Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• gazl
    gazl Posts: 38
    if anyone is trying to find the 25mm one tubeless, just ordered a pair

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schw ... wg_id-5112

in stock
  • Spooked
    Spooked Posts: 90
    Hi guys,

Hope it's all ok to post on this thread. I've decided to build my own wheels. I did so when I was sixteen and fast forward twenty odd years of like to do the same again.

I have been running a pair of fulcrum 5's which flex and are pretty knackered now.

Just wondering what you would spec?

I weigh 75kg and primarily use the bike around sussex road so fairly punchy short sharp hills and undulating terrain. I really enjoy going uphill weirdly. I'm going to be using the bike once or twice a year in alpine locations too.

Quite like the look of the miche hubs but have also thought about campag record. Wanted to keep the build under £350 if possible.

I really have no idea what rims, spokes and hubs to use and wondered with some of your experience you'd recommed?

Guess I'm looking for something light and fairly strong. Really appreciate any help you can throw me.

Cheers!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Spooked wrote:
    Hi guys,

Hope it's all ok to post on this thread. I've decided to build my own wheels. I did so when I was sixteen and fast forward twenty odd years of like to do the same again.

I have been running a pair of fulcrum 5's which flex and are pretty knackered now.

Just wondering what you would spec?

I weigh 75kg and primarily use the bike around sussex road so fairly punchy short sharp hills and undulating terrain. I really enjoy going uphill weirdly. I'm going to be using the bike once or twice a year in alpine locations too.

Quite like the look of the miche hubs but have also thought about campag record. Wanted to keep the build under £350 if possible.

I really have no idea what rims, spokes and hubs to use and wondered with some of your experience you'd recommed?

Guess I'm looking for something light and fairly strong. Really appreciate any help you can throw me.

Cheers!

Wrong thread... copy and paste it in the right thread, I can't do it for you.
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'd suggest 90psi is too much for 75kg

I also think they they don't lose air on the road, but they will lose air " the shed". This seems to be a "thing"for tubeless tyres as it happens with MTBs as well. Plus, if they re tubeless tyres they should hold air on the rim with no sealant. The sealant is only for punctures. MTB "tubeless ready" tyres can be a bit more leaky.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Munkster- Did you put any sealant in?
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819

Indeed I did. I did do via the valve (after removing the core) using a Stans injector wotsit. Would have been very messy had I tried to do it the other way (leaving a bit off the rim) I reckon.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    munkster wrote:

Indeed I did. I did do via the valve (after removing the core) using a Stans injector wotsit. Would have been very messy had I tried to do it the other way (leaving a bit off the rim) I reckon.

Cheers.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I just use plastic syringes to squirt sealant into the tyre via the valve.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, nearly time to get the summer bike out, I've fitted some one tubeless 23 's to my fulcrum zeros, I'm 88kg and run 100 front and 110 back on a tubed set up, what should I be looking at for these?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    15-20 psi less I reckons...there is no set amount though obv...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    After the Tip off here about LordGun in Italy having Scwalbes in stock, I thought I would take a chance. Arrived in 5 days, postage 8 euros or about £5.75. If they get more stock I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Very happy cheers.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Have now ridden the following for at least 1000km:
    Bontrager R2s in 25mm
    Bontrager R3 in 25mm
    Hutchinson Fusion 3 23mm
    Schwalbe One 25mm

The Hutchinsons were disappointing and did not last that long, R2s were ok, the One were very good and the R3s are bit better still, being a bit more tacky and supple; though the ones can be picked up cheaper, neither will disappoint. I've used 4 different rims (Stans Alpha, Bontrager TLR, Pacenti SL23 and Velocity A23s) with them.

I've experimented with pressures as low as 65F/70R for a wet technical crit, though I am sub 60 kg. Low pressures are absolutely key to getting the benefit from these tyres. I cannot see any merit of going above 90psi, unless you're heavy and ride into pot holes all the time.

I've now done 15'000km puncture free on tubeless, it's no gimmick.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The front tyre started hissing and spraying yesterday 4 Km to the Kemmelberg during a moderately wet and very breezy Gent-Wevelgem... within 30 seconds it sealed. At the feed zone 10 Km later I topped the pressure up with a track pump... it only lost 20 PSI nd was still perfectly rideable and fast...

Gotta love these Schwalbe... now it's 3 out of 3 punctures sealed... :mrgreen:
  • DKay
    Are you replacing the sealant every six months Ugo? I'd had mine in my Ones now since last Sept.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DKay wrote:
    Are you replacing the sealant every six months Ugo? I'd had mine in my Ones now since last Sept.

I am hoping to destroy this pair over the next week or so in Italy... 8)
  • DKay
    I obviously don't ride enough.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DKay wrote:

Tubeless need to be ridden... I love them as they defy the point of having a collection of different wheels for all occasions... :D
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I've put a few more miles on my tubeless Hutchinson/Pacenti/DA wheels and have to say I am a complete convert. I may never go back!
  • ugo.santalucia
    munkster wrote:
    I've put a few more miles on my tubeless Hutchinson/Pacenti/DA wheels and have to say I am a complete convert. I may never go back!

