not buying but selling advice.

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited March 2015 in MTB general
I have never sold anything in my life to strangers.

So what the etiquette? Bit nervous about giving address out. I have my item on guntree and someone wants it. Do I offer to meet them on neutral territory but ill bring ID to prove im not dodgy.

Or am I just been a numpty?
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I never give out my address if meeting. Always meet in a public place, ideally with another friend. That goes for either buying or selling. If they don't turn up be very careful how you get home, they could be following you. And actually still be careful even if they have turned up. Some people like to swap phone numbers but I don't ever give mine out except under very special circumstances.

I don't see any need for ID though. You've turned up with the item you're selling. Not really sure what having ID would prove.

When I meet someone I usually do it before I go riding or at least before I go to the shops so that it's that little bit harder for anyone to follow me home. That's me being overly paranoid really though.

Other things to do are to make sure your pictures and description before selling are totally accurate and take lots of detailed pictures if it's a frame or something. There's nothing worse than turning up to buy something and finding it's not at all in the condition it was meant to be. Make sure the item is clean before selling. Try not to rush the buyer when they are looking over the item and answer their questions as honestly as possible should they have any.

That's just some of what I've learned selling about 60 or 70 items in the past few years. Most of that was posted and then you start getting into all of Paypal's terms etc as well but I still prefer posted. Selling face to face has always worked well for me as well though. I've never had a problem with any of the items I've sold because I'm always careful to take plenty of detailed pics and give a proper description as well as answering any questions as honestly as I can. Had a couple of problems with items I've bought before but that's usually been sorted without much hassle.

If you're looking to do more buying or selling anywhere it's worth taking a look at this post of Pinkbike: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=113294
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would never meet someone I was buying from in a public place, if it turns out to not be as described (or stolen) you've got no comeback at all. I'd also never meet in a public place in case he turns up mob handed and robs me!

Sold dozens of items over the years that have been collected from home without any issues. I think you are being a bit paranoid to be honest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I do most of my buying/selling on Pinkbike where there are plenty of people who are fishing for phone numbers and home addresses. So yes I'm being a little paranoid but better safe than sorry. It only takes that one bad time for things to go wrong.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I am paranoid yes. Although nothing really happens in our village crime wise but I dont want to risk it. I even check behind me as I near my street to check no one's following me.

Thanks for the link to pinkbike. Ill offer to meet in the local shop car park. I have all the owners manuals too so I see what happens.

Thanks.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I wouldn't buy anything off someone in a carpark. That screams 'dodgy'.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If they're local, why not offer to deliver to their home - that way you avoid giving out your address, but you don't have to look shifty hanging around in a carpark...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    I would never meet someone I was buying from in a public place, if it turns out to not be as described (or stolen) you've got no comeback at all. I'd also never meet in a public place in case he turns up mob handed and robs me!

Sold dozens of items over the years that have been collected from home without any issues. I think you are being a bit paranoid to be honest.
    This. But maybe leafy Surrey is different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably not that different to leafy Warwickshire!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I think it depends what you are selling: i.e. a AC/DC badge or a car...I have never had any issues either selling a pair of boots or my motorbike but on bigger items (bikes / cars etc) I do a receipt (a copy for buyer an a copy for me saying I sold it blah blah blah frame / engine number etc and he: blah blah blah bought it - and paid cash etc.)...

Get paid via Pay PAl and post it !

C.