Frame vs Fork

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

I am about to purchase a new MTB.

I am looking at a Scott Scale 760 which comes with an XC30 TK Solo Air fork. http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... -760-tw-l/

However someone on the buying board has drawn my attention to Radon bikes - http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rado ... wg_id-6198
The Radon seems to be a half step above the Scott on almost everything but i guess the biggest difference would be made by the fork.

Is the Reba that much better than the XC30 to take a punt on a relatively unknown frame?

I can get the Scott 760 for a shade over £800 from LBS or a never seen bike from germany for £780 by the time delivery etc is added. So it really comes down to a battle of fork vs frame?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Radon frame is as good as the Scott and the Reba is a lot better than the XC30
  • I'm running Reba now and had the XC30 on a previous bike. The difference is massive for me. I'd go with the Radon too
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    one German, one Swiss, probably both made in Taiwan...I'd take the Reba all day long
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. So Radon is the way forward...

I realise they are based and sold in Germany but how come I'm not reading much about them on this forum? The euro has been low for quite a while now.
  • ... Just seems a bit to good to be true and were all know what that usually means!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are mail order only, you won't find them in shops. In Germany they are extremely popular but yet to get big over here. They don't seem to be marketing as heavily as the other German brands (Canyon, Rose, YT, Cube) but they are good bikes.
    Nearly all frames, from all manufacturers are made in a couple factories in Taiwan. There's nothing in it as far as build quality is concerned. The difference between good and bad hardtails is the geometry and radon are pretty much spot on there.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^ what he said...

Radon are Bike discounts in house brand (effectively - same owner of both) which is why you won't come across them as often, the direct sales model cuts out a layer of cost which is why they are good value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Radon ZR Team 8.0 ordered