Attack on the climbs

speedjunkie
speedjunkie Posts: 69
edited March 2015 in Road beginners
Let´s say when im hypothetically at 90% in a steady climb , for a few minutes, i feel if i want to attack the climb aggressively i have 0 snap on my legs, and cant really change the pace, just continue the same hard effort.

Am i asking to much ? What i can do in terms of training, that will me enable to attack aggressively a climb and go full Anaerobic for a minute or two when i already been climbing at a hard pace.

Comments

• If you've not already tried them have a look at - Over-Under interval training, sounds like what your after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJubwUoMFo

Quite simply, find your max heart rate,, Start a 9 min climb at 95% of max for 2 minutes, then go all out 100% for 1 min and repeat this 3 times. Sounds easy... Its not but, effective for the type of training you want.. Oh and then repeat the whole thing over another 2 times.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Am i asking to much ? What i can do in terms of training, that will me enable to attack aggressively a climb and go full Anaerobic for a minute or two when i already been climbing at a hard pace.

I think you may be confusing terms.
    'Full anaerobic' is not a state you can sustain for a minute or two; it's more like a description of a full on sprint with a pack of wolves chasing you when you have steak and kidney pie wrapped around your willy. You can sustain it for about 300 yards then you collapse in a big sweaty heap (and get eaten by the wolves, starting with your willy.)

You could use a heart rate monitor and work out the maximum heart rate that you can sustain, then play about with that limit; going over it for a few pedal strokes and trying to recover. Generally though, the idea of charging up a hill when you are already riding hard is a bit of a fantasy...
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Yes, Intervals - of just about any type.

The critical component is to push beyond your current 'long duration' maximum for a while, and then drop back to a 'recovery' level for a while - repeat a few times, but make sure you are able to get back home.

This can be done indoors, or outdoors on flat or hills - it will be of benefit either way.
    Adapt the duration and intensity of the intervals to be similar to what you want to accomplish 'in real life'.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • If you've not already tried them have a look at - Over-Under interval training, sounds like what your after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJubwUoMFo

Quite simply, find your max heart rate,, Start a 9 min climb at 95% of max for 2 minutes, then go all out 100% for 1 min and repeat this 3 times. Sounds easy... Its not but, effective for the type of training you want.. Oh and then repeat the whole thing over another 2 times.

thks for the advice, going to try this.