when riding two abrest

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
On an ordinary road I.E. not a country lane or the like do motorists feel it necessary to either honk their horns in an agressive manner or hurl abuse out of the passenger side window. Do they not read the highway code?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Of course they do! A lot of them have it bookmarked on their smartphone and reference it while they are driving.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    It might be permitted by the highway code, but a little consideration for other road users goes a long way. It's not just motorists who should show it!

Do you NEED to ride two abreast?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    You don't "need" to go out on a bike at all, it's just one of those things like riding 2 abreast that doesn't really inconvenience other people to any noticeable extent and makes life more pleasant.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Is quite a useful way to make sure cars pass you as they should, rather than squeezing through between the cyclist and oncoming traffic.... which presumably is why they're irritated, because otherwise they'd be through, right?

If there's a clear road ahead, they'll just pass like you're a car and not inconvenience them.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Monkeypump wrote:
    It might be permitted by the highway code, but a little consideration for other road users goes a long way. It's not just motorists who should show it!

Do you NEED to ride two abreast?
    Generally I do ride in single file on the roads I'm on about, however, on the occasions I do ride two abrest I and my fellow riders should not have to put up with such antics.When driving I've never felt the urge to abuse any other road user even if they've performed the most idiotic of manouvuers, it serves no purpose what-so-ever. Not that riding two abrest is idiotic on the standard road.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I ride with a friend and where appropriate we ride two abreast. I always ride on the outside as I'm happy to "engage" with motorists
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Who's the second breast?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    It depends what you mean by an ordinary road, there are plenty round here where it is perfectly safe to pass one cyclist even when cars are coming the other way but not 2, well not safely anyway
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Chris Bass wrote:
    It depends what you mean by an ordinary road, there are plenty round here where it is perfectly safe to pass one cyclist even when cars are coming the other way but not 2, well not safely anyway

Width of one cyclist isn't all that big is it?
  • Is quite a useful way to make sure cars pass you as they should, rather than squeezing through between the cyclist and oncoming traffic.... which presumably is why they're irritated, because otherwise they'd be through, right?

If there's a clear road ahead, they'll just pass like you're a car and not inconvenience them.

This, and this
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    When Homer Simpson was asked if he was 'riding 2 abreast' when he was out with Marge, his reply was 'I wish'
    M.Rushton
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    On an ordinary road I.E. not a country lane or the like do motorists feel it necessary to either honk their horns in an agressive manner or hurl abuse out of the passenger side window. Do they not read the highway code?

It's because most of them do believe riding two abreast is illegal. Even on dual carriageways where there is plenty of space to pass they still feel the need to honk or brake test you when in a group :(
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    mrushton wrote:
    When Homer Simpson was asked if he was 'riding 2 abreast' when he was out with Marge, his reply was 'I wish'

Wasn't it Ned who said "I saw you cycling two abreast" to which Homer replied "I wish, I was cycling to a lake"
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill