Running cables under the bar tape.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,977
edited March 2015 in Workshop
After a quick splurge on CRC I find myself with a set of 105 shifters which direct both cables under the bar tape.

It it just a case of running them both along the front of the bar following the route of the the old single cable and exiting just next to the stem?
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    5800 or 5700, did they not include the Shimano data sheets?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    yes, you can run the gear cable at back of bar but i have never found that to be an advantage, even on a internal routed frame, sufficient cable length is key.
  • homers_double
    DJ58 wrote:
    5800 or 5700, did they not include the Shimano data sheets?

5700 but the manuals don't really mention cabling position.
    mamba80 wrote:
    yes, you can run the gear cable at back of bar but i have never found that to be an advantage, even on a internal routed frame, sufficient cable length is key.

Would it not run along the front?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some shifters have two exit routes, one which dictates the cable goes along the front of the bars, the other to the rear. Not sure if this applies to 5700. Somewhere I'd read that given the choice, Shimano technicians would recommend the rear routing to maximise the radius of the turn in the outer cable and help reduce drag.

Edited to add that the service instructions for your shifters do indeed mention the 2 exit routes.

http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18/57
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I assume that they came with Technical Service instruction SI-6TH0A-002 which shows the cables routed along the front of the bar, even though there is the option to run the gear cable on the back of the bar.

Download a copy of the Dual Control Lever Dealers Manual DM-ST0002-03-ENG.pdf from this page
    http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18/56 It covers 6800 and 5800 but may be of help.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    keef66 wrote:
    Some shifters have two exit routes, one which dictates the cable goes along the front of the bars, the other to the rear. Not sure if this applies to 5700. Somewhere I'd read that given the choice, Shimano technicians would recommend the rear routing to maximise the radius of the turn in the outer cable and help reduce drag.

Edited to add that the service instructions for your shifters do indeed mention the 2 exit routes.

http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18/57

^ This.
    When I had sram, it was critical that the routing was behind the bar, the reduced drag this way made a difference. I'm now back to shimano and without giving it a though routed around the back.
  • homers_double
    The back seems the obvious choice thinking about it, I shall procure beer in readiness for the fettling.
    Advocate of disc brakes.