Specialized tarmac drivechain

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Just bought a 2014 SL4 tarmac second hand. Absolutely love the frame but the Sora components not so much. Temped to grab 105 groupset and replace it all.

Would like to know what my options are because the current drive chain is running 52x36, 11-30 casssette, 9 speed, FSA Gossamer, BB30. Would 9 speed triple/compact be compatible and if so, would it require any mods? Also if I wanted to go to 10 or 11 speed then would this cause any issues?

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    chatlow wrote:
    Just bought a 2014 SL4 tarmac second hand. Absolutely love the frame but the Sora components not so much. Temped to grab 105 groupset and replace it all.

Would like to know what my options are because the current drive chain is running 52x36, 11-30 casssette, 9 speed, FSA Gossamer, BB30. Would 9 speed triple/compact be compatible and if so, would it require any mods? Also if I wanted to go to 10 or 11 speed then would this cause any issues?

Thanks

Going to 10-speed would just require new shifters and a 10-speed chain - everything else will still work together.

11-speed is a whole new ball game and would require new everything except probably the chainset. In addition you will need a new wheelset unless you can convert the 9/10 freehub to an 11-speed
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You'll need a new double chainset for 11 speed. There is no triple 11 speed front derailleur or shifters.
  • chatlow
    Hmm OK thanks - I will aim for 10 speed, not 11 then. I've been told to check what BCD my current chainset is and if it's 110 then I can swap it out for a compact easily.

This I've set my sights of minimum 105 10 speed compact.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    chatlow wrote:
    Hmm OK thanks - I will aim for 10 speed, not 11 then. I've been told to check what BCD my current chainset is and if it's 110 then I can swap it out for a compact easily.

This I've set my sights of minimum 105 10 speed compact.

Which is a double of course. So why not go 11sp if you're not going to a triple?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Why bother swapping the chainset? Doesn't matter what BCD it is if you are changing it, unless you want to re-use the rings or something.
  • chatlow
    You're right, I was contemplating just changing the rings but think I would rather change everything and make it 10 speed. Rather 10 not 11 just because of the price to be honest - assume it's a fair bit cheaper..

Only thing I was worried about is the diameter/length of BB and what cranks will fit.

Be going for either 105 or ultegra compact group. See what deals I can find for it.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    You don't need to change the chainset to run 10 speed, it will work just fine. As mentioned before, to go 10 speed all you need is shifters, 10 speed cassette and 10 speed chain. You're current front and rear mech will work too.
  • chatlow
    okay, thanks. Will check to see how much wear is on the front rings (only 9 months old) but will keep them if good. Quite like the idea of 52/36 so hopefully they are in good nic.

Will just go for 105 shifters, cassette and chain then :-)