Bike Carrier - Saris Solo

Connorscotland
Connorscotland Posts: 34
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Bought a cheap carrier off ebay for £20 and what a mistake that was, nightmare to fit and just a terrible rack.

Got advised to buy a Saris Solo - Halfords have them on offer for £39.99, literally took 2 mins to fit and is very secure.

Saris say it does not fit a 2014 Focus but it actually does, its the rear wiper that can cause the issue but i can advise it does not cause any issues. Bike stayed on after a 50mile trip over bumpy roads etc

Here it is on the car, takes a full sus bike aswell with ease.

Hope this helps someone.

11081080_1071762832850674_4731582426781766623_n_zpszgfqdrzw.jpg

Comments

• Except lights and reg plate obscured which is illegal.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    And it's pulling down on the plastic spoiler ... same problem I'm facing having just bought a Saris Bones 3 only 3 times the weight is a lot more of a problem than 1.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bought a cheap carrier off ebay for £20 and what a mistake that was, nightmare to fit and just a terrible rack.

Got advised to buy a Saris Solo - Halfords have them on offer for £39.99, literally took 2 mins to fit and is very secure.

Saris say it does not fit a 2014 Focus but it actually does, its the rear wiper that can cause the issue but i can advise it does not cause any issues. Bike stayed on after a 50mile trip over bumpy roads etc

Here it is on the car, takes a full sus bike aswell with ease.

Hope this helps someone.

11081080_1071762832850674_4731582426781766623_n_zpszgfqdrzw.jpg

you call that a safe fit.

Not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Hope this helps someone.

Yeah, what not to do.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I too bought a cheap carrier off eBay. But it's a Thule 9402 and goes on the towbar a treat :)
  • I settled with taking both wheels off when I noticed it obscuring the rear lights.

Done over 150miles with it on the back with NO movement, the spoiler is going nowhere either.

Tried to fit the carrier on my RS but that spoiler gets in the way massively so I'll settle for running it on the company car.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    When the rozzers notice it obscuring the plate (and they will notice) that'll put a negative slant on the rest of your day.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Also - and I may be old womaning - but tell the insurance company that you use a bike rack and carry a bike on it. I conversed with my insurance company about a towbar and bike rack and they said that I had not mentioned it then I was uninsured - no premium increase as a consequence.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A towbar is a modification. A bike rack is not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mentioned this to my company insurance and they have noted it down that I use one but it made no difference to the premium.

I got a plate made today that will be attatched to the bike so should i get pulled over which i highly doubt the car is legal.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I got the same rack on my Vauxhall Astra and must say - I expected something better.

I bought it for £20 so not bad, and got it only to carry my dirty bike after ride as I didn't want to put it inside the car etc.

I use it just to transport my bike about 6miles - I probably wouldn't use it on longer motorway trips at higher speed etc.

The bike wobbles all the time it was rubbing my cars bumper etc had to put some protection here and there.

The good thing is on my Astra it doesn't obscure my reg plate and lights...
  • Strange that, I get zero wobble on the focus.

Might just be it doesnt sit right on the astra.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    My mate has one of these racks and an astra. Add that to a canyon nerve with a very slopey top tube and the combination is horrendous. I expect his bike to fall off every time I see it.
  • Cost me a small fortune to be able to transport mine and the familys bikes. I have a Ford Cmax which has a pants plastic rear spoiler with break light built in. No rear tailgate rack would fit as it would put to much pressure on the spoiler and ultimately pull it off or damage it.

My only option was a tow ball mounted rack as my wife couldn't lift a bike up onto the roof so will have been a chew on! I ended up fitting a flange tow bar at a cost of £190 then i bought a witter ZX300 3 bike carrier at £145. I suppose its an investment if anything but still.....Felt like i had my pants pulled down buying a so called FAMILY car such a the Ford Cmax. Don't most family's own bikes?

The witter ZX300 is a great bit of kit in my opinion to. (Once you known the best combination to attach and position your bikes. Doesn't take long before your away)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I got a plate made today that will be attatched to the bike so should i get pulled over which i highly doubt the car is legal.

it's not just the number plate, you need a lightboard.

Your bike obstructs your number plate and lights.

I dont care if you do or dont get one, just warning you.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If anyone is thinking about getting a Saris Bones bid rack... With a full sus 29er on mine, It has scratched the f out of my car bumper and boot lid. The Saris bones must move around a lot with a big bulky bike. Not happy as the car is less than a year old and the paint is wrecked already. Abraded deep enough that it won't polish out, the bumper will need a respray before I sell the car on. Its made me consider getting a cheap van.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Followed this tonight on A66 heading towards the M6. :shock: the cops would have loved sitting behind this one.

image.jpg1_zpsjp56tvnf.jpg
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    ben@31 wrote:
    If anyone is thinking about getting a Saris Bones bid rack... With a full sus 29er on mine, It has scratched the f out of my car bumper and boot lid. The Saris bones must move around a lot with a big bulky bike. Not happy as the car is less than a year old and the paint is wrecked already. Abraded deep enough that it won't polish out, the bumper will need a respray before I sell the car on. Its made me consider getting a cheap van.

My HT on Saris Solo also scratched my bumper and boot of my Astra; I had to make some protections for pedal and also for forks etc... as I said I use it only for short distance and when my bike is very dirty and dont want to put it inside my car - for longer trips I wouldn't trust this rack.

I think I have seen a police car twice behind me when carrying my bike on the saris...they didnt bother at all, but my reg plate is visible as it sits within the bumper not the boot.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Followed this tonight on A66 heading towards the M6. :shock: the cops would have loved sitting behind this one.

Were you riding a giraffe?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    ravey1981 wrote:

That made me Lol!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    Followed this tonight on A66 heading towards the M6. :shock: the cops would have loved sitting behind this one.

:D lol. No I was sat in traffic in my truck.