Disc brakes on a Dawes Galaxy

iain37
iain37 Posts: 14
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I was wondering if it is possible to have dick brakes fitted to a Dawes Galaxy 2012 model.
The reason I ask is, I have a bike with disc brakes and I love the quick braking compared to the the braking on the Galaxy and I know they have disc brakes on the newer Galaxys

Comments

• munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Does it have disc mounts? Therein lies your answer ;-)

Quality typo, BTW, chapeau :-)
  • It depends if your frame and fork have mountings for disks? If not you could probably swap the fork out to something which is disk compatible and leave the rear as it is. The front brake normally does most of the work slowing you down so this might work out well. Or use it as an excuse to buy a newer bike.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Having just seen the bike in question in the "Your Road Bikes" section, I see you have cantilevers. Before you go as far as a new bike with disc brakes, may I suggest (roughly from least to most expensive) . . .
      • Getting a fork crown mounted hanger for the front brake
      • Replacing your stock brake pads with Swiss Stop green or Kool Stop salmon pads
      Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
      XM-057 rigid 29er
    • arlowood
      arlowood Posts: 2,561
      Also disc rear hubs need a wider 135mm drop out size. Yours will probably be the standard 130mm to fit normal hubs. If you follow Arthur Scrimshaw's solution then this wont be a problem. But if not you will have to spread the drop outs a tad and braze on some disc mounts.

IMHO best idea is to follow Giraffoto's suggestions to improve your existing canti's and start saving for a Dawes disc frameset or similar.
    • Smokin Joe
      Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
      iain37 wrote:
      I was wondering if it is possible to have dick brakes fitted to a Dawes Galaxy 2012 model.

Just spray some WD40 on the rims and you'll have Dick Brakes that are the envy of every Dick in the land :lol:
    • Monty Dog
      Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
      I have seen the consequences of brazing disc tabs onto non-reinforced seatstays - result was a snapped stay and collarbone!
      Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..