10 speed link on 11 speed chain?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Eventually I will get "the right one" but in the meantime would a 10 speed KMC link be OK on an 11 speed Shimano chain or will it explode?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I wouldn't.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    What is it with cyclists?

Product designers and engineers spend all their lives making products that work together, then cyclists come along and try to mix and match stuff that was never intended to work together.

Have a word, read the instructions.

(yes, some combinations do work, but FFS, just buy the right stuff!)
  • munkster
    Well crikey, I consider myself well and truly told off. Who would have thought a single chain link could have fermented such a passionate defence for those beleaguered cycling component manufacturers' interests?

You'll be telling me I shouldn't have used a paper clip to replace that plastic thing in the fuse box next! :-)

To put anyone's mind at rest I will (I *so* promise) buy the right part eventually (as per OP), but having acquired an 11 speed GS off a friend yesterday and for the purposes of initial set up of gears and riding up and down the road (maybe even twice) to check it out I wanted to know whether I would be wasting my time with a part that was never intended to work with it.

Many thanks!

</thread> :mrgreen:
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Lol!

Sorry, it was a broadly directed moan, not specific to you. I just despair at the kind of 'I've got an 8 speed Campag cassette, can I use my 11 speed SRAM shifters to make it work on a Shimano freehub in a wheel spaced at 135mm in a frame spaced at 120 mm' kind of thing.

It seems peculiar to cyclists...
  • munkster
    I'll let you off. I think that it's not surprising that, with changing standards all the while and proprietary idiosyncrasies (I mean, setting up a 5800 105 front mech was an unexpectedly complex operation just now, with little widgets to tell me whether to move a miniscule "adapter" to direct the cable correctly, and a little bit of metal to protect my frame from another adjuster???) people are unsurprisingly trying to avoid spending unnecessarily. You could argue that £10 for two quick links isn't much compared to the price of a groupset, but TEN POUNDS for two quick links?? I have 9 speed ones, 10 speed ones, and now I need 11 speed ones? I'll get them, of course, but if there was any chance I could avoid doing so I think that's reasonable...

But anyway, about that paperclip... :shock: :wink:
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Go ahead and use it. I don't know for sure but I doubt it would cause any problems as the differences are so miniscule that the only thing to worry about is that it might cause some slight noise or slight hesitation when shifting, or maybe not. Try it and report back to us. Can't see anything catastrophic happening as a result and as you say it's only temporary.
  • munkster
    Well it works perfectly fine on the workstand, very well indeed in fact. When this hurricane subsides I may try it out on the road for real!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The worst that is likely to happen is it coming off when you're descending/freewheeling...I can't see it becoming detached when it's under tension.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    You will probably find it will knacker out the cassette and rear mech as it will be too wide and will rub.

You quite often find thinGo "work" on the repair stand but that's because you aren't putting any real pressure on the group set.

In the time it took to write the post you could have ordered the right part and then it would turn up by the time the wind dies down.
  • munkster
    In the time it took to write the post you could have ordered the right part and then it would turn up by the time the wind dies down.

I ordered the part on Sunday but thanks for the advice.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    On a similar note - I have used a 10 speed KMC link on an 11 speed Chorus chain and drivetrain. No issues, two years in, maybe more.

This was originally due to the 11 speed KMC link being non-resusable (though I don't know if that's still the case) allied to them costing a tenner each or something. It seemed something of a rip-off.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/ ... ity_307163

Will probably work - I would guess the tolerances are enough to allow it under most conditions, but it is wider than the whole drivetrain is designed for - most likely cause of problem (I would guess) is that it might snag something if gears are not perfectly indexed as there will be less room for misalignment tolerances built into the system, and it might snag prematurely on gear changes if the timing is unfortunate just as this link goes through. Most likely if it runs on the stand you will probably never have a problem.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    About 6 or 7 years ago, I broke my 9sp chain on the way home from work.

When I looked closely at it, one of the sideplates had failed at the rivet and I could see that several others were cracking too : obviously a faulty chain.

In my saddlebag I had perhaps 2 pairs of 9sp missing links and 2 pairs of 8sp : but there were more faulty links in the chain than that...

I got busy with the chaintool and chopped-out the duff links, lost a few short sections of chain where they were close together, then joined-up what was left with the 8sp and 9sp missing links

The chain was now too short so I kept it off the big ring, and was a 9sp chain stuck together with 8sp missing links : I figured it was good enough to get me home.

And it was : I couldn't tell any difference !
  • munkster
    Wish I could lock my thread like you can on the classifieds.