Seized shimano crank

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Has anyone had one of these before? It's an Ultegra hollow tech 2 and the left crank will not come off the axle. It's puzzling me as everything looks clean and well maintained, properly greased etc. I've tried a right good tug on it, a bit of rubber malleting, and I even gave it a quick ride with the bolts undone. No sign of it loosening.

Any help appreciated,
FT

Comments

• djsoftware
    djsoftware Posts: 199
    This might be a stupid question but you have flipped the bit of black plastic that has the pin on it out ? This seats the crank in the correct place on the axle but may be stopping the removal of the crank ?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Also another stupid question - but have you removed the bearing tension adjusting nut. (Plastic splined device screwed into centre of NDS crank arm)

Sorry but just exhausting all the possibilities.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    sometimes i find taking the pinch bolts out completely helps. wiggle the crank and it should come off
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And if you have removed the 2 plastic bits mentioned above you could try tapping a chisel or screwdriver into the gap between the pinch bolts to open it up a bit, then a plastic or wooden wedge between the back of the arm and the BB face for a bit of gentle persuasion.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Cheers all, I'm not making any silly mistakes, I'll give the wooden wedge a go.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Pour some iced water or even better some crushed ice into the hollow axle and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Then pour some boiling water over the crank arm. This might just be enough to help break it loose.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Cheers cranky that sounds fun, I might give it a go