Fitting 7090 Di2 on Pinarello 65.1 Think 2

mckeeja
mckeeja Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
anyone have any experience of fitting the 7090 Di2 internally on a Pinarello 65.1 Think 2. This original Di2 has larger plugs on the wiring harness than the 9000 series and when I bought the bike I was told they had used external wiring because the plugs would not fit through to gromets.
I was wondering if anyone was doing after market adapters so that I could use the new eTube wires which will fit through the frame then perhaps an adapter to fit into the mech. Doesn't seem like it should be impossible but I can't find anything on-line which suggests it can be done.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Dura Ace 7090 and eTube are not compatible. It uses a different system.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Get a Dremel and a small carbide burr, and very gently open up the holes to the required size. Or get someone to do it for you if you are nervous. It's very easy to do if you take time and care. Put some lacquer over the exposed carbon surfaces.
  • mckeeja
    Thanks, a Dremel might be the way to go. I'll take a look at just how much the holes need to be opened up by before I do anything. I think the problem will be at the bottom bracket as the others have the plastic cover and grommets which are more easily modified.
    I did some research last night and was starting to realise that this isn't just a different sized plug but a completely different system so an electrical adapter on its own isn't going to do the job
  • 7090 should fit - the holes in the frame are big enough. I've fitted it to a Think 2 with no problems. Battery fitted under the bottom bracket, all cables gone through the frame fine.
  • mckeeja
    ok - I need to check. I questioned why they had routed everything externally and was told that this model didn't fit internally. When I looked on-line I found that the first generation used larger plugs then the 9000 series Di2 used the eTube wiring system which has a smaller 4-5mm plug.
  • mckeeja wrote:
    ok - I need to check. I questioned why they had routed everything externally and was told that this model didn't fit internally. When I looked on-line I found that the first generation used larger plugs then the 9000 series Di2 used the eTube wiring system which has a smaller 4-5mm plug.

You can put the cables through the frame thin end first. the larger plugs might be too wide for the frame things but the end of the cable that terminates in the junction box in the frame will fit in just fine. Route them all in that way and you're laughing.

Your shop is talking sh1t. I'd ask for a refund and do the routing myself.
  • mckeeja
    Thought I'd follow-up on this in the hope that it's helpful for others. What I hadn't realised is that there are internal and external wiring kits. The internal one has a junction which is inserted through the bottom bracket and all other cables plug into with a small (4.5mm) plug which can be passed through the holes in the frame. The external one is connected in a single until and the plugs etc (and battery connector) make it impossible to use internally.
    Even the internal one caused me some problems as the frame inserts which the cables pass through on my bike weren't designed for the wiring. I suspect a new bike comes with 2 versions of each insert for either traditional cables or wires but I couldn't find these on the internet or even any confirmation of my assumption. But with a drill, file and a bit of care you can modify them then insert the rubber grommets and it looks like a factory job.
    Hopefully that helps someone else. I've now got a much better looking bike - well worth the cost of the internal kit and the investment of some time.