless someone can confirm the model, you'll need to remove it, measure inside/outside diameter and check against fsa models to see which it is

the bearings will have a chamfer on one side, there are different angles available, you need the correct angle(s), you can judge angle by eye as it'l be 45 degrees or clearly not 45 degrees, the two bearings may not both have the same angle, do not get them mixed up

then you'll have the info to look at alternatives

i'd guess it's just a basic fsa orbit model 45/45, 1.125", maybe 41mm, but that's just a guess
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    I would be tempted to dismantle the existing and give it a good clean and pack with grease.

With some "sealed" bearings you can prise out the rubber seal to expose the bearings, use some automotive brake/clutch cleaner, let it dry then if its not corroded pack with grease. You should be able to get replacement bearings.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Take a look first. Sometimes the outside of the bearing race gets a bit rusty but (if the bearing itself feels OK) can be rescued with a bit of wet'n'dry/steel wool to take the rust off, careful cleaning to ensure no iron filings are left behind and reassembly with plenty of grease to keep the elements out in future.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if it's an integrated then worst case i'd just get new bearings, no need for a new crown race or other parts.

top bearing is usually fine, so could just replace lower, though as others have stated can generally clean and regrease it