Carbon steerer crown compatability

cborrman
cborrman Posts: 125
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an on-one fork that I am going to try on a kona unit that i bought to remond me of what steel felt like, and fancy playing round with a stiff front end and what it does to handling (snarf snarf).

Question is: the unit (2011) comes with a dreadful caged bearing headset that looks something like an fsa pig. I bought a pig crown and it sits perfectly, the problem is its a forged solid crown and I really, really do not want to force it down onto the carbon steerer, let alone think of how to get it off.

Have sanded to point of sore fingers, applied grease, etc, but there is no way its going on without some tapping, and then its probably never coming off again...

Thoughts.?

You cannot split the crown of a caged bearing race or can you? Would it not be notchy or are the bearings too well held in place for that?

I also do not like the thought of changing the headset as removing a bottom cup is tantamount to frame abuse and the bike will bear a grudge for the rest of its life, no matter how happy ot is with its super stiff front end...?..

I will upgrade the frame at some point me thinks, and would not want another pig headset, having fsa / campy angular ones elsewhere which afaiac are as good as it gets (no I have not tried Chris King yet)
s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No you can not.

I would buy a new headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't really want a crown race you can just push on by hand, using tools isn't an issue. I had to file the crown race (not sand) on my King headset on early SID Carbon forks - no chance you'd get it on otherwise.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    Thanks will try filing as do not really want to change headset. I have a 1cm diameter round file or were you using something smarter?
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It was about 12 years ago, I've no idea! I'd probably use a much smaller one though through choice.