Why would you want to go back to ride on what in essence is a bomb? We just need more choice and more availability
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Have just recently gone tubeless, Bontrager RXL Wheels with the Bontrager R3 tyres.
    First impressions, if I do get a puncture that doesn't seal its a phone call to get collected. The R3's are incredibly different to get on/off. Once the tyres were on I just had a leak next to the valve, just took a bit of tightening. I still lose some air overnight but no big deal. The Bontrager Tubeless system is good, its essentially fool proof as long as you have thumbs of steel!
    Have only done 2 rides on them so far so early days. I might be running mine with too much air, I'm 74 kgs, bike is about 7.5kgs, running about 100 psi. I normally run Bontrager R4's or Vittoria Open Corsa clincher. I have to admit I prefer the softer feeling compounds of the R4 - but obviously this is only available as a clincher.
    Will be giving the R3s more of a chance, any suggestions for what psi someone my weight should be running them at?
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

Tubeless need to be ridden... I love them as they defy the point of having a collection of different wheels for all occasions... :D

Well, through the winter I've been using Pro4 Endurance instead on a set of RS11s. I've now put on around 200 miles on my 23mm tubeless Ones and so far been happy with them. Weighing only 58kg, I've settled on running them at 70/75psi front/back and they ride great. Not quite as supple as a set of Open Corsas, but certainly comparable and they roll fast.
  • naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    Hi, seeking advice on going tubeless.

I purchased some Sl23/dura ace wheels at the end of last season. So far I have only ridden them with Pro3 SC 23mm and tubes. I absolutely love the ride these wheels give. I have fitted a set of Pro4 endurance 25mm, they measure 27.2mm, giving me around 3mm clearance at the front & rear brake and seat tube. Rear stay clearance is not a problem.

So for the coming road season I am looking to go tubeless. After scanning this thread, probably with schwable ones if I can get them.

Few questions:

1. Considering how tight the Pro4 endurance 25mm fit, am I going to be OK with one's in 25mm or should I stick to 23mm?

2. I will be looking to keep there use to racing, using them no more than once, maybe twice a week. Does this little amount of use effect the sealant? Will it harden quicker?

3. Anyone racing on tubeless have any preference to 23mm or 25mm and why?

4. On our short circuit based UK road races, generally between 5-8 mile circuits, would it be foolhardy to ride tubeless and leave the pump and spare tube in the car?

A lot asked here I know,but any help appreciated, thanks.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Can't help you with your first question, as I never used yours.
    2. No problem, but once you get used to tubeless, you will use them always :D
    3. 25mm; more grip
    4. With sealant? Leave both in your car. I never take a spare inner tube with me. I all the cases I noticed a leak (and you only notice the bigger once), the sealant will seal it or you will get back to the parking lot.
  • DKay
    On my SL23s, 25mm tubeless Ones measure-up at exactly 26mm wide, so you'll be fine.
  • naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    Thanks JoostG & Dkay, that helps a lot. So, now the hard bit, to find some in stock :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    DKay wrote:
    On my SL23s, 25mm tubeless Ones measure-up at exactly 26mm wide, so you'll be fine.

IME The 25 ONE measure roughly 8 mm more than the inner width of the rim so

17 mm = 25
    18 mm = 26
    20 mm = 28

With inner widths of less than 17, they still measure 25, but with a more bulb like profile
  • JoostG
    naylor343 wrote:
    Thanks JoostG & Dkay, that helps a lot. So, now the hard bit, to find some in stock :D

23mm in stock
    25mm within 2-7 days

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Schwalbe/One-Evolution-OneStar-Tubeless-Faltreifen-p36284/
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    23mm and 25mm are back in-stock at Bike24. It works out at just over £30 a tire.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=62612;page=6;menu=1000,4,22,35;mid=0;pgc=0;orderby=4
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Out of interest...as I have a couple of pairs of clinchers to wear out before I consider some but...what's considered a good tubeless commuting tyre? Between 25-28 I suppose. I mention commuting because I need some puncture protection - does tubeless remove the need for extra protection to any degree thanks to the lower pressures and sealant? Ideally I'd like a faster tyre...

Cheers
  • JoostG
    Out of interest...as I have a couple of pairs of clinchers to wear out before I consider some but...what's considered a good tubeless commuting tyre? Between 25-28 I suppose. I mention commuting because I need some puncture protection - does tubeless remove the need for extra protection to any degree thanks to the lower pressures and sealant? Ideally I'd like a faster tyre...

Cheers

Yes!

In the past I was avoiding particular roads (gravel, etc) especially in wet conditions. Nowadays? I'm searching for those roads..... :lol